MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

MIDI drum sequencer recommendation?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author MIDI drum sequencer recommendation?
jkjelec
Hi All, I'm looking for recommendations for MIDI sequencer/controller to sequence drum patterns on a MAM ADX1 Drum synth. I've tried the MAM SQ-16 but I just can't seem to get along with it. It's important to me to be able to chain two 16 step sequences together and run/edit them in real time. (I think it's important to be able to have 16th notes available, and to have the 2nd measure different from the first. ) Also to control at least 10 different instruments/notes Like open HH, closed HH, bass, snare1, snare2 etc. An accent feature is important as well (I assume this is achieved by a difference in MIDI velocity)

Thanks!
Chopper
You want an Arturia Beatstep pro...
DiscoDevil
Zaquencer.
Panason
DiscoDevil wrote:
Zaquencer.

The Zaquencer has unbeatable features but the hardware is from the lowest point in Behringer's history. Mine fucked up after only a couple of years of very light use. Also judging by what I've heard from others, the encoders will fail and replacing them is difficult and risky as the PCB is of the cheapest possible quality... Mine has failed encoders AND buttons.
DiscoDevil
Panason wrote:
DiscoDevil wrote:
Zaquencer.

The Zaquencer has unbeatable features but the hardware is from the lowest point in Behringer's history. Mine fucked up after only a couple of years of very light use. Also judging by what I've heard from others, the encoders will fail and replacing them is difficult and risky as the PCB is of the cheapest possible quality... Mine has failed encoders AND buttons.

Truth. That's why I bought 5 of them when you could pick them up for $50 used.
DiscoDevil
Although, I have 2 that I've had since they were first released that are still working fine. I've had another 2 that started to have flaky encoder issues and another one that the power button mechanism broke.
Stereotactixxx
- Isn't Cirklon the answer to every sequencer-related question?

- Cirklon.
jkjelec
Thanks gang! I am off to do some studying!
ranix
the beatstep pro is pretty good, I do not regret getting it instead of a Cirklon one bit
Unborn Gore
If you don't already have a keyboard, consider getting synth that also has a sequencer. The sequencers on the Kurzweils are exceptionally good, and you get a VAST synth.

Otherwise, also check out the Futureretro Zillion:

http://www.future-retro.com/products.html#!/Zillion-Sequencer/p/506675 67/category=0
euromorcego
Unborn Gore wrote:

Otherwise, also check out the Futureretro Zillion:

as a drum sequencer!? For the MAM ADX-1!?

Please, best value for money by far is the Beatstep Pro (BSP). There is nothing even close. You have to set it up once using the computer, but then it is pretty much stand alone and quite powerful: you can chain, you can edit, add randomness, etc ...

The MAM SQ-16 is a nightmare (yes I used it), dunno the zaquencer but I doubt it has anything going for it that the BSP lacks. The Circlon is obviously a good sequencer (if you have plenty of time to wait, and $$$$$$).

No, seriously, the BSP is the one to go for.

Only alternative imho, is to use a drumcomputer you like to sequence the ADX-1. Something like the older electribes (where you can chose the note# for each sound).

If you want a more versatile sequencer, the Pyramid might be an option. Unfortunately the Five12 Vector sequencer does not have a dedicated drum mode, otherwise it would also be a brilliant option.
Koekepan
I would also suggest the Social Entropy Engine, if you can find one.

Very jam-friendly. Perfectly capable of everything you mentioned, and then some. Rock solid construction. Lots of potential for future composition in the studio and play on the stage.
BTG
Polyend seq
jkjelec
What an amazing community! Thank you so much everyone; I have no doubt I will find what I need after studying your suggestions. It was interesting to learn the that the Sequentix P7(?) (I had a kit 10 years ago that I never built) has thrived and grown up into the Cirklon.
hamildad
Doing my usual flag waving for the the Kilpatrick Carbon. my only caveat is that it is a 6 note polyphony, so you can only trigger 6 instruments at once from a pattern.

I rarely have 6 instruments playing at once on a step but my drum programming is pretty basic.

its a cool sequencer though, very good for messing around with sequences.
jkjelec
Can any Beatstep Pro users tell me if I can edit chained patterns while they are running? So for example I chain two 16 step patterns together so I have a single 32 step loop running; swapping back and forth between pattern 1 and pattern 2. Can I choose an instrument to edit, say the snare drum, and then turn on and off the snare drum in any step I want in pattern 1 while it is sounding, and then in pattern 2 when IT is sounding? So that I am editing the "32 step loop" in realtime? And the unit doesn't "hiccup" or go off timing while editing in this manner? For my needs I don't care if the edits could be saved; it's all about jamming in realtime.

Thank you in advance for any response!
euromorcego
you might have more luck posting it in a Beatstep Pro thread:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=184426&postdays=0&po storder=asc&start=25

last post there: "Im curious if anybody can write in the chained patterns while in this mode. It seems to behave like the old drum machine and not want to write while chaining patterns. You can remove a note and it reappears when that pattern comes around."

And indeed, you can edit while using pattern chain, but as soon as a pattern switches it goes back to the saved version, changes are only kept when the pattern is saved .... no hiccups as far as i am aware, they really addressed some of the early problems in the firmware updates.

Only drawback is still the usb power connector (which is flimsy). But the whole thing is also quite cheap, there are better sequencers for sure, but they are a lot more $$$$$.

Here is a video of gaz williams using it with the vermona

Panason
There's also the Twisted Electrons Crazy8 Beats..
roger
mpc 500 if you want to add some samples to your palette.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1