MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

An important lesson learned
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author An important lesson learned
windchill
I learned something very important last night: don't listen to Steve Reich's Music for 18 Musicians when having a break from patching.

All I could do afterwards was turn the modular off.
Nothing I could have done would come close.

hihi
kinkujin
I could listen to Reich round the clock. I LOVE his music.
Pelsea
Don't be discouraged. A better reaction would be to get the score and see if you can generate those patterns. Every good composer got there by studying other people's work.
Koa
Comparison is the thief of joy <3
windchill
Pelsea wrote:
Don't be discouraged. A better reaction would be to get the score and see if you can generate those patterns. Every good composer got there by studying other people's work.

I'm not really discouraged, just reminded that the generative, pure modular, music I like to make has obvious limitations (which is sort of the point after all).

I can go a good distance with my 520HP of Eurorack; I can make 3 or 4 independent 'Generators' (of the Keith Fullerton Whitman variety), create numerous, complex variations of melody using resets and modulations of LFO rates, and add cyclical phasing via shifting clock delays, etc. This sort of patch can sound pretty good.... but just generating the pitch CVs and gates uses up a lot of my modules, and obviously with only 3 or 4 parts it can't come close to the compositional complexity, nor the sonic richness, of "Music for 18 musicians'.
Dave Peck
Have you considered getting a simple DAW so you can overdub multiple patches?

Or maybe something like these?

https://reverb.com/marketplace/pro-audio?query=Tascam%2038

It opens up a ton of new possibilities.
Muff McMuff
What sounds could 18 modulars produce set up as an 18 Bloke Modular Orchestra? Has it been done already?
Medici
Every musician's kryptonite...
Funch
Medici wrote:
Every musician's kryptonite...
thumbs up
windchill
Dave Peck wrote:
Have you considered getting a simple DAW so you can overdub multiple patches?

Or maybe something like these?

https://reverb.com/marketplace/pro-audio?query=Tascam%2038

It opens up a ton of new possibilities.

That would be an option but after years of traditional music production and then extensive use of Reaktor, Max, and Nord Modular I sort of burned out and got lost in choice and a tiresome and destructive perfectionism. As a result I currently choose to work with only a hardware modular, and I treat it as a performance instrument. I find the limitations inspiring and my engagement (and productivity) have returned.

This working method may not be permanent of course but it feels right at the moment.
D_Robot
windchill wrote:
I learned something very important last night: don't listen to Steve Reich's Music for 18 Musicians when having a break from patching.

hihi

Interesting post, just over a week ago the near exact same thing happened to me. Only I didn't become disheartened just out of pocket.

I was listening to Steve Reich's Piano Phase which got me thinking about how to replicate it on my modular. Long story short I ended up dropping the moolah on a Satellite to go with my Control Forge (not the only reason for the outlay I hasten to add hihi ). Turns out there is a whole world of experimentation using the technique in modular.

So, at least as others have mentioned, finding a way to be inspired and expanding your knowledge is better than being disheartened when trying to learn from the very best.
ranix
windchill wrote:

That would be an option but after years of traditional music production and then extensive use of Reaktor, Max, and Nord Modular I sort of burned out and got lost in choice and a tiresome and destructive perfectionism. As a result I currently choose to work with only a hardware modular, and I treat it as a performance instrument. I find the limitations inspiring and my engagement (and productivity) have returned.

This working method may not be permanent of course but it feels right at the moment.

I have similar issues. I get crippled by having too many choices or something. I've found it helps to totally separate my MIDI gear from my recording gear. The computer that does MIDI and sequencing is 100% separate from the computer that does recording and audio routing. I use no plugins or software effects on the recording computer, its only job is to record multiple tracks simultaneously and sometimes play them back again.

It was kind of a pain to set up though so ymmv
hw408
ranix wrote:

I have similar issues. I get crippled by having too many choices or something. I've found it helps to totally separate my MIDI gear from my recording gear. The computer that does MIDI and sequencing is 100% separate from the computer that does recording and audio routing. I use no plugins or software effects on the recording computer, its only job is to record multiple tracks simultaneously and sometimes play them back again.

It was kind of a pain to set up though so ymmv

OT but may i ask what you use to record several tracks simultaneously?
Neo
windchill wrote:

hihi

Contrast that with Alesandro Cortini on a Buchla Easel. He creates a moving performance out of relatively simple sequences. I think the key is to create the compositional elements that you want to work with and then sculpt the results into an emotionally moving composition. You can do this by varying the sequences, riding filter cutoff's, modulation of anything. But the important part is to find a way to take the whole system into a moving performance. Then it doesn't matter if you can control 18 voices at once. It's what you do with the elements that you have assembled.
ranix
hw408 wrote:

OT but may i ask what you use to record several tracks simultaneously?

This might sound kind of goofy but I use Presonus Studio One (it came for free with one of my audio interfaces and it just makes sense to me). I don't record very often at all.

For live streaming stuff I use a free software called "Voicemeeter Banana" to select which ASIO channels from my recording interface I want to record from. It makes a fake microphone input from multiple ASIO inputs that you can use as the Windows default recording interface.

The hardware is a focusrite scarlett 18i20 with a behringer ada8200 adat expander. The best part about it is the Scarlett Mix Control software that you can use to send any input (and 4 mixes) to any output or combinations of outputs. I have one mix bus set up as the output going to the monitors, one mix bus going to the multi-fx unit and a sampler, and one mix bus going to a dbx266xs. The other mix bus is unused at the moment. It's pretty awesome I think.
vrfats
I actually have fallen asleep every time I see this piece performed seriously, i just don't get it I've seen it 3 or 4 times throughout the years abd guess I want to like it more than I do. Steve Reich just always seems kinda vanilla in many ways....

I feel like the framework of modular synthesis lends itself to making these kinds of sounds and rhythms pretty readily. 4ms scm, rings, o & c, sequencers...

The thing I enjoyed when I saw it performed last month was hearing 18 acoustic instruments playing together which the modular doesn't lend itself to. I still fell asleep though... I don't usually fall asleep at concerts but music for 18 musicians reliably puts me to sleep and I've tried many times.

Don't get me wrong I really enjoy minimalism but at the end of the day might listen to gamelan or Harry partch since both of those things are more tonally unique and interesting to my ears.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1