MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Erica Fusionbox (and phase inversion)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Erica Fusionbox (and phase inversion)
???
Just got one. It sounds sooo good. But it's terribly noisy! I wish it was more hifi with a clean delay, it would have been killer! Anyway still love it. I can always dial in something nice and I'm always removing the high frequencies with the colour knob unless I go for something subtle where you just don't hear the noise (on pads and continuous sound). You notice the noise with plucked and short arp sounds.

I notice a weird effect while walking in the studio while listening to the stereo output of the fusion box. Here the description from Erica: In stereo ensemble effect, the delayed, processed and filtered sound is added back to the dry (mono) audio with inverted phase for one channel, and direct phase in the other.

Does that creates problem on mixdown? I mean I really often use super short delay to create larger sounds (fabfilter volcano can do this with really really precise timing). And to my knowledge it doesn't make any weird effect when I walk around. I probably never get to the point where the phase is completely reversed on a channel.

So the thing is when listening into headphones, it's just marvellous, but in my studio it kinda sound strange, specially when moving around or just moving my head. My room sounds fairly good and is treated. It bothers me a bit cause it sounds unnatural in my speakers, could it be due to my room? I'm thinking so since it sounds really good in my headphones. And in your experience, does it cause any problem when mixing a song?

I really wish it had a phase knob or switch to play with the stereo field...
???
I've thought about using a static phase shifter. If I reduce the phase difference, I could obtain a somewhat narrower stereo field, and it would probably sound better in my room and in the mix?
???
??? wrote:
I've thought about using a static phase shifter. If I reduce the phase difference, I could obtain a somewhat narrower stereo field, and it would probably sound better in my room and in the mix?

we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy
Ra
You can experiment with a few static allpasses, but I‘m not sure it‘s really going to give you a much better stereo field. Not sure if this is possible in some way, but I imagine an ultra short delay - only on the wet signal - would work much better.
Inverting the wet signal is apparently a somewhat common thing to create stereo image, but I find it a bit cheap to be honest. It‘s not true stereo.
Futuresound
??? wrote:

So the thing is when listening into headphones, it's just marvellous, but in my studio it kinda sound strange, specially when moving around or just moving my head. My room sounds fairly good and is treated. It bothers me a bit cause it sounds unnatural in my speakers, could it be due to my room? I'm thinking so since it sounds really good in my headphones. And in your experience, does it cause any problem when mixing a song?.

In your studio, the out of phase channels are reflecting around the room and mixing together resulting in comb filtering, which is why it changes as you move and why it sounds weird. In headphones this doesn't happen.

And it won't usually cause problems in mixing per se, though there will be issues if summing to mono.
???
Thanks Futuresound! That's what I thought. I did a bunch of reading and this reverse phase technique seems to be pretty common.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1