MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Soundcard with 16+ inputs ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Soundcard with 16+ inputs ?
h4ndcrafted
I know I can use adat , but was just wondering why there are so few cards with so few analogue inputs ?

I was going to get a Behringer xr18 just to use as a soundcard, but I really need spdif to attach my monitor controller.

So far I know about the XR , an ESR one and the Roland Studio Capture, which is a bit long in the tooth, so out of stock in a lot of places.

Why do most soundcard max out at 8 analogue inputs ?
facklr
Cost and space.
calaveras
UAD Apollo X16
Antelope Orion 2017, Orion 32, Goliath, Zen Studio...almost all of their interfaces go up over 8 inputs, many go past 16.
rean1mator
motu 16a. love mine. and you can add a second using avb over ethernet
h4ndcrafted
facklr wrote:
Cost and space.

Oops yes, Ikm aware there are expensive options , trying to keep it under £600 / $800

Prefer rack mountable tbh , space isn’t a problem as far as soundcard a go anyway, so ok for that.
h4ndcrafted
rean1mator wrote:

This is the one I’m looking at most, although over my budget.

If I was getting that, I might just jump for the Tascam 24 I was looking at, or the cheaper soundcraft.

Although I don’t really need the mixing desk, I’m attracted to it just for inspiration that hands on can give.
Dave Peck
You're probably looking for something that uses a format designed especially for higher channel count, like MADI.

If you're okay using a separate rackmount box for the multichannel conversion, coupled with a multichannel digital input/output card, there are quite a few options.

For example, a Solid State Logic AlphaLink 24 A/D in & 24 D/A out converter connected to a MADI interface card like those from RME.

I have a couple for sale at a great price, but these are really good converters and they a bit above your $800 limit.
goldplate
Same question here... I love my MOTU 24I/O's, up to 4x24 I/O of top notch quality. If you have a desktop computer (because of the need of the PCIe(e)-424 card), don't look further.
h4ndcrafted
rean1mator wrote:

This is the one I’m looking at most, although over my budget.

If I was getting that, I might just jump for the Tascam 24 I was looking at, or the cheaper soundcraft.

Although I don’t really need the mixing desk, I’m attracted to it just for inspiration that hands on can give.
h4ndcrafted
Dave Peck wrote:
You're probably looking for something that uses a format designed especially for higher channel count, like MADI.

If you're okay using a separate rackmount box for the multichannel conversion, coupled with a multichannel digital input/output card, there are quite a few options.

For example, a Solid State Logic AlphaLink 24 A/D in & 24 D/A out converter connected to a MADI interface card like those from RME.

I have a couple for sale at a great price, but these are really good converters and they a bit above your $800 limit.

Ideally yes, but I don’t really need the channel count that can supply right now.

I need something a bit more humble.
CF3
Cymatic uTrack24
CalvaryBand
I have been using a RME Digiface USB for a while now and I am really liking it. It is essentially an audio interface with only Digital I/O, allowing you to connect up to 32 in and 34 out via ADAT and SPDIF connections. The nice thing about it is you can really mix and match your setup depending on what you need. If you only need 2 out, hook up your monitor controller to it via SPDIF and you're set. Then grab a few Behringer ADA8000/8200s for a massive set of inputs.
Kent
Mackie Onyx mixers
h4ndcrafted
CalvaryBand wrote:
I have been using a RME Digiface USB for a while now and I am really liking it. It is essentially an audio interface with only Digital I/O, allowing you to connect up to 32 in and 34 out via ADAT and SPDIF connections. The nice thing about it is you can really mix and match your setup depending on what you need. If you only need 2 out, hook up your monitor controller to it via SPDIF and you're set. Then grab a few Behringer ADA8000/8200s for a massive set of inputs.

I wasn't going to go adat, but this does seem like a great cheaper solution as I don't need the hardware front end as I do most things with Push 2.
Besides I was thinking about getting the behringer touch control anyway.

This might be a good 'middle' solution and keeps it modular and cheaper to replace and switch.

Thanks for all suggestions, appreciated.
calaveras
I know folks are on a budget, but I would never recommend the Behringer ADDA products. They are very overrated.
Basically they sound okay for the price, but you get what you pay for.
When I got rid of mine I was very happy to not have to mix things that came through that vomit colored haze.
I'd rather buy 20 year old, obsolete Apogee, Lucid or similar.
h4ndcrafted
nm
h4ndcrafted
TBH a 24 channel mixer with multi channel soundcard seems my only option right now.

Just realised Im going to need 24 channels probably with out least 2 outs for the rare times I send to external gear. Also need at least one spdif.

Just trying to make my setup as set and forget as possible, I just want to do the routing in software.

That where these faderless mixers seem to win. Seems silly to have something like a soundcraft mtk22 when 95% of the time it will only be used for tracking in.
What are yu guys using ?
h4ndcrafted
calaveras wrote:
I know folks are on a budget, but I would never recommend the Behringer ADDA products. They are very overrated.
Basically they sound okay for the price, but you get what you pay for.
When I got rid of mine I was very happy to not have to mix things that came through that vomit colored haze.
I'd rather buy 20 year old, obsolete Apogee, Lucid or similar.

Are they not using the midas preamps, or is that marketing ?

nm, youre talking about the converters d'oh!
ranix
I've got an ADA8200 and have had no problems with it so far. I don't use it for voice though, I have a Focusrite mic preamp that does a somewhat better job on my 18i20 interface. I do notice a difference between the preamps when using a microphone. If I was recording external instruments like guitar I think I would notice a difference between the Focusrite and "Midas" preamps. But I'm recording synths and drum machines, so no big deal.

I don't notice a difference when recording external synths.

There is a big difference between the XLR and TRS inputs on the ada8200, the mic inputs have a lot less input attenuation than the line inputs.
Technologear?
Kent wrote:
Mackie Onyx mixers

Note that you want the Class Compliant ones, which means 'not using proprietary drivers that the manufacturer needs to keep updating when OS s get updated'
So the first onyx series were class compliant but later versions weren't.
Many later onyxs are now doorstops because of that.

RME have a fantastic reputation for updating their drivers for their much older gear, worth considering as a variable when connecting stuff into a computer
h4ndcrafted
Well I was pretty set on getting the RME digiface and external preamps, butthen a Motu 16a came up for a good price. I don’t normally buy this sort of thing second hand so I’m hoping it’s going to work out fine.
thisoldhouse
The Allen & Heath ICE16 has worked perfectly for me. I use two of them for 32 in and 32 out. Bought each used for 500 and 600 and they’ve never failed.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1