MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

so few 3 OSC synths
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author so few 3 OSC synths
calaveras
Was tooling around with my OB6 and my SH09 and started wondering how we got stuck on this osc +subosc ripoff scam.
The sub osc is always a pulse or square. Never a sine, saw or triangle. So it doesn't really work a lot of the time. Giving a much rougher low end than a triangle or sine would.

When I listen to mid period Devo. When Jerry has the 6 osc MiniMoog. It is very evident. Such a ballsy big thing making the bass sounds.

Please, someone makes us our 3 osc per voice poly. or at least a real 3 osc mono.
skkatter
For bass I actually find myself turning off the third oscillator on the Minimoog Model D quite a bit. The three oscillators together tend to make it a bit too busy down in that lower end of the spectrum a lot of the time.
Michael O.
The reason the subosc is usually a pulse waveform is because they tend to be generated with a simple frequency divider.

As far as multiple oscillators goes I’m in the same camp with skkatter- generally when patching a bass sound on a minimoog/monopoly/whatever one or two osc’s sounds subjectively better, with fewer phase issues/weird beating, than 3+. For leads though the extra oscillators can really come in handy.

If you dig the 09 sound and want something with another osc with more waveforms on offer then the sh2 is exactly that, but you probably know that.
sduck
peak
Koekepan
Boog. Or Kyra. Or Blofeld.

Or software.

Or, for better wiggling of muffs, modular.

I do agree that a lot of analogue synths have somewhat limited capabilities in terms of sound sources, but if you have a couple of them (say, Boog and Neutron) the combination can be crazier than a roll in the hay with your ex while your wife watches.

Or so I'm told. By a guy. That I don't know very well. Yeah.
CF3
sduck wrote:
peak

I agree!
calaveras
skkatter wrote:
For bass I actually find myself turning off the third oscillator on the Minimoog Model D quite a bit. The three oscillators together tend to make it a bit too busy down in that lower end of the spectrum a lot of the time.

Yeah, I don't only miss it on bass sounds. But there is something about a mini with all oscs roaring at the same footage.
I also pine for it on higher register voiced timbres.
I've been doing this thing for a while where I patch a couple Doepfer Dark Energy units into a Roland SH09. It's fun because so many things. But it is not in the same league as a Mini.
DiscoDevil
Vermona 14 has sine sub oscillator.
Blairio
skkatter wrote:

I have a Moog GrandMother. It can do the minimoog's "3 saw wave" thing by pushing the LFO into the audio spectrum and tracking it from the keyboard. That's great for leads, but frankly 2 VCO's is plenty for bass. My preference is to have the 2nd VCO an octave or a 5th above the first.

My Mopho keyboard is handy for bass duties - 2 oscillators + sub-oscillator, helped by a decent keyboard with aftertouch. I can play the same patch on my Tetra - in fact stack its 4 voices + plus the Mopho's, in unison mode: 10 VCOs + 5 sub-oscillators playing a single note. Problem is there's not much space for anything else in a track.
unclebastard
Sledge 2 Black. Definitely 3 oscs, switchable and each has a level control as well.
milkshake
3 oscillator bass tip:

Osc 1 pulse.
Osc 2 & 3 two octaves higher and saw wave.
The root note now always stays at the same level and the harmonics interfere causing that nice chaotic beating you can only get with 3 oscillators.

Edit: if you add pwm to osc 1, the even harmonics will not interfere with the saws thus creating even more movement in the sound without changing the level of the root frequency.
tehyar
Prophet 12, Pro 2, Medusa, Quantum, Moog One, Pulse 2, Virus TI2, Blofeld...

Though some of those are more than three. Does that disqualify them?

Edit: System 8, JD-XA (though a mix of types),

edit 2: Prologue, Minilogue XD.
DiscoDevil
Modor NF-1 and Cwejman S1 are the only synths in my studio with 3osc. I rarely use all 3 for thickening a sound. The 3rd is generally used as a modulator.
anselmi
prophet 6 have a triangle sub, plus the other morphing wave oscillators, so you could achieve what you want, and even with epic results if you use unison and spread the voices
porphyrion
MatrixBrute
calaveras
I've never really gotten the same oomph from a digital synth with multiple oscs. Though I have to admit, I base this opinion off of Virtual Instruments.

I'll have to check out the Prophet 6. I'd assumed it was doing the same frequency divider subosc trick the others do.

Of course I am still paying off my OB6 so I'm not buying a Prophet, Quantum or Vermona anytime soon. Just....curious.
tehyar
calaveras wrote:
I've never really gotten the same oomph from a digital synth with multiple oscs. Though I have to admit, I base this opinion off of Virtual Instruments.

It's a mono, but you might try a Pulse 2. It's an analog bass monster.
Panason
You could just buy the Waldorf Pulse 2 I am selling oops
It's paraphonic actually!
Sir Ruff
milkshake wrote:
3 oscillator bass tip:

Osc 1 pulse.
Osc 2 & 3 two octaves higher and saw wave.
The root note now always stays at the same level and the harmonics interfere causing that nice chaotic beating you can only get with 3 oscillators.

Edit: if you add pwm to osc 1, the even harmonics will not interfere with the saws thus creating even more movement in the sound without changing the level of the root frequency.

yeah, this is really where any 2 osc + sub synth shines, e.g., SH-2. You get that solid phase-locked locked fundamental and still have movement between the two oscs.

But in regard to the OP's question, your SH-09 answers it--Roland were looking for cost savings in a competitive market. 1 osc + sub are kind of unacceptable these days, but I can live with 2 oscs + sub (see above). The OB-6 definitely sounds beefy enough as is with that arrangement.
Dave Peck
One of the cool things about three oscs is sounds OTHER than bass sounds, like various lead / sustain-y droney sounds. Because with only two detuned oscs, your ear quickly picks up on the rhythm and timing of the 'beat' frequency. It can still sound great but it is repetitious and predictable. But when you add a third detuned osc, and set two oscs just slightly apart with very slow beating and then add the third with a bit MORE detuning and a faster beat frequency, the cumulative detuning effect is far more complex and unpredictable as the phases of the three oscs interact. It adds much more 'movement' to the sound, especially when longer notes are sustaining.
Muzone
DSI evolver - four oscillators (two analogue, two digital), does pretty decent bass, amongst other things smile
Josef_K
Dave Peck wrote:
One of the cool things about three oscs is sounds OTHER than bass sounds, like various lead / sustain-y droney sounds. Because with only two detuned oscs, your ear quickly picks up on the rhythm and timing of the 'beat' frequency. It can still sound great but it is repetitious and predictable. But when you add a third detuned osc, and set two oscs just slightly apart with very slow beating and then add the third with a bit MORE detuning and a faster beat frequency, the cumulative detuning effect is far more complex and unpredictable as the phases of the three oscs interact. It adds much more 'movement' to the sound, especially when longer notes are sustaining.

I agree. I'd also like to add that I rarely feel the need for 3VCO poly sounds, since the different voices in an analog poly contribute towards the effect you're describing anyway. And in a monosynth, I find adding Eurorack-oscillators to my Moog Grandmother is way more fun and flexible than having a fixed-architecture 3VCO mono (I'd still love a Minimoog of course). I have Malekko Richter Oscillators in my rack and adding their quite different sound to the Moog is a great way to create subtle movements, it also helps that the old one drifts like nothing I've heard before haha smile
nectarios
The joys of modular, make your own synth.
Joking aside, I prefer a VCO and a square sub osc for basslines, as they are in phase and the bassline is solid all the time. I would even try some phase re-trigger for constant transients, unless I wanted some movement, or if I wanted lots of movement, just a second VCO beating around, does it for me.

In any case, nothing I have does bass like the A6, mainly because I can add sine waves, post filter so the bottom end is solid regardless of resonance/cut-off settings.
beatcleaver
korg mono/poly has four oscillators, it can get pretty thick on lead lines - and as others have pointed out, using three or four for bass can be a bit much, but occassionally works out well and the bass timbre becomes a bigger part of the overall sound.

minilogue xd too - the online demos sound good to me, but still waiting for them to arrive in Europe
GuyaGuy
MFB Dominion 1
MFB Dominion Club
DSI Tempest
Analog Keys if you count the 2 subs
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2