MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Moog Vocoder: Spectravox
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Moog Vocoder: Spectravox
Synth Con Meo
Hmmmm?

[/video]
rowsbywoof
I doubt this thing will see mass production, but cool little oddity to build as part of the Engineering track at Moogfest. Definitely doesn't tickle me the same way the Subharmonicon did, but... It's pretty cool.
Jason Brock
Insta-buy for me if it sounds good. But that short video didn't have much to offer with just a single steady pitch as the input instead of some nice chords/pad sounds. I hope they do release it.
booger
Definitely interested. I want a Sub-Harmonicon, too if they ever put them into production.
Dave Peck
separate fader for each band (nice!) but they are missing out by not including patching jacks for each band so you can 'scramble' them.
Dcramer
Sweet woah
DiscoDevil
First GAS pang I've felt in well over a year.
anselmi
I´d love to have a moog vocoder but the quality of this demos left a lot to be desired...I barely understand what he said...some people likes this kind of sounds but I prefer more defined articulation. Maybe it´s just this demos (I hope)
booger
What are the other units in his rack? The one above the vocoder is a DFAM and I assume the one above that is a Sub-Harmonicon. What is the thing with the switches at the top?
Jason Brock
booger wrote:
What is the thing with the switches at the top?

BFAM - Brother From Another Mother
It was only a Moogfest build, never officially released.
JakoGreyshire
mmmm yes.... we have yet to see the patch bay... The last couple of builds we've done had some interesting choices for the patch bay.

If you inspect the pictures from the teaser they released at imgur, you can see there is a carrier mix and a pulse width potentiometer.. Also a spot on the board for a switch(momentary?), which I'm assuming... will be a start button for the sequencer/slider spectral animators... And... a bunch of other stuff you can't see in the pictures.. HA!
angry

To see the patch bay would set me off the hook sommin fierce..BOOM!

https://imgur.com/a/IDKqdfN

JakoGreyshire
Dave Peck wrote:
separate fader for each band (nice!) but they are missing out by not including patching jacks for each band so you can 'scramble' them.

Oh wait....?? Have you seen the patch bay already?
Dave Peck
JakoGreyshire wrote:
Dave Peck wrote:

Oh wait....?? Have you seen the patch bay already?

No, that's why I was saying that it needs one. The video in the first post shows that there are no rows of I/O jacks for the individual filter bands.

So what can you tell us about this patch bay? Is it some kind of separate accessory? If so, how does it connect to the vocoder?

Or will the final production version of the vocoder just include the patch jacks as standard?
JakoGreyshire
The video shows Steve using the patch bay. It looks like maybe 16 patch points... At this point I can only guess at what they are...
Jason Brock
It's like watching people misunderstand each other in slow motion.
Dave Peck
JakoGreyshire wrote:
The video shows Steve using the patch bay. It looks like maybe 16 patch points... At this point I can only guess at what they are...

No, not the basic ins & outs patch bay - I'm talking about the type of patch points on vintage hardware analog vocoders, where each of the filter bands has a separate IN & OUT jack, so you can 'scramble' the bands, and do things like make the 300 Hz control band affect the 2KHz audio band. I'm talking about in & out jacks like the two long rows of jacks in this photo, a pair of jacks for each filter:

JakoGreyshire
Ah... I see ... so you would expect those patch points to be next to the respected faders then, eh? And that’s why you think that feature is not present. Cool! I see what you are saying. I admit that I was not aware of that feature in a vocoder due to a lack of vocoder experience. Also there definitely not enough jacks to accommodate such a feature.

Watching people misunderstand each other in slow motion should be the definition of internet forums in the dictionary.
hihi Just kidding...

It’s nice to be able to learn from knowledgeable people.
JakoGreyshire
Also, would that be considered audio cross modulation?
Dave Peck
JakoGreyshire wrote:
Also, would that be considered audio cross modulation?

Not really. 'Audio cross modulation' refers to modulating an audio signal (it's amplitude, it's frequency, or some other modulatable parameter) with an audio-rate modulation signal. That's not what is happening when you scramble the bands of a vocoder.

In a vocoder, the amplitude of each band is being modulated by an ENVELOPE FOLLOWER (a sub-audio-rate CV signal) that is rising and falling in relation to the volume of a particular narrow frequency band of some incoming audio signal. This is not the same thing as using the actual audio signal.

So if you DON'T scramble the bands, you get the constantly-changing frequency spectrum of some sound (like a voice) being imparted onto the spectrum of a different sound, as each narrow frequency band in the voice is turned into a 'volume control' for the corresponding frequency band in the second signal.

But if you DO scramble the bands, so there is no direct correlation between the rising and falling signal levels in the first signal (the voice) with the same frequency bands in the second signal, you can get all sorts of weird, complex filter effects as the spectrum of the second signal is still constantly changing, but no longer in a way that imparts something recognizable like 'speech' or whatever the first signal was doing.
JakoGreyshire
hyper Hot Damn! I knew I could get some awesomeness out of you with the correct stupid question in place!

thumbs up we're not worthy thumbs up we're not worthy

Yeah! That's what I'm talking about..... er.....Well, I would be talking about that if I knew about it anyway...

hihi hihi

That is very interesting to think about..... Yeah....

Please, do go on.... It's given me a few ideas with what an envelope follower could do in a patch... Probably some other cool things as well...

Also, Dave, what do you think the patch bay is going to offer, as in the usual patch points? Yeah, I know another silly question, but hey, Steve can throw in some strange things every now and again...

Last question: Are you going to go and build one this year?

thumbs up

Anyone else going to go build one this year?
Anyone else have any thoughts on what they might like to see in the patch bay for this particular synth?
Dave Peck
JakoGreyshire wrote:

That is very interesting to think about..... Yeah....

Please, do go on.... It's given me a few ideas with what an envelope follower could do in a patch... Probably some other cool things as well...

Also, Dave, what do you think the patch bay is going to offer, as in the usual patch points?

All I know about this specific vocoder from Moog is what is in this thread. My comments about features like filter band patch points are based on my experience with vocoders in general, not any particular vocoder.

To get a better idea of what can be done by patching the envelope follower from one filter band to the control input of a different filter band, I recommend you take some time to experiment first-hand - you really have to hear the effect for yourself.

If you don't have a hardware vocoder with patchable filter bands (not likely - they tend to be rare and expensive), you may be able to get a SW vocoder that offers this filter band patching feature. Or you could download and install the old Nord Modular G2 DEMO software and play with the virtual vocoder module in that product, which has this type of band-scrambling feature. Enjoy!
JakoGreyshire
Dave Peck wrote:

All I know about this specific vocoder from Moog is what is in this thread. My comments about features like filter band patch points are based on my experience with vocoders in general, not any particular vocoder.

Yeah, I know. I was just asking if you could hazard a guess... If you don't want to then that's cool... No worries.. I'm a part time daydreamer so, I like to wonder and ponder the possibilities.. It's probably not very good way to spend my time though, eh?

Dave Peck wrote:

To get a better idea of what can be done by patching the envelope follower from one filter band to the control input of a different filter band, I recommend you take some time to experiment first-hand - you really have to hear the effect for yourself.
`snip`
Enjoy!

Thank you for the enlightenment... I will do some research and experiment first hand.

thumbs up thumbs up
Dave Peck
JakoGreyshire wrote:

Yeah, I know. I was just asking if you could hazard a guess... If you don't want to then that's cool... No worries..

I have noticed that I really have no clue what Moog is going to do. They always surprise me these days, sometimes in a good way, sometimes not, but I don't think I've guessed right about Moog products even once in the past few years. This is fun!
JakoGreyshire
Dave Peck wrote:
JakoGreyshire wrote:

Yeah, I know. I was just asking if you could hazard a guess... If you don't want to then that's cool... No worries..

I have noticed that I really have no clue what Moog is going to do. They always surprise me these days, sometimes in a good way, sometimes not, but I don't think I've guessed right about Moog products even once in the past few years. This is fun!

Oh man, I know what you mean... "Sometimes good , sometimes not.."
Like the DFAM moogfest build has three jacks that are still kind of a mystery to me... Well, not really a mystery, but I don't use them much and they got changed out for the public release.. Which makes me want a blackfaced one for those patch points I don't have...

Anyway I hope there will be a CV for cutoff and Resonance... CV for pulse width... An external audio input... Shhehehh I don't know CV over the VCA, probably... Could get some choppy vocal stutters with that.. CV for carrier mix and modulation mix.....? CV in for pitch and gate in, becasue there is probably a VCO in there, maybe two?....

I'm probably not making sense right now... I see your point now.... Maybe it's because I'm a bit tired and just fixed a broken trace on a JTAG header, but It doesn't seem as fun guessing about cool patch points as I thought it would be..

Ha ha.....ha....aaaa.......a.........

Oh well....

Peace...

n-m-out
gentle_attack
Jason Brock wrote:
Insta-buy for me if it sounds good. But that short video didn't have much to offer with just a single steady pitch as the input instead of some nice chords/pad sounds. I hope they do release it.

I am quite the novice vocoder, but I could probably do better than that with a couple maths and a couple filters. If they are serious about selling a module that is supposed to do "that" they need to do a lot better because that was not very inspiring. Or the guy doing the demo doesn't understand the concept (which is hard to believe they can't find anyone at Moog/in Asheville who gets it).
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3