MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

2600 Compact
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author 2600 Compact
SOPiiAC
Gorgeous! applause
dKRelease
Progress update...

Prototype unit is now compete. All final front panels have been fitted and so the end product can now be seen. Im really happy with the way it's turned out visually, but most importantly it sounds phenomenal!

Doesn't look quite as attractive from the rear....

But as i say, this is a prototype and now that it is fully functioning I can order the PCB's based off this working model. All boards will then look like the 3 oscillator modules on the top row.

Next job is to build another one from scratch from the final PCB's to ensure they work as they should. I've bought an off the shelf Euro enclosure to house it to guarantee i haven't done something stupid and that they definitely fit.

I'm going to document the next one in a build diary on here so hopefully that will assist any others wishing to take on the challenge. I'll also try and get some more audio samples up soon.

Cheers

Dan
Funky40
dKRelease wrote:
I had to get the modules feeling right first and then the case fits around that.

thumbs up from me to this decission thumbs up

looks nice ! congratulations

personally i prefer digital lol but thats just me hihi
u0421793
One of the things I’ve mused about doing to my real 2600 is modifying one of the voltage processors to be a simple variable rectifier/folder or some kind of audio-rate wave bender. It might be an interesting mod for this one, too (and make the voltage processors more useful than otherwise).
u0421793
Also, if you take any further photos, it’d be reassuring to see something beside it to use as a universal global size guide, such as a vinyl record, or a bottle of wine or a standard EU size potato or something. Oh, I know – a three or four octave keyboard!
Happiness Forever
Very nice. thumbs up
dKRelease
u0421793 wrote:
Also, if you take any further photos, it’d be reassuring to see something beside it to use as a universal global size guide, such as a vinyl record, or a bottle of wine or a standard EU size potato or something. Oh, I know – a three or four octave keyboard!

Yeah i can do that next time i take some pics. If it helps, the outer dimensions of my unit in the custom enclosure are 530mm wide by 475mm high. The modules themselves equate to around 490mm wide by 390 high give or take.

I'm bound to say this but i honestly think it's the ideal size. I feel the balance between everything being easily within reach, and yet all controls having plenty of space to not seem fiddly has been struck perfectly.
dKRelease
Just took a quick one, not a great pic but it gives you an idea.

StillNotWorking
Beautiful, wish my TTSH r1 where modularized like this. Hate removing all the nuts when PCB has to come out.
Branko
Damn I'm 100% in for a PCB order
Happiness Forever
Maybe I didn't see it? will these/this be available as completed modules/unit or only DIY?
do you have any idea yet as to prices?
dKRelease
Happiness Forever wrote:
Maybe I didn't see it? will these/this be available as completed modules/unit or only DIY?

Hi mate, sorry I’ve just realised I missed your pm. It’s DIY only from me I’m afraid. Not decided price yet but I can guarantee it’ll be under £200, that’s for 10 pcb’s and 10 front panels.

Cheers
The Junglechrist
dKRelease wrote:
Happiness Forever wrote:

Hi mate, sorry I’ve just realised I missed your pm. It’s DIY only from me I’m afraid. Not decided price yet but I can guarantee it’ll be under £200, that’s for 10 pcb’s and 10 front panels.

Cheers

Would you consider it to be a good "first DIY" project ? From what i've seen behind the panel it doesn't look too crowded so I might try it, even tho I have no experience at all.
dKRelease
The Junglechrist wrote:
dKRelease wrote:
Happiness Forever wrote:

Cheers

Would you consider it to be a good "first DIY" project ? From what i've seen behind the panel it doesn't look too crowded so I might try it, even tho I have no experience at all.

I would say it would be an ambitious first project were it not for the fact that this is modular. It is essentially 10 much smaller projects which become a large project once finished.

Ultimately, if you think you will be capable of ordering all the components and soldering them in the correct places, chances are some, if not all, modules will fire up and work first time. It's if and when you have problems that a bit of experience comes into play.

If you've spent any time reading the TTSH thread you will see that people help each other out and generally everyone gets up and running eventually. What I would say is to follow the upcoming build thread where i'll be documenting the process from start to finish using the professionally manufactured PCB's, and you'll get a much better idea whether you think it's within your ability.

Cheers.
dKRelease
New demo video

No normalled connections on this unit so theres quite a few patch leads
The Grump
Ok, this is just awesome. Now... where might I find facilities for purchasing either kits or modules? They really are beautiful.
OB1
Oh yes! I love this! Definitely in for a PCB/Panel set ;-)
dKRelease
The Grump wrote:
Ok, this is just awesome. Now... where might I find facilities for purchasing either kits or modules? They really are beautiful.

Thanks! Not quite ready yet mate, just got to tidy a few things up and then I’ll be ordering the PCB’s. Build diary will commence shortly, then providing there are no issues they will be available for purchase.

Cheers
beyourdog
Randy wrote:
Please no reverb (or speakers). I cannot understand why the 2600 clones have continued to include those out-dated and completely unnecessary bits.

..There's more to a synth that simply plugging it in a home studio...having it sitting in the bedroom in front of the bed for instant tripping is a bit the idea with a 2600...The modern version of the musical box...

Great initiative thought !!!
Randy
That would make an interesting photo, someone lying in bed with a full-size ARP 2600 on their lap.

I think the original idea was for educational purposes but yours is an interesting twist on that.

Randy
JakoGreyshire
OB1 wrote:
Oh yes! I love this! Definitely in for a PCB/Panel set ;-)

+1

Enjoy the show!
dKRelease
beyourdog wrote:
Randy wrote:
Please no reverb (or speakers). I cannot understand why the 2600 clones have continued to include those out-dated and completely unnecessary bits.

..There's more to a synth that simply plugging it in a home studio...having it sitting in the bedroom in front of the bed for instant tripping is a bit the idea with a 2600...The modern version of the musical box...

Great initiative thought !!!

Yeah I agree. It's so much better now that the reverb tank is installed as you can get a sound close to where you want to it be before even looking at the computer screen. Even if you then go on to change the reverb, you cant beat that instant inspiration.

Another thing with the reverb, there's a lot to be said for the ability to create all those sounds entirely in the analogue domain. It blows my mind that a £20 metal box with 3 springs in and not much else has the effect that it does. The same goes for the synth in general though to be honest. Building this with your own hands gives you a different level of appreciation for what all those components are doing which I don't think you get with one off the shelf. That's the beauty of DIY I suppose!
dKRelease
New build diary thread here

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3073944#3073944

Might be a bit slow off the ground as i'm waiting for some parts to arrive

Cheers
u0421793
I’ve had an idea.

In the build diary you show a small panel to the left and a small panel to the right for each row.

What if it were one double-width panel on one side, and you shoved all the modules over a bit? That one panel would be able to hold two columns of jack pairs, many rows of them, and might make patching somewhat easier to overcome the non-normalised nature of this new configuration of 2600.

I don’t know if the side panel itself should attempt to be the focus of internal normalisation, or each one on each tier just act as a panel of ‘dumb’ (but perhaps pre-labelled) connected switch jack pairs for helping to hook up from the outside. If there’s any ‘bussing’ that could occur vertically just within the domain of that panel side, up and down. Or something. Maybe with toggle switches here and there. Anyway, it’s an idea.
bitflip
Very nice, well done! applause
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 3 of 4