MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Rossum Panharmonium Resynthesizer
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next [all]
Author Rossum Panharmonium Resynthesizer
Marco Alpert
For your reading enjoyment, the Panharmonium manual is now available at the Documentation tab here.
tiger001
are you liasoned with a brittish rockband ?

starthief
Marco Alpert wrote:
It looks like we're still on track to begin shipping next week.

How's that coming along? hyper
akavalve
starthief wrote:
Marco Alpert wrote:

Also curious! thumbs up
Mend
starthief wrote:
Marco Alpert wrote:

Yeah that emote is how I'm feeling about Panharmonium's imminent release!
ziggomatic
Control voltage shows they are in transit via UPS schedules to arrive today!!
Marco Alpert
ziggomatic wrote:
Control voltage shows they are in transit via UPS schedules to arrive today!!

Yes, as ziggomatic notes, we've been shipping for the last few days. However, we've got a sizable backlog, so it'll probably be another week or so until we're caught up with all the initial orders. In any case, they'll start showing up in people's hands very soon!
starthief
Excellent smile
SnipeCatcher
Was interesting to check this out. Look forward to more info/demos. The weird pocket protector death match stuff sure does make for a lot of unnecessary reading though confused
Mend
Looks like my Panharmonium and my Microcell are gonna arrive in the same week.

hyper hyper hyper
desolationjones
In stock now at Perfect Circuit.
Sandrine
I have just noticed this really cool module! Upon watching a demo I noticed how amazingly similar it sounds to the Reflex LiveLoop (especially in live pitch shift mode) so it's pretty interesting to me right off! GMTA thumbs up
akavalve
I just received mine. Still feeling my way around but here'a a vid using the filter evaluation approach (i.e. feed it noise and see what it sounds like). Certainly not comprehensive in any way but since there's not much out there, here's a something:

https://vimeo.com/350371027

It starts with a pulsed noise burst from Morapahgene and SMR through an Optamix, fades to 100% Panharmonium for some bit and then back to the dry source for comparison.
starthief
That sounds oddly pretty good around :40 to :52 or so, with just a few oscillators trying to figure out how to track noise smile

Mine is estimated to arrive Monday... looking forward to it!
Funky40
desolationjones wrote:
In stock now at Perfect Circuit.

......Juno had them also. Now they were sold quickly lol (edited a misspelling)

many shops have them.

waiting to hear from your usecases Guys hyper hyper hyper incl. audio
dooj88
akavalve wrote:
I just received mine. Still feeling my way around but here'a a vid using the filter evaluation approach (i.e. feed it noise and see what it sounds like). Certainly not comprehensive in any way but since there's not much out there, here's a something:

https://vimeo.com/350371027

It starts with a pulsed noise burst from Morapahgene and SMR through an Optamix, fades to 100% Panharmonium for some bit and then back to the dry source for comparison.

that's really cool how it starts with noise and slowly morphs into more tonal sounds. at one point the interation goes from a piano like sound to a saw swarm. nicely done.
starthief
Mine arrived today and I've been playing with it for about 3 hours total. Here are my first impressions:

So far I've been trying it with single synth voices as an effect, or "loading" it and freezing the spectrum. No full mixes, nothing especially tricky like hitting it with clicks and pops or whatever smile

Depending on how you set it, you will get:

- glitchy "bad MP3" processing.
- warbly oscillator that tracks input, but sometimes kind of oddly.
- harmonizing delay/chord freezer thing.
- spectral shimmer reverb.
- huge-sounding sub oscillator.
- big-ass pipe organ and string machine chords.
- total chaos.
- some combination of those simultaneously.

Seriously, the best results so far seem to come from slowing down the slice rate -- or syncing it -- and treating it more as "background support" for the input (odd reverb, harmonizer etc.). It's really nice for the kind of dirty ambient that I make, and honestly reminds me of working with Red Panda Tensor, except it comes in from a completely different approach than the "magical pitch shifting tape loop" concept smile

It's not designed to be clocked with an irregular pattern, but I did it anyway, with some feedback and gating the Blur CV, and it was very cool.

It seems to clip pretty easily and should have had some kind of gain control. But it's a pleasant soft clipping it seems, and I kinda like it.

Despite "stereo" ins and outs, the analysis and oscillators are mono. In L-FX-R mode, the dry signal maintains its original stereo image, while in LR-FX mode, "L" is a copy of the dry signal and "R" is the wet (with relative settings set by the mix control). The latter option is useful since you might want to post-filter the saw or pulse oscillators, or mix it in mid/side (which works really nicely).

Feeding it some audio and freezing a spectrum works well too of course -- it's like a completely separate application of the technology since you're now more likely to sequence the pitch and treat it like a regular VCO. But FM on it at audio rates is weird, mangled somehow by the slice rate.

Also the FM attenuverter has an extreme range -- for a nice pleasant slow warble, I had it set very close to 12 o'clock and still had to attenuate my LFO.

The waveshapes don't crossfade into each other, but switch suddenly. It would have been really nice to slowly morph from sine to tri to saw, especially since it can be CV selected.

Overall: it's not quite what I expected, but it's a damn interesting and cool module. I don't think it's going to be the next Clouds, and it's definitely not an "instant houseplant" sort of module. But it but it does have a lot of more esoteric ambient potential for those willing to work at it a bit.

Throwing this out there, but my wishlist for future firmware updates:

- a way to adjust gain to help avoid clipping without losing too much output volume.
- a way to tweak the maximum FM attenuverter range, or change the curve so smaller amounts aren't such a narrow band on the knob.
- a mode that splits odd and even oscillators between left/right outputs for a stereo image... perhaps with adjustable detuning between the two sides?
- morphing between waveshapes would be great!

Matte knobs... okay, that's not a firmware thing. But the glare on the silver part of the knob can make the little black pointer arrows hard to see.
natureclubcassettes
thanks starthief, interesting to read. maybe i'm way off mark here, but when i initially read about this module it sounded like an IRCAM in a box type thing to me, like 80s Bayle type sounds. weird to hear about the stereo image aspect as well, ditto on not being able to morph between waveshapes.
akavalve
starthief wrote:
Mine arrived today and I've been playing with it for about 3 hours total. Here are my first impressions:

So far I've been trying it with single synth voices as an effect, or "loading" it and freezing the spectrum. No full mixes, nothing especially tricky like hitting it with clicks and pops or whatever smile

Depending on how you set it, you will get:

- glitchy "bad MP3" processing.
- warbly oscillator that tracks input, but sometimes kind of oddly.
- harmonizing delay/chord freezer thing.
- spectral shimmer reverb.
- huge-sounding sub oscillator.
- big-ass pipe organ and string machine chords.
- total chaos.
- some combination of those simultaneously.

Seriously, the best results so far seem to come from slowing down the slice rate -- or syncing it -- and treating it more as "background support" for the input (odd reverb, harmonizer etc.). It's really nice for the kind of dirty ambient that I make, and honestly reminds me of working with Red Panda Tensor, except it comes in from a completely different approach than the "magical pitch shifting tape loop" concept smile

It's not designed to be clocked with an irregular pattern, but I did it anyway, with some feedback and gating the Blur CV, and it was very cool.

It seems to clip pretty easily and should have had some kind of gain control. But it's a pleasant soft clipping it seems, and I kinda like it.

Despite "stereo" ins and outs, the analysis and oscillators are mono. In L-FX-R mode, the dry signal maintains its original stereo image, while in LR-FX mode, "L" is a copy of the dry signal and "R" is the wet (with relative settings set by the mix control). The latter option is useful since you might want to post-filter the saw or pulse oscillators, or mix it in mid/side (which works really nicely).

Feeding it some audio and freezing a spectrum works well too of course -- it's like a completely separate application of the technology since you're now more likely to sequence the pitch and treat it like a regular VCO. But FM on it at audio rates is weird, mangled somehow by the slice rate.

Also the FM attenuverter has an extreme range -- for a nice pleasant slow warble, I had it set very close to 12 o'clock and still had to attenuate my LFO.

The waveshapes don't crossfade into each other, but switch suddenly. It would have been really nice to slowly morph from sine to tri to saw, especially since it can be CV selected.

Overall: it's not quite what I expected, but it's a damn interesting and cool module. I don't think it's going to be the next Clouds, and it's definitely not an "instant houseplant" sort of module. But it but it does have a lot of more esoteric ambient potential for those willing to work at it a bit.

Throwing this out there, but my wishlist for future firmware updates:

- a way to adjust gain to help avoid clipping without losing too much output volume.
- a way to tweak the maximum FM attenuverter range, or change the curve so smaller amounts aren't such a narrow band on the knob.
- a mode that splits odd and even oscillators between left/right outputs for a stereo image... perhaps with adjustable detuning between the two sides?
- morphing between waveshapes would be great!

Matte knobs... okay, that's not a firmware thing. But the glare on the silver part of the knob can make the little black pointer arrows hard to see.

Thanks Starthief. This pretty well captures my experience as well. It has a lot of cool sound possibilities but not the ones I expected. Still getting my head around how to use it and curious to hear what others are doing with theirs.
Funky40
to see the potential on vocals would be interesting.
....my brain hovers (in fantasy) around such uses wink

and Thanks for any feedbacks on this module !
williamjturkel
Got mine today. Feeding it back into itself via a compressor (MSCL) is quite nice.
nomass
After a few beers I fed mine some Coltrane and it sounded very cool.
thetwlo
nomass wrote:
After a few beers I fed mine some Coltrane and it sounded very cool.

thumbs up
this thing is crazy! very different than expected, but starting to love it!!
rklem
This is like dancing about architecture. Please let us HEAR something! cool
brandonlogic
rklem wrote:
This is like dancing about architecture. Please let us HEAR something! cool

Yes.
Let’s hear something that will make me regret canceling my preorder (hides)
Startheifs list of what you will get out of it isn’t exactly making me regret it.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next [all]
Page 10 of 13