MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

synth —> pedals w/ crossover
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author synth —> pedals w/ crossover
j_dowe
I'm running a modular synth into a series of guitar pedals and then into an amp. I'm looking for a efficient way to filter out the low end before certain effects (particularly reverb), but I want to still have the low end mixed back in after the effects.

Are there any convenient pedals that can do something like that? Or a combination of pedals, or some fancy device?
j_dowe
After some research, the best solution I can find is:

Rolls Tiny 2-Way Crossover (SX21) —> pedals —> summer (passive or active?)

There is also the [sfx] X&M which has both the crossover & mixer, but I can't seem to find one to buy.
seychmar
There’s also the Boredbrain Transmutron.
j_dowe
seychmar wrote:
There’s also the Boredbrain Transmutron.

ugly; but great functionality!

thumbs up
BugBrand
If I get my CrossOver Filter back into production (undergoing some internal updates - slowly) it might be interesting for the splitting function.
j_dowe
BugBrand wrote:
If I get my CrossOver Filter back into production (undergoing some internal updates - slowly) it might be interesting for the splitting function.

That would have a lot of creative potential w/ three separate outs.

Do the outputs have a level that will work well with guitar pedals?
kinkycables
Blend loop, and run a filter or eq in the loop before the reverb.

Klein Bottle would do it without having to add any other devices to the signal path.
BugBrand
j_dowe wrote:
That would have a lot of creative potential w/ three separate outs.

Do the outputs have a level that will work well with guitar pedals?

I typically work with line or modular levels. I would guess it might depend somewhat on the pedals - most modern ones would, I presume, be fine with line signals if levels are kept reasonably low.
milkshake
j_dowe wrote:
I'm running a modular synth into a series of guitar pedals and then into an amp. I'm looking for a efficient way to filter out the low end before certain effects (particularly reverb), but I want to still have the low end mixed back in after the effects.

Are there any convenient pedals that can do something like that? Or a combination of pedals, or some fancy device?

-If you keep your efx chain parallel, you don't need a crossover/filter/eq.

-You can make your own crossover with any filter module and a mixer. Depending on the filter, your mixer must be able to invert a signal.
Patch: Audio into filter and into mixer. Output of filter also into mixer. Depending on the filter, you should invert 1 signal into the mixer. The reason is that you have to subtract the filter output from the audio signal, the result at the mixer output is the "inverse" version of the filter used.
R.U.Nuts
Why not get a small mixing desk, hook up your stompboxes to a send and return them to a normal channel input. Then you can use the EQ of the FX channel to shape your FX tone. Bonus: You can go bonkers by turning up the FX send on the FX channel and thus create a feedback loop through your FX chain.
j_dowe
kinkycables wrote:
Klein Bottle would do it without having to add any other devices to the signal path.

The Klein Bottle looks nice!
w00t

milkshake wrote:

-If you keep your efx chain parallel, you don't need a crossover/filter/eq.

-You can make your own crossover with any filter module and a mixer. Depending on the filter, your mixer must be able to invert a signal.
Patch: Audio into filter and into mixer. Output of filter also into mixer. Depending on the filter, you should invert 1 signal into the mixer. The reason is that you have to subtract the filter output from the audio signal, the result at the mixer output is the "inverse" version of the filter used.

I think I'm able to follow that. I can do that with my modular, but by the time I step down my signal to the pedals I don't really want to go back into the modular... but maybe it shouldn't be an issue.
hmmm.....

R.U.Nuts wrote:
Why not get a small mixing desk, hook up your stompboxes to a send and return them to a normal channel input. Then you can use the EQ of the FX channel to shape your FX tone. Bonus: You can go bonkers by turning up the FX send on the FX channel and thus create a feedback loop through your FX chain.

Definitely an option. I'm trying to avoid too much bulk for portability, so I hesitant to add a mixing desk. I do like that bonus, though, and a mixer adds in other possibilities.
thumbs up

Lots of insightful feedback on this. Many thanks!!!
This is fun!
Bath House
This! https://www.boredbrainmusic.com/product/transmutron/

Just came out and is amazing.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1