MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Improv techno rack
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Play Out! Performance Modulars  
Author Improv techno rack
needto
Hi! I've been working on this patch for live improvised techno for a while, the goal is to play for about 50 minutes coming up with parts on the spot.

The rack is mostly melody-oriented, all drums are handled by the Digitakt.
I have a couple of sequencers running independently so that I can mix and transition between melodies and patterns: SQ-1 is controlling the pitch a BIA and a VCA it's going through, Voltage Block and Antumbra KLIK are triggering an EvenVCO through Three Sisters, Digitakt sends some gates through CV.OCD to the O_C Turing machine and triggers Plaits plugged into the Polivoks VCF.
There's a Ladik probability skipper that I can use to randomize the gates a bit, and an S-220 Dual switch that is sometimes used to mute the pitch CV for pedal note purposes.
A sidechain pumping effect is set up with two channels of the QuadVCA for stereo, a Ladik envelope and attenuverter.

Nebulae through Clouds provides some background textures, but I also have the Mixup's output copied to Nebulae's input, so that I can record a loop on the fly and mangle it. Sometimes it works out well, sometimes it doesn't hihi

The Neutron in the second rack is used mostly as a filter for the BIA, for playing out with one rack I'd probably use the Disting's filter mode (currently it's a VCA for the BIA) or get another small one.

Effects: Zoom MS70 for delays and Soundcraft MTK's built-in reverb. Need to experiment more with in-rack effects, maybe get a Chronoblob or something.

Some thoughts after recording a couple jams:
- Transitions are tricky and need to be practiced
- Want to experiment with alternating between two melodies/synth parts, atm i tend to just play out a melody for a bit and then move to another one completely, would be cool to establish some callback to a previous one.
- It will probably help to have something programmed in advance to start, so that the first 5-10 minutes are more or less covered, easier to get into the flow this way and transition to full improv.
- Initially it sounded a bit bright, happy and cheesy, but i think i managed to darken it a bit by restricting the amount of notes used, using darker scales, sparser notes, dissonant sounds and being careful with Plaits's settings, it's easy to overdo it with timbre in most modes.
- The balance between drums and synths in the last recording wasn't too bad, but it took a couple of tries to get the feel for the right levels.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/883097 (i have a CV.OCD instead of the mutant brain though)

Would be happy to hear what you think! hyper
Ypsi Kid
Very cool man, will check this out when I get home! Great to see other folks jump down the live techno rabbit hole! I've been trying and most I've been able to do is about 30mins.

Will definitely give you some thoughts/feedback when I get a chance to listen.

Cheers.
needto
Ypsi Kid wrote:
Very cool man, will check this out when I get home! Great to see other folks jump down the live techno rabbit hole! I've been trying and most I've been able to do is about 30mins.

Thanks man, looking forward to your comments! we're not worthy
Tbh I don't have a good feel on if it's good or boring or samey, most of what I get out of it sounds a bit simple to me, but making multiple layers of sounds that go well together on the fly is a whole other skill level. Having premade drum patterns feels a bit like cheating, but it makes a lot if it simpler

It's great fun to play like this, but I feel I'm only scratching the surface, need to practice and practice and practice. hihi
NastyNachos
Your video is great. Pacing is definitely there. I dig the change up at the 5 minute mark and again at the 7-8... and everywhere. It sounds pretty fluid and I woundn't call it "samey".

As far as programming intros go, I like to at least think of something beforehand. Some way to make an ambient wash to "cleanse" the room a bit before just jumping into it.

The drums sound good. Reprogramming drums isn't cheating. This kind of music it's not necessary for the drums to be groundbreaking... just a solid base and yours sound nice. The tones even change every once and a while which is nice.

I've been working on the same philosphy as you and I'm stoked to find your thread. Only thing I'd like to hear is some super simple subractive line that sounds more like it's sequenced with piano roll than with a euro style sequencer... however, I tend to do this way too much so it can def be used sparingly.
nklif
Great setup. Love how the VCO are steady and then you really tweak'em out and then the calm/break type parts, so much variety! Yeah, I envy that setup. Solid
b9
Very well thought out, and some great sounding stuff. Also digging the module selection in your rack. Thanks for the inspiration.
Ypsi Kid
needto wrote:
Great
Thanks man, looking forward to your comments! we're not worthy
Tbh I don't have a good feel on if it's good or boring or samey, most of what I get out of it sounds a bit simple to me, but making multiple layers of sounds that go well together on the fly is a whole other skill level. Having premade drum patterns feels a bit like cheating, but it makes a lot if it simpler

It's great fun to play like this, but I feel I'm only scratching the surface, need to practice and practice and practice. hihi

No worries man, sorry for the delay. Listening again, this is a really great set all around man. Moves very well between sections, good variety and overall good atmosphere. One idea I've been trying to get down is using a 2nd, very simple sequence to add or subtract to the main sequence - can add some really nice variety if you use different time signatures for phasing and then a precision adder to control whether it is a positive add or a subtraction from the main pitch. May add a piece you can play with every now and then for different sections.

Really great stuff man, I'm hoping to get to the (at least) 30min. I need to stop changing my patch - LOL. Definitely hoping you post more.

Cheers.
needto
NastyNachos wrote:
Your video is great. Pacing is definitely there. I dig the change up at the 5 minute mark and again at the 7-8... and everywhere. It sounds pretty fluid and I woundn't call it "samey".

As far as programming intros go, I like to at least think of something beforehand. Some way to make an ambient wash to "cleanse" the room a bit before just jumping into it.

The drums sound good. Reprogramming drums isn't cheating. This kind of music it's not necessary for the drums to be groundbreaking... just a solid base and yours sound nice. The tones even change every once and a while which is nice.

I've been working on the same philosphy as you and I'm stoked to find your thread. Only thing I'd like to hear is some super simple subractive line that sounds more like it's sequenced with piano roll than with a euro style sequencer... however, I tend to do this way too much so it can def be used sparingly.

Thank you so much for the detailed response, glad to hear you liked it!

Really nice idea with an ambient wash, I can see how it could work nicely in a live setting, will try to come up with a couple things for that, maybe load them up in the Nebulae. I found some weird stereo-panned percussion can also work well, especially in smaller spaces, to make an interesting impression right off the bat.

You got me thinking really hard about longer melodic lines - I could play something into the Digitakt on the fly (use the 4 bars available), would be a really nice alternative to shorter looping sequences. In fact, I looked up some of your live performances on youtube - they're great and the longer melodic parts and chord progressions are expertly executed, this is definitely something I would like to add to my repertoire as well.

nklif wrote:
Great setup. Love how the VCO are steady and then you really tweak'em out and then the calm/break type parts, so much variety! Yeah, I envy that setup. Solid

Thanks! Really happy to hear that, seems like it is after all possible to approach what I've wanted to do with the system.

b9 wrote:
Very well thought out, and some great sounding stuff. Also digging the module selection in your rack. Thanks for the inspiration.

Thank you, super glad you liked it! hihi

Ypsi Kid wrote:
No worries man, sorry for the delay. Listening again, this is a really great set all around man. Moves very well between sections, good variety and overall good atmosphere. One idea I've been trying to get down is using a 2nd, very simple sequence to add or subtract to the main sequence - can add some really nice variety if you use different time signatures for phasing and then a precision adder to control whether it is a positive add or a subtraction from the main pitch. May add a piece you can play with every now and then for different sections.

Really great stuff man, I'm hoping to get to the (at least) 30min. I need to stop changing my patch - LOL. Definitely hoping you post more.

Cheers.

Thanks a lot man, very happy to hear it's listenable - makes me want to push forward. The precision adder idea is very cool - I'll definitely try it out - I have a spare voltage controlled switch channel (Ladik S-220) in this patch, I think it could be interesting to turn the modifying sequence on and off intermittently (say add the variation at the end of every 4th bars).

I feel like the different sequencers helped with the variety - SQ-1 does really short polymetric sequences, VB is usually set to 16 steps (though it's possble to change that), O_C with Digitakt-produced gates can do longer ones - these options give it slightly different flavours - changing up voices and FX helps massively as well though.
Default1
Excellent set. I also feel its not samey - the variation and change to new melodies is spectacular, and the mix sounds perfect on my headphones. This is ready for the club. Good luck and keep working on your sets.
Virusinstaller
Yeah I agree with these guys. It's banging. Guinness ftw!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Play Out! Performance Modulars  
Page 1 of 1