MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Easel keyboard range.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Easel keyboard range.
mousegarden
I can't seem to transpose the keyboard down when using the complex oscilator at its lowest setting, it only goes up using the preset voltage sources.
Any ideas on this?
captnapalm
That’s expected behavior, unless the BEMI works differently than the original. The 218 can only add positive voltage to the CV.
mousegarden
captnapalm wrote:
That’s expected behavior, unless the BEMI works differently than the original. The 218 can only add positive voltage to the CV.

Thanks, but it's yet another "expected" limitation from an instrument that seems to kill my inspiration at every turn.
vgermuse
How about the polarity switch on the complex oscillator?
Be sure to send CV to pitch.
papz
Thanks to the 208 ToolBox's CV mixer it's very easy to make any CV negative and route it to any CV input, it can also accurately mix it with another CV, for example to transpose it down.
darmklacht@gmail.com
vgermuse wrote:
How about the polarity switch on the complex oscillator?
Be sure to send CV to pitch.

Exactly, this works really well. I could pitch the CO down to very very low frequencies. that sounds especially cool when modulating the timbre at audio rates
captnapalm
mousegarden wrote:

Thanks, but it's yet another "expected" limitation from an instrument that seems to kill my inspiration at every turn.

That's what happens when the choice is made to re-release a 40-year old design pretty much as-is rather than develop a modern version.
papz
Or that's what happens when one buys an instrument without knowing what it actually is and does. hihi
mousegarden
captnapalm wrote:
what happens when the choice is made to re-release a 40-year old design pretty much as-is rather than develop a modern version.

papz wrote:
Or that's what happens when one buys an instrument without knowing what it actually is and does. hihi

Both are true, but I've realised that Buchla's philosophy is a bit like Apple computers, it'll all be fine as long as you do it our way.
Thanks for the tips though, I'll as usual, persevere.
My love hate relationship continues, I'm going to cancel the sale of my Easel, just when I'm on the verge of throwing it's bags on the street and telling it to never darken my door ever again it goes and makes something glorious, and my intention is to make music on it that is not "Buchla-esque" in any way whatsoever, it's working, sort of, I'm in love with the rich overtones, and harmonics of the Easel, these reasons alone are why it's still here.
lumin
Hate to make somewhat of a cliche comparison, but it sounds like you were expecting the gas mileage, storage space and practicality of Prius in a Ferrari.
The easel's strength doesn't really lie in creating pedestrian sounds nor really fit comfortably in a setup that is built for traditional formatted types of songs. I, like you, have been trying. It can be used in any manner, but it will disappoint if you force it into a specific role it wasn't meant for.
mousegarden
lumin wrote:
Hate to make somewhat of a cliche comparison, but it sounds like you were expecting the gas mileage, storage space and practicality of Prius in a Ferrari.
The easel's strength doesn't really lie in creating pedestrian sounds nor really fit comfortably in a setup that is built for traditional formatted types of songs. I, like you, have been trying. It can be used in any manner, but it will disappoint if you force it into a specific role it wasn't meant for.

I have to dissagree with virtually every word you've said there! no offence intended, I just mean my experience with my Easel has shaped up in the most unexpected of ways, in a very conventional way!
I've been recording some contrapuntal pieces a bit like Wendy Carlos meets Tom Recchion, and the overtone structure and richness of the oscillators on the Easel is just perfect for those types of things, it makes my Moog sound quite dull and uninteresting in this context.
So I'm using it quite conventionally, but the results are unique and unattainable on anything else I have.
lumin
mousegarden wrote:

I have to dissagree with virtually every word you've said there! no offence intended, I just mean my experience with my Easel has shaped up in the most unexpected of ways, in a very conventional way!
I've been recording some contrapuntal pieces a bit like Wendy Carlos meets Tom Recchion, and the overtone structure and richness of the oscillators on the Easel is just perfect for those types of things, it makes my Moog sound quite dull and uninteresting in this context.
So I'm using it quite conventionally, but the results are unique and unattainable on anything else I have.

Nice one. Im interested in hearing what you've been coming up with. Been able to use my easel in a more typical sense, but replicating said sounds the next day/week/month has not been that easy. I guess I should have been more specific in that regard.
mousegarden
lumin wrote:
mousegarden wrote:

Nice one. Im interested in hearing what you've been coming up with. Been able to use my easel in a more typical sense, but replicating said sounds the next day/week/month has not been that easy. I guess I should have been more specific in that regard.

That's right, I can never seem to repeat anything the Easel, what's more, because the architecture/layout isn't typical, that makes it more difficult.
I know, as soon as I start an Easel session I just have record in stand by, it's the only way.
I must upload these latest things to Soundcloud, stand by. They are layered harmonies slowed right down, when you do that the richness of the Easel stands out even more.
mutierend
This track from my album is all Easel and an Eventide H9. I think I used the Aux Expander too.

[bandcamp width=100% height=42 album=2676471159 size=small bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 track=1557388096]
mousegarden
mutierend wrote:
This track from my album is all Easel and an Eventide H9. I think I used the Aux Expander too.

[bandcamp width=100% height=42 album=2676471159 size=small bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 track=1557388096]

Link not working?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1