MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

1010music Blackbox - Compact Sampling Studio
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author 1010music Blackbox - Compact Sampling Studio
DruidTek
1010music announced their new product "Blackbox" at SynthPlex today. It's a standalone tabletop unit that combines the Toolbox sequencer and Bitbox sampler firmwares, with stereo Reverb & Delay and some additional features, such as 128 step sequences, per cell filtering, a Song mode, touchscreen keyboard and mixer page. It's USB powered, so if you have a power bank you can make music anywhere. The audio I/O's are all stereo 3.5mm TRS, so you have to use splitter cables with it. I've been beta testing this for a couple of months and I have to say it's pretty awesome. The price is $599USD.

Stay tuned for more demos!

https://1010music.com/product/blackbox

taylor12k
nice to see a demo for this, very intrigued... but i hope it's capable of less "sequenced" and rhythmic use... such as:

- can you trigger samples to just play and loop indefinitely without having to "sequence" them?

- can different samples be different lengths not quantized to any bars or rhythmic structure?

- if the first question above is true, how many samples can you play at the same time? (ie: what's the voice polyphony of the unit?)

maybe the make of the above video knows?

thanks!
DruidTek
taylor12k wrote:
nice to see a demo for this, very intrigued... but i hope it's capable of less "sequenced" and rhythmic use... such as:

- can you trigger samples to just play and loop indefinitely without having to "sequence" them?

Yes, Clip mode is the one to use for loops and when loop mode is on and a sample is triggered, it will continue to loop indefinitely.

Quote:
- can different samples be different lengths not quantized to any bars or rhythmic structure?

Yes, if you turn off the quantize settings, samples run in a freeform manner.

Quote:
- if the first question above is true, how many samples can you play at the same time? (ie: what's the voice polyphony of the unit?)

Depending on the mode, each of the 16 cells can have up to 4 voices. I haven't tried maxing out the polyphony yet, but it's a more powerful processor than the series 1&2 modules, so it's quite a lot.
taylor12k
thanks! all great answers..

one other question... in CLIP mode, can you trigger a sample with a key? so you can transpose the loop down (varispeed style, not stretched or pitch corrected)... and/or does the pitch parameter affect both speed and pitch simultaneously (i hope it does) old-school style, varipseed, tape, etc.. ie: no stretching...

DruidTek wrote:
taylor12k wrote:

Yes, Clip mode is the one to use for loops and when loop mode is on and a sample is triggered, it will continue to loop indefinitely.

Quote:

Yes, if you turn off the quantize settings, samples run in a freeform manner.

Quote:

Depending on the mode, each of the 16 cells can have up to 4 voices. I haven't tried maxing out the polyphony yet, but it's a more powerful processor than the series 1&2 modules, so it's quite a lot.
DruidTek
taylor12k wrote:

one other question... in CLIP mode, can you trigger a sample with a key? so you can transpose the loop down (varispeed style, not stretched or pitch corrected)... and/or does the pitch parameter affect both speed and pitch simultaneously (i hope it does) old-school style, varipseed, tape, etc.. ie: no stretching...

Doesn't Varispeed keep the pitch the same but let you change the tempo? I know that's how the old Roland units used to work. Clip Mode works this way, but you can't go more than a few semitones in either direction before it starts to sound weird. The Slicer mode is much more practical for doing that kind of thing. Sample mode behaves in the traditional way, where going up in pitch makes it play back faster, and going down makes it slower.
taylor12k
no, varispeed is the "traditional" style of pitch shift.. the term taken from tape machines... and as simple as playing a lower (or higher) key on a traditional sampler... pitch and speed shift together.

ie: lower = slower

sounds like "sample mode" is the one I'm after, but, is one able to just fire off loops and have them play indefinitely in that mode? (like you said was possible in CLIP mode)

(sorry for the super specific questions!)

DruidTek wrote:
taylor12k wrote:

Doesn't Varispeed keep the pitch the same but let you change the tempo? I know that's how the old Roland units used to work. Clip Mode works this way, but you can't go more than a few semitones in either direction before it starts to sound weird. The Slicer mode is much more practical for doing that kind of thing. Sample mode behaves in the traditional way, where going up in pitch makes it play back faster, and going down makes it slower.
DruidTek
Sorry, I was confusing it with "VariPhrase". Yes, you can use Sample mode, set the Loop Mode to Forward and the Release time to 100% and you're good to go! thumbs up
borututu f.
Looks nice, although I'm not a fan of touchscreens at all. I guess you can launch clips with a MIDI controller like the one on the picture, but can other things like clearing a pattern or adjusting slice points of a sample also be edited via MIDI?

Also how does the sequencer compare to the one of a MPC? On the page about the Toolbox module it says the you can edit "note duration for all events" - independently for each note or all at once?
chorus7
DruidTek what effects does it have besides delay and reverb? How many effects per clip? Is the filter a multi mode?

Looks amazing... makes me want to sell my MPC hmmm.....

Many thanks...
DruidTek
borututu f. wrote:
Looks nice, although I'm not a fan of touchscreens at all. I guess you can launch clips with a MIDI controller like the one on the picture, but can other things like clearing a pattern or adjusting slice points of a sample also be edited via MIDI?

Also how does the sequencer compare to the one of a MPC? On the page about the Toolbox module it says the you can edit "note duration for all events" - independently for each note or all at once?

All of those parameters can only be accessed via the touchscreen at this stage. It's common for people who aren't fans of them to be pleasantly surprised when actually using them in person, though. Yes, the individual note lengths can be adjusted independently. Each of the 16 sequencers can have a different step length.

chorus7 wrote:
what effects does it have besides delay and reverb? How many effects per clip? Is the filter a multi mode?

Looks amazing... makes me want to sell my MPC

There's only Delay and Reverb, and they are assigned on the output page, so only one effect per cell. The Filter is a basic Low Pass/High Pass, -100 to 0 is the LP and 0 - 100 is the HP. I wouldn't be in a rush to sell your MPC just yet. 1010music's modus operandi is to start off with a rather basic firmware and develop it over time, based on requests and user feedback, so there's quite a lot of features that are lacking in comparison to a MPC.
taylor12k
very very happy to hear it has a high pass filter.... is there resonance?

any LFO or internal modulation of loop/slice/start parameters?
DruidTek
No resonance on the filter but it's quite steep, so it's useful as a Low Cut/Hi Cut. There are modulation slots for Level, Pitch, Start, Length, Loop Start, Loop End, Slice and Slice Seq, and the modulation sources so far are: Trigger, Velocity, Pitch, Mod Wheel, MIDI Volume and MIDI Pan. No external modulation via CV yet, but here's a quote from Aaron on the 1010music forum:

Quote:
Regarding CV, blackbox does have DC-coupled inputs and outputs. This opens the door for CV functions at a later date. Right now, it is is capable of CV sampling and playback.

Just to clarify, I'm not the developer or an employee of 1010music, just a beta-tester and user of their products.
geremyf
Any notion of bit or sample rate reduction? I think this looks pretty neat. I think I would jump with the ability to go lo-fi, and maybe some added, sync-able LFOs per channel...or at least the ability to record (or p-lock) manual modulation of the dials per step. I'm not looking for something crazy fancy, but I would like to LFO into sample pitch occasionally.

Also, it would be really great to be able to sample itself. I'm getting that we can do with with a cable, but maybe on the record screen adding 'internal' would be useful.
chorus7
DruidTek many thanks for answering all these questions we're not worthy

One more if you don’t mind...

Can you cue mix with it? ie send signal to headphone out instead of main outs? So to audition before introducing to main outs...
anselmi
stereo sample playback?

I mean: to load stereo samples and play them in stereo, not L/R panning of mono samples
DruidTek
chorus7 wrote:
DruidTek many thanks for answering all these questions we're not worthy

One more if you don’t mind...

Can you cue mix with it? ie send signal to headphone out instead of main outs? So to audition before introducing to main outs...

No trouble at all.. Yes, the headphone output monitors all of the outputs, so you could use output 1 as your main output, and set the cell you're cueing to output 2 or 3 and monitor it through the headphones, then change it back to output 1 when you want to introduce it to the main mix

anselmi wrote:
stereo sample playback?

I mean: to load stereo samples and play them in stereo, not L/R panning of mono samples

Yes, the audio engine is stereo.
DruidTek
geremyf wrote:
Any notion of bit or sample rate reduction? I think this looks pretty neat. I think I would jump with the ability to go lo-fi, and maybe some added, sync-able LFOs per channel...or at least the ability to record (or p-lock) manual modulation of the dials per step. I'm not looking for something crazy fancy, but I would like to LFO into sample pitch occasionally.

Also, it would be really great to be able to sample itself. I'm getting that we can do with with a cable, but maybe on the record screen adding 'internal' would be useful.

I'll let Aaron chime in and answer those questions. I agree some LFO's and internal resampling would be great additions.
1010music
DruidTek wrote:
geremyf wrote:

I'll let Aaron chime in and answer those questions. I agree some LFO's and internal resampling would be great additions.

DruikTek, thanks for all the answers above.

Resampling is a common request so far. I have also heard a fair number of requests for some kind of automation and internal modulators. Bitcrushing and sampling mangling has come up-but not nearly as much.

We appreciate all of the questions, comments, and suggestions. This is a new category for all and we look forward to improving the firmware over time.
DruidTek
My pleasure Aaron! Congratulations on the release and thanks for all of your hard work on this. I’m sure it was a massive undertaking! I have a feeling this unit may be quite popular. nanners
anselmi
1010music wrote:
We appreciate all of the questions, comments, and suggestions. This is a new category for all and we look forward to improving the firmware over time.

great product! will fit a lot of rigs...mine for sure

I don´t think I would use the sequencer since I have a Digitakt and the Blackbox seems to be the perfect expander for it

the stereo operation is a must, I really need this and it´s a strong point since the Digitakt is all the way mono samples

wishlist:

1. resonant LP/HP filter in the way of the OP-Z one (LP counterclockwise, HP clockwise)

2. filter EG

3. LFO (better x2)

4. more fx
shellfritsch
Will you be able to easily map most parameters to midi cc controllers?
anselmi
shellfritsch wrote:
Will you be able to easily map most parameters to midi cc controllers?

thumbs up

"performance" preset list of 20

option for power on in the last preset that you was worked on

ASCII keyboard conpatibility for text enter (samples and projects names, etc)

support for USB hubs so you can plug more than 1 controller at the same time (and 1 ASCII keyboard too)
Muse FTW
This looks really impressive for a standalone box. I'm usually wary of touch screens on instruments but I'm still interested despite that.
tiger001
what are the audio engine specifications?

KHZ?
bitdepth?

is it capable to locking onto MIDI clock and/or MTC ?
(as a slave)
VanEck
is there any way to do "ableton" style clip launching with this? that is something my pioneer toraiz lacks... if black box can do it, i think it would be the perfect companion.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 1 of 5