MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

1010music Blackbox - Compact Sampling Studio
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 [all]
Author 1010music Blackbox - Compact Sampling Studio
anselmi
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
No resonant filter that I know of, although to be honest I'd be far more interested in a decent parametric EQ and a full fledged compressor. Devices like these need EQ, Compression, Level, Panning, and Reverb. The rest I can outsource. But that's just what I'd expect.

oh, no! too much DAW...and less an instrument, like the MPC live...leave this stuff for computers and add instrument features instead!

reverb would be OK
Paranormal Patroler
anselmi wrote:
No resonant filter that I know of, although to be honest I'd be far more interested in a decent parametric EQ and a full fledged compressor. Devices like these need EQ, Compression, Level, Panning, and Reverb. The rest I can outsource. But that's just what I'd expect.

oh, no! too much DAW...and less an instrument, like the MPC live...leave this stuff for computers and add instrument features instead!

reverb would be OK

I respectfully disagree. You can use external filters, delays, etc, in a global fashion such as what the Blackbox uses, and then re-record the material using the output/input workaround that users have been utilizing instead of the new resampling.

EQ'ing every single sample is impossible with external gear, but it's important for a good mix. As we are all well aware, most of us don't like using DAWs or avoid it if possible.

Reverb is already there and so is a closed Compressor. I really wish they'd open the compressor up and allow for sidechaining.
versipellis
Anyone know if the 1010 blackbox can do tempo detection of recorded loops like the Octatrack can?
shanebroderick
Does the Beatstep pro and the Blackbox play well together?

Also wanted to know about the beat detection of recorded loops.
DruidTek
A new firmware beta has just been released on the 1010music forum:

Quote:
Thanks for all the suggestions and feedback. Based on your input we are pleased to make available our next beta release, version 1.2. Here is the list of what's new:

Simple granular synthesis. We built this enhancement in response to requests for loop crossfading--it takes the idea much further. Look for a new option in the Sample/Clip/Slicer drop down menu. Granular mode works as an extension to sample mode. You can define the pitch, start, stop, length, loop mode, etc. You also get these parameters per voice:
Grain size: 1024 to 16384, which is about 10ms to about 200ms
Grain count: 2-8. Running 8 grains sounds cool but eats up the processor
Spread: The amount of randomization in grain position surrounding the playhead
Speed: How quickly the playhead advances through the waveform.

Copy and paste of PADS. From the PADS screen, turn the lower right knob to the right as you will see a new control panel.
Recording templates: Configure the pad mode, launch mode, envelope, and MIDI setup--before recording the sample
MIDI Keys channel. Hook a keyboard to the blackbox and it will play the active pad directly.
Knob control of the event step as well as pitch and duration in the SEQ editor.
MIDI output channel per pad
Control of the edit position in the text edit window. You can finally change the beginning of a file or preset name.
Pressing the grid button in the upper left corner of most control panels lets you switch PADS or SEQS directly without returning to the main screen
New navigation style for PADS. There are now only two main pages per pad: The Waveform and the Control Panel. The control panel has several sub pages directly accessible by a toolbar at the bottom
Bug fixes:
Saving or Trimming WAV files a few minutes in length would crash the box
Sometimes the knobs, particularly the upper right one, would jitter
Sometimes the thru-ing of MIDI controllers would alter the value slightly
On short envelopes, there was aliasing

Please check it out and let us know what you think. Thank you for your support

The 1010music Team

I'm blown away by the Granular Mode. It sounds a lot like PaulStretch with the right settings! Lots of little workflow refinements added this time around. The box is really starting to become a very polished and powerful little beast!
vegeta897
First experiment with the grandular synthesis, and I'm really pleased.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1ixRYtBXYy/

Maybe I'm easily impressed because I have so little experience with granular, but I love all the tonal qualities possible with grain size and count. It's great that it automatically plays through the sample at the speed you set (independent of pitch), and obeys your loop mode/markers. And the spread is a nice way to add even more interesting variation.
VM
Can we have a verdict on the amount of "clicking" otherwise noticeable end-of-sample noises? This is mentioned in the Loopop review but he kinda just glances over it.

Are there any user-programmable workarounds such as very short fade-ins/outs that can mitigate it?
Gyroscope
VM wrote:
Can we have a verdict on the amount of "clicking" otherwise noticeable end-of-sample noises? This is mentioned in the Loopop review but he kinda just glances over it.

Are there any user-programmable workarounds such as very short fade-ins/outs that can mitigate it?

I don't know for the Blackbox but the lack of crossfading on the Bitbox makes it pretty much unusable.
Paranormal Patroler
Take 5 minutes to sign up at the 1010 forum and request fade ins/outs and cross fades like I did.
VM
Thanks Gyroscope and Paranormal Patroler.

Sounds like clicking is an issue. I want auto-crossfades on looped samples and auto fades for one-shots before i pull the trigger.
Paranormal Patroler
VM wrote:
Thanks Gyroscope and Paranormal Patroler.

Sounds like clicking is an issue. I want auto-crossfades on looped samples and auto fades for one-shots before i pull the trigger.

You can cut your own samples, so clicks are not really an issue if you do the work properly. But that doesn't mean fade in/out wouldn't be useful!
Gyroscope
Take 5 minutes to sign up at the 1010 forum and request fade ins/outs and cross fades like I did.

I did, about a year ago.
Panason
This last beta is impressive.
onthebandwagon
Panason wrote:
This last beta is impressive.

Do you have this and the SP-16?
Panason
I have the SP16 but not this, just curious.
onthebandwagon
Panason wrote:
I have the SP16 but not this, just curious.

Oh ok...
underthebigtree
Created this video today - thought some Blackbox folks would enjoy it.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 [all]
Page 5 of 5