MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

1010music Blackbox - Compact Sampling Studio
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author 1010music Blackbox - Compact Sampling Studio
lmgrovllum
Really into this tiny form factor and capabilities. Is there any sort of mailing list to get an alert when it becomes available again?
1010music
anselmi wrote:

the stereo operation is a must, I really need this and it´s a strong point since the Digitakt is all the way mono samples

wishlist:

1. resonant LP/HP filter in the way of the OP-Z one (LP counterclockwise, HP clockwise)

We agree. Stereo is essential. It is already in the blackbox (and bitbox).

Blackbox also has an LP/HP filter per voice. Please know that resonance, modulation, and enveloping is not currently available.
1010music
tiger001 wrote:
what are the audio engine specifications?

KHZ?
bitdepth?

is it capable to locking onto MIDI clock and/or MTC ?
(as a slave)

The engine is running at 48KHz and 24-bit. Blackbox sends and receives MIDI clock--but not MTC.
1010music
VanEck wrote:
is there any way to do "ableton" style clip launching with this?

The clip launching in blackbox is similar to bitbox. You can time stretch and quantize the starting and stopping times. There is also a toggle mode. Having an internal sequencer makes controlling the tempo much easier.
RichMakeGame
can you resample, either internally (eg, mix down several loops to one new loop) or externally, eg audio out > fx/pedals etc > audio in ?

are there options for reduced sampling bit rate/depth?

thanks
1010music
RichMakeGame wrote:
can you resample, either internally (eg, mix down several loops to one new loop) or externally, eg audio out > fx/pedals etc > audio in ?

are there options for reduced sampling bit rate/depth?

thanks

You can resample externally with a patch cable. At present, there are no options for bit reduction or sample rate reduction.
VanEck
hey there, thanks for the quick response. i'm not too familiar with how the clip launching works in bitbox. but essentially i am looking for something that i can configure a bunch of cells to be in a 'group", and when 1 of those cells is playing, the others in that group won't be. and then i activate another pad in the group, and it will start playing at a quantized interval and the other will stop at that same interval, like you can do when performing with ableton. so you can perform a song by triggering loops without overlap. is this possible with blackbox? i know you can trigger cells at quantized times... but not sure if you can have them configured in groups to stop/start like that so only 1 is going at a time.
1010music
VanEck wrote:
... i am looking for something that i can configure a bunch of cells to be in a 'group", and when 1 of those cells is playing, the others in that group won't be. and then i activate another pad in the group, and it will start playing at a quantized interval and the other will stop at that same interval, like you can do when performing with ableton.

Blackbox can do this. There are 4 groups you can assign to any number of pads and use quantization. Only one sample in each group can play at the same time.
VanEck
1010music wrote:
VanEck wrote:
... i am looking for something that i can configure a bunch of cells to be in a 'group", and when 1 of those cells is playing, the others in that group won't be. and then i activate another pad in the group, and it will start playing at a quantized interval and the other will stop at that same interval, like you can do when performing with ableton.

Blackbox can do this. There are 4 groups you can assign to any number of pads and use quantization. Only one sample in each group can play at the same time.

awesome. sounds exactly what i've been looking for to pair with my toraiz.
RickKleffel
For the Eurorack version, there's a measly-weasely 64 MB sample RAM with the promise of fast loading from SD card (?).

That's pretty much unusable and not consistent with "4 hours of recording".

I'm interested in something that gives me access to lots of different environmental recordings (long!) and speech/interview samples. Can I load up an hour of variety recordings and have them at my fingertips? 16 pads or a dozen or whatever per screens is nearly acceptable so long as I can pop between screens easily.

the build looks nice. But can it hoe the row?
1010music
RickKleffel wrote:
For the Eurorack version, there's a measly-weasely 64 MB sample RAM with the promise of fast loading from SD card (?).

That's pretty much unusable and not consistent with "4 hours of recording".

I'm interested in something that gives me access to lots of different environmental recordings (long!) and speech/interview samples. Can I load up an hour of variety recordings and have them at my fingertips? 16 pads or a dozen or whatever per screens is nearly acceptable so long as I can pop between screens easily.

the build looks nice. But can it hoe the row?

You have some very old school assumptions about samplers. In the beginning, samplers loaded all the samples into RAM and used them from there. This had two important characteristics: There was a hard limit on sample time based on the RAM size. Second, you had to wait for the entire sample set to load before you could play it.

Modern computer samplers, including blackbox and bitbox, are fast enough to load the RAM on the fly so you can play much longer samples. In our tests, blackbox can play up to 7 files of unlimited length at the same time. You can create presets with 16 very long samples, there will just be some limits to how many can play at once.
mokomo
Is there any restriction to how much you can record/sample into the blackbox, as distinct from playing loaded files?
elektrokick
I really like this and definitely see the appeal as it is now. It would be fantastic if, in the future, the outputs could be configured to send cv/gate data from the sequencer. I definitely wouldn't mind more effects either (bitcrushing/reduction, distortion, compressor with editable parameters etc). Some internal modulation options would be appreciated as well.

In its current state, it possible to pass two incoming mono signals through the inputs and add them to the mix with separate effect sends?
1010music
mokomo wrote:
Is there any restriction to how much you can record/sample into the blackbox, as distinct from playing loaded files?

The recording can be many hours in length. The only real limit is the 4GB size constraint on the WAV format
1010music
elektrokick wrote:
I really like this and definitely see the appeal as it is now. It would be fantastic if, in the future, the outputs could be configured to send cv/gate data from the sequencer. I definitely wouldn't mind more effects either (bitcrushing/reduction, distortion, compressor with editable parameters etc). Some internal modulation options would be appreciated as well.

In its current state, it possible to pass two incoming mono signals through the inputs and add them to the mix with separate effect sends?

There is always room for improvement. In its current state, blackbox can monitor the input but not add effects. Thanks for the suggestions.
OnTheRocks
Will the Blackbox export to an Ableton Set like the Bitbox does?
Paranormal Patroler
Bump. This was, for me, one of the highlights of SB19. I'm not usually one to get interested in samplers, but this one definitely takes the cake. Really want to try one out in person.
VanEck
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
Bump. This was, for me, one of the highlights of SB19. I'm not usually one to get interested in samplers, but this one definitely takes the cake. Really want to try one out in person.

same. i held off on the pre-release units, patiently waiting for the production units to be available. fingers crossed that will be soon... keeping a spot open on my desk just for one of these... maybe two.
DruidTek
New review and workflow tutorial by Loopop on YouTube.

anselmi
I really dig this thing

I just NEED more modulation sources and resonance for the filter...maybe 1 simple AD envelope for the filter and 1 assignable LFO? seriously, i just don't get it
SOPiiAC
Wow, inputs and outputs are DC coupled?! Sampling and sequencing cv modulation in?!
ugokcen
This is an impressive piece of kit applause Too bad I don’t need it sad banana

Considering 1010music’s philosophy of building different “boxes” on the same platform, may I suggest another product idea? How about a multi-timbral polyphonic sampler/synthesizer like the old Emulators and the Akais? It looks like this thing can already do 16 channels of midi and has 64 notes of polyphony and can read direct from disk so that shouldn’t be a problem hardware-wise. All it needs is new firmware for zones, layers, and dynamic voice allocation. And more modulation options preferably.

Anyway, just wanted to throw the idea out there, this is not a criticism of any kind. Blackbox beats Digitakt on every front in my opinion, but not everybody needs an integrated midi sequencer and sampler. I’ve been wanting to get away from the computer for a while and modular has been a big part of that project, but despite all the advances in microprocessors there’s still no hardware product out there that can replace the Sampler in Ableton or the ESX24 in Logic.
tenembre
Looks great. From looking at the manual and watching the Loopop video, I have a few suggestions:

- a zero crossing detector for loop points (move cursor to nearest zero point) to help prevent clicks. Crossfade looping, for the same reason.

- Normalization options for samples - being able to normalize a new sample is kind of a must.

- An option to reduce max signal out level to +4 or -10 standards.

- MTS (midi tuning standard) file support, with tunings stored on the card and applied on a per-pad basis. Without this the polyphonic feature is useless for those of us who use non-standard tunings. There aren't any modern hardware samplers that support alternate tunings!
tenembre
A question - what devices can be used via the host port?

- A usb keyboard, for naming stuff?

- A thumb drive or card reader for transferring samples?
roger
It seems to have all the features I want from a sampler, but I just cant find fun in touch interfaces. Put this box into a mpc 2000xl case with lots of buttons and not so many blinky lights and I'm in. I'd love to have som more tactile interface options.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 2 of 5