MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

1010music Blackbox - Compact Sampling Studio
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author 1010music Blackbox - Compact Sampling Studio
tenembre
roger wrote:
It seems to have all the features I want from a sampler, but I just cant find fun in touch interfaces. Put this box into a mpc 2000xl case with lots of buttons and not so many blinky lights and I'm in. I'd love to have som more tactile interface options.

I have no desire whatsoever for it to be any larger, let alone the size of an MPC.

With more CC mappings in the OS, it will be easy enough to drive it from something more tactile. It's got a USB host port for controllers to plug right into it.
roger
tenembre wrote:
I have no desire whatsoever for it to be any larger, let alone the size of an MPC.

With more CC mappings in the OS, it will be easy enough to drive it from something more tactile. It's got a USB host port for controllers to plug right into it.

I realize I'm a minority here, but using multiple controller and such clutters my workspace way too much for me to be comfortable. also, all these blinking lights are just not up my alley. This is fun!
I like clicky buttons, large sized machines and enough space to comfortably rest my hands on them.
DruidTek
The more I use this device, the more I'm digging it!

Being able to program 16 separate sequences into each of the sequencer cells (which actually gives you 256) and by creating custom .wav files for the Slicer with 64 one-shots in them, the possibilities are endless!

The official release is early next week, but here's a sneak peak at the demo video I made for it, using it on the public transport here in Melbourne, and back at my studio with some electronic drum triggers and a friend of mine on guitar synth.

Also, here's a brief run-through of the preset I used in the demo.

SOPiiAC
Thanks for posting those! I'm so hyped for this! screaming goo yo
jabberwalky
Really robust little box. I would definitely need to use a 16 pad controller for better live use. I think it's a bit lacking in the midi dept though, which is what I'm more interested in. Seems to lack a midi program change if I'm not missing something.
acidbob
Very very cool, and nice to see that it's not restricted to eurorack.
I know that an ordinary midi din socket takes up precious space but I would have really loved to see this, it might sound silly but this is what I somehow got into my mind what separates pro studio equipment. I like the fact that its stereo unlike many of the Elektron machines, so it would pair quite well with something like that. No brainer really
DruidTek
jabberwalky wrote:
Really robust little box. I would definitely need to use a 16 pad controller for better live use. I think it's a bit lacking in the midi dept though, which is what I'm more interested in. Seems to lack a midi program change if I'm not missing something.

It's definitely much nicer using it with dedicated controllers, although the screen is quite responsive and very handy when you are just using it by itself.
I can confirm the presets can be switched via MIDI program change.
landmax
Unless I have missed it in the feature set, i can't see that the sequencer has any swing/shuffle/groove function. If so this seems quite a glaring omission given virtually every sequencer on the market has one.
DruidTek
landmax wrote:
Unless I have missed it in the feature set, i can't see that the sequencer has any swing/shuffle/groove function. If so this seems quite a glaring omission given virtually every sequencer on the market has one.

Yes, it has a Swing function! It's the % at the top of the Song page. 50% is straight time. You can adjust it with the top right encoder.

landmax
DruidTek wrote:
landmax wrote:

Yes, it has a Swing function! It's the % at the top of the Song page. 50% is straight time. You can adjust it with the top right encoder.

Ah I missed that, great thanks. Thought it was strange to not have it.

Was definitely something that would have put me off so ready to jump on one now.
bmot
I love how, with every feature request or “does it have...x” question, the answer always seems to be “yes, it’s got that already!”. Looking like a really great machine. I just haven’t gelled with my Korg Electribe 2 sampler (despite really enjoying the ESX for several years). So this ones on my radar for sure. Thanks for the demos and information
anselmi
bmot wrote:
I just haven’t gelled with my Korg Electribe 2 sampler (despite really enjoying the ESX for several years)

so sad they didn´t made the new electribes worth of the esx love
SOPiiAC
Got one on the way! It's peanut butter jelly time!
Panason
The sequencing looks extremely simplistic and the screen too small. I'd think about an offline iPad + MIDI controller instead.
DruidTek
Panason wrote:
The sequencing looks extremely simplistic

There's no doubt that an iPad has a much bigger screen and is therefore easier to edit, but each of blackbox's sequencer cells can hold 16 x 128 step sequences, so there's actually 256 sequences in the box! You can zoom in with touch gestures and use the encoders to select a note and change the its pitch and length. You can also go up 1/64th resolution to program beat displacement if you require, so I wouldn't say it's extremely simplistic. Some randomisation and euclidean modes would be welcome additions to the firmware though.
evilspock
Panason wrote:
The sequencing looks extremely simplistic and the screen too small. I'd think about an offline iPad + MIDI controller instead.

Look, I love my iPad mini 2 to death, but the fact of the matter is, it doesn't have a built-in SD card slot, knobs and buttons, MIDI in and out jacks, analog clock in and out jacks, multiple audio in and out jacks. If you're okay with another hardware device dangling off of your iPad with those features via a USB cable, via a kludge USB camera adapter dongle, great!

For me, this is the most exciting piece of gear I've seen in quite a while and a no-brainer. A 5"x5" widget that can be the heart of my hardware studio, and I can throw it in my backpack when I'm on the go. Sold
pustule
I just learned about this device, and it sounds very exciting. I'm hoping I can finally ditch my SP404, which has been annoying me more and more as time goes on...

I couldn't find answers to a few questions, maybe someone here can help me out..

1) Many of my samples are longer (around 20 min each) will this unit have trouble looping 16 stereo samples that are each around 20 min in length simultaneously?

2) Will it import both wav and aiff audio?

3) When importing samples, what if some samples are 16bit and others 24bit? Does it care?

4) Are their plans to add a feature to try and minimize or remove clicks in loops?

5) Is there a way to manually fade or automate fade in/fade out of longer samples during playback?

6) Can you automate panning of a mono sample?

Really excited that this unit handles stereo loops and different loop lengths simultaneously!
1040df
I don't have mine in hand yet (in the mail). However I believe I can answer your questions.

1. I believe it is by sample size. The limit being 4gb max
2. no just .wav
3. It doesn't care
4. I read they added it to future updates. When exactly, I wouldn't know.
5. there is a ADSR. However I believe it is fairly basic
6. I believe you can
pustule
1040df wrote:
I don't have mine in hand yet (in the mail). However I believe I can answer your questions.

1. I believe it is by sample size. The limit being 4gb max

5. there is a ADSR. However I believe it is fairly basic

Thanks for the reply! Very exciting if all that works as expected. This is making me really want to grab one screaming goo yo

I know you don't have it in hand yet, so maybe you don't have an answer, but I have a few more questions based on your answers above:

have you heard if playing all 16 stereo loops (long ones, 20 min+) will make the unit stutter or react slower, as apposed to playing 16 short mono loops which I assume would be easier for its processor to handle?

Regarding the fading of loops -- Thats great that it has an ADSR. I wonder if it'll achieve exactly what i'm hoping for though... If I were to play some long samples, i'm hoping for the ability to keep them playing and fade various samples in and out of the mix without needing to restart the samples from the beginning, like using some sort of virtual fader on a mixer. It'd be extra cool if you could then automate these fades throughout the duration of the sample.

I'm not that crazy about touch screen devices, so i'm trying to figure out how much of the workflow might be able to be controlled by some sort of midi device with physical faders/pads.

One last question, can the brightness of the touch screen display be adjusted so it's not ultra bright during a gig?
DruidTek
I think the audio engine can only handle streaming about 4-6 very long samples at once, but you can trigger one-shots in the other 12 cells at the same time.
The MIX page has muting and is perfect for doing crossfades and panning, etc. Brightness control is on the TOOLS page
pustule
DruidTek wrote:
I think the audio engine can only handle streaming about 4-6 very long samples at once, but you can trigger one-shots in the other 12 cells at the same time.

Thanks for the info!
What happens to the unit when you play too many long loops at the same time? Does it lock up and cause audio dropouts?
anselmi
DruidTek wrote:
The MIX page has muting and is perfect for doing crossfades and panning, etc

are the MIX page parameters MIDI controllable?
DruidTek
pustule wrote:

Thanks for the info!
What happens to the unit when you play too many long loops at the same time? Does it lock up and cause audio dropouts?

Clicking and popping mostly.

anselmi wrote:
are the MIX page parameters MIDI controllable?

Yes, the Volume and Pan of the cells can be modulated via MIDI on their respective channels.
pustule
DruidTek wrote:
pustule wrote:

Thanks for the info!

Clicking and popping mostly.

Hmm... clicking kind of worries me as i'd intend to use it live at gigs...

I know they don't want to limit people from doing things, but for those who want to be sure not to have clicking and popping in the mix, it'd be nice to have a feature to toggle on a "safe mode" that ensures that it won't let you play a sample that'll overwork the processor and make it click.

Another question... I don't know much about working with midi, but would a device like the 16n Midi controller be suitable to control the volume of all 16 samples?

Do you need to be on the "mix" screen of the Blackbox in order to control the volume with midi, or will volume control work from any screen if the MIDI controller is mapped to cell/pad volume?

Is it possible to have a pad start playing when tapped at zero volume until you manually fade the volume up in the mix?

Sorry for all the questions!
h4ndcrafted
I’m considering dropping on this ,needs to have filter EG though , I really miss that on my sp16.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 3 of 5