MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

1010music Blackbox - Compact Sampling Studio
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author 1010music Blackbox - Compact Sampling Studio
Shakespeare
So has anyone had this show up in their studio yet? Would love to hear more first-hand impressions.
blipson
Shakespeare wrote:
So has anyone had this show up in their studio yet? Would love to hear more first-hand impressions.

My quick impression is that I like the tactile quality of it, which you might not expect, given the touchscreen. But the mix of touchscreen, buttons, and knobs does have a nice feel when you hold this very portable device in your hands to operate it solo.
High V3locity
So I have a question. From my understanding it has 16 separate sequencers. Dose this mean I could use this to sequence up to 16 different midi devices with the midi out?
SOPiiAC
High V3locity wrote:
So I have a question. From my understanding it has 16 separate sequencers. Dose this mean I could use this to sequence up to 16 different midi devices with the midi out?

Indeed. I'd not recommend chaining 16 devices all in a row but this would work beautifully with some kind of midi router. The other thing to keep in mind is there is no sequencing of anything other than notes at this time.
High V3locity
SOPiiAC wrote:
High V3locity wrote:

Indeed. I'd not recommend chaining 16 devices all in a row but this would work beautifully with some kind of midi router. The other thing to keep in mind is there is no sequencing of anything other than notes at this time.

So I can plug the black box into something like a midi to CV module and use it to sequence my gate, 1v/Oct and velocity correct?
SOPiiAC
Just notes and gates right now with a midi to cv module. Although you could use a separate track to sequence the velocity, I suppose.

One thing to keep in mind if you're interfacing with modular. The i/o is DC coupled so you can record modulation from your modular and then playback and sequence the modulation on the 6 different mono outs and send it back into your modules. thumbs up
landmax
When programming one shot drums in the sequencer, are they all at the same velocity? If so is there a way of adjusting velocities on the different hits/notes?
vegeta897
Note velocity can be recorded live to a sequence, but it can't be edited after the fact or set when programming in steps. According to 1010, they want to address this.
DruidTek
landmax wrote:
When programming one shot drums in the sequencer, are they all at the same velocity? If so is there a way of adjusting velocities on the different hits/notes?

Adjust the velocity fader on the right side of the main screen.
RichMakeGame
once you have a sample recorded, can you add to it? overdub/overwrite or record more on the end?
Spectromat
New beta firmware 1.1 available on the 1010Music forum:

We are pleased to make available our first feature update to blackbox. Version 1.1 includes the following:

Destructive editing. You can now trim a sample using the start and length controls in sample mode
WAV file saving. You can embed loops, root note, beat count, and slice markers into WAV files for future use
Control of the root note of a sample for matching the internal keyboard and MIDI
Control of the beat count of a clip for those recordings with odd beat counts and far tempo jumps
MIDI thru. You can now play external MIDI from the touch screen. Inbound MIDI will also route to the active SEQ and its MIDI channel.
Clips will now hold until you press the Play button. This allows you to stage several at once and unleash them in time.
Improved capture of SEQ changes when recording song sections.
Version 1.1 includes the following bug fixes:
There was digital bleed through from the Out 3 signal to the headphones and vice versa.

Just ordered one of these.. looking forward to having a play hyper
Paranormal Patroler
Great news!
versipellis
SOPiiAC wrote:
One thing to keep in mind if you're interfacing with modular. The i/o is DC coupled so you can record modulation from your modular and then playback and sequence the modulation on the 6 different mono outs and send it back into your modules. thumbs up

The manual isn't super clear on this, but can you record and save your CV modulations?
Spectromat
versipellis wrote:
can you record and save your CV modulations?

@14.55 there is talk of CV recording.
versipellis
Spectromat wrote:
versipellis wrote:
can you record and save your CV modulations?

@14.55 there is talk of CV recording.

Yes, I've seen that, but it doesn't say anything about saving the CV recordings.
vegeta897
versipellis wrote:
Yes, I've seen that, but it doesn't say anything about saving the CV recordings.

The machine does not differentiate or even "know" the difference between a CV recording and an audio recording, so yes, it saves WAVs of them the same way it saves audio samples.
Funky40
how is the audio recording working,
is it the same as in the bitbox ?
same kind of menüs and quantisation setup ?
( i have now a bitbox )

the bitbox seems to have destructive sample editing, is this right ?
can this be apllyed after the recording without a need to change pages or a mode or so.
(means: record / there you have your just recorded sample / just edit and cut from there.......or at least not more than one button push )
Miguel606
does anyone know if you can you plug the usb into laptop and backup projects or swap wav files back and forth?
anselmi
I´d want to know more about live looping

Is it possible to loop an incoming audio on the fly and then (automatically) the loop replace the source without glitches?

I mean: I´d want to sample and loop my Digitakt and let the loop run immediatly, muting the audio source without superposition of both, so I could change the pattern and then mix it back to make flawless transitions
DruidTek
anselmi wrote:
I´d want to know more about live looping

Is it possible to loop an incoming audio on the fly and then (automatically) the loop replace the source without glitches?

I mean: I´d want to sample and loop my Digitakt and let the loop run immediatly, muting the audio source without superposition of both, so I could change the pattern and then mix it back to make flawless transitions

Yes, of course! It just takes a while to learn the different quantise and recording settings, then practice the timing until you can do it.
Spectromat
Miguel606 wrote:
does anyone know if you can you plug the usb into laptop and backup projects or swap wav files back and forth?

I believe file transfer is by the removable microSD card only currently.
appliancide
Happy to report that the blackbox is great for child-friendly industrial/noise performances.

Paranormal Patroler
New beta firmware seems to allow resampling. Finally!
I haven't tested it yet but I'm looking forward to it.
anselmi
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
New beta firmware seems to allow resampling. Finally!
I haven't tested it yet but I'm looking forward to it.

still no resonant filter?

any kind of modulator?
Paranormal Patroler
No resonant filter that I know of, although to be honest I'd be far more interested in a decent parametric EQ and a full fledged compressor. Devices like these need EQ, Compression, Level, Panning, and Reverb. The rest I can outsource. But that's just what I'd expect.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 4 of 5