MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

analogue solutions impulse command
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author analogue solutions impulse command
miles_macquarrie
Stereo analog synth with digital effects. Looks pretty cool and sounds quite good imo

RickKleffel
This looks quite interesting. These guys make great sounding gear, and this looks like it will fit far more easily into my admittedly bizarre setup... And it also looks small, yay!

Say, $1200...Well, it does look like a lot pf fun, pretty nice feature set. MIDI, but no USB (Of course, I guess), so long as MIDI tempo sync does not need that weird workaround for the Fusebox... that thing was a blast to play, but did not work for my needs vis a vis sync.
acidbob
Finally a new proper desktop synth from ASOL ! Cant wait to hear more
calaveras
intrigued
James_Fredrickson
Here is a jam featuring the Impulse Command. I took the cv out from the built-in sequencer and ran it though a quantizer in the Disting, allowing me to "play" melodic lines as I'm jamming. The sequencer cv is also being internally routed to a couple other destinations. With so many knobs and semi-modular routing capabilities, it's a super fun synth to get completely lost in.

https://youtu.be/wpvyEyzdORg
weinglas
This is an instant 80s Synthpop or 90s Techno machine! Not really usable for sound design, because the synth functions are a bit reduced.

BUT: It is a great analog groovebox and it is a lot of fun!

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5701U_3QIY
Sounds From The Shed
weinglas wrote:
This is an instant 80s Synthpop or 90s Techno machine! Not really usable for sound design, because the synth functions are a bit reduced.

I beg to differ. It just takes a bit more care and thought and time to tame the IC. Also you need to understand that it runs from 2 sequencers. One that does the fx etc and the second(top sequencer) that you are best controlling via cv and gate and using additional cv modulation.

I think a lot of this it's a wild beast, can't do this, can't do that comes from the Sonic State nonsense where they took no time to learn it then it gets repeated ie it takes one handclap to start an applause. For example the Sequencer Recorder control (which was originally nicknamed merlins magical knob) is not random, it has preset musical patterns that can be applied to the lower sequencer, where as Gaz Williams said it was some random, anything could happen knob. There were numerous statements made in that video that where nonsense and factually incorrect!

It can perform multiple roles at once, do bass sounds , lead sounds along with percussive sounds from the lower sequencer.

It can be used as a bass synth, lead synth , percussive synth, whatever you want. Just because theres a knob doesn't mean you have to use it. Think about what you want to do and then make it happen, don't just randomly twist knobs.

Hope that didn't sound rude but I was involved with the IC from the start, had a bit of input(which was mostly ignored lol) but I got to try it out before it's release and was able to do a load of different synth sounds from basic to crazy.

SO I'm not having it lol, this whole hard to tame thing is bull!

I could link to videos showing this but then I'd have a load of people jumping in and accusing me of self promotion. But I maintain the IC can perform numerous roles from crazy to basic synthesis!

I'm not sure if it will work out or not, finances depending etc, but I plan to grab a couple of IC's and a couple of Generator sequencers and will dispell these myths!
RickKleffel
I'd be all over this if it used standard MIDI sync, or if that was at least an option.

Alas, this is not the case. In order to sync this via MIDI, you have to send it a series of C0 notes. As an OPTION, that would be swell, since you can change up things from a steady 1/8, 1/16, etc.

But if you just want a steady Eddy sync, you have to create a track somewhere that does this. I exclusively use hardware sequencers, and don't want to have to cart around a computer to live gigs just to get sync, or even just to waste time adding a track to sync to. It's a roadblock in the workflow.

I LOVE Analogue Solutions designs and their sound. They manage to craft playable arrays of knobs and switches. I'd love to buy this box or any other with actual MIDI don't-need-to-think-about-it sync. Allow me to note as well, that I now and again run multiple boxes without sync, because(when) it lends some interest to the proceedings. I am not an Angels-on-a-Pinhead Synchead. Easy MIDI sync has thus far been quite reliable and, well, easy.

But for me in a similar ballpark, there's the Maander.

And no space for anything, anyway. I need a TardiStudio.
weinglas
RickKleffel wrote:
I'd be all over this if it used standard MIDI sync, or if that was at least an option.

Alas, this is not the case. In order to sync this via MIDI, you have to send it a series of C0 notes. As an OPTION, that would be swell, since you can change up things from a steady 1/8, 1/16, etc.

But if you just want a steady Eddy sync, you have to create a track somewhere that does this. I exclusively use hardware sequencers, and don't want to have to cart around a computer to live gigs just to get sync, or even just to waste time adding a track to sync to. It's a roadblock in the workflow.

I LOVE Analogue Solutions designs and their sound. They manage to craft playable arrays of knobs and switches. I'd love to buy this box or any other with actual MIDI don't-need-to-think-about-it sync. Allow me to note as well, that I now and again run multiple boxes without sync, because(when) it lends some interest to the proceedings. I am not an Angels-on-a-Pinhead Synchead. Easy MIDI sync has thus far been quite reliable and, well, easy.

But for me in a similar ballpark, there's the Maander.

And no space for anything, anyway. I need a TardiStudio.

While the impulse command unfortunately does not have Midi Out, slave to Midi Sync should be possible (cf. manual page 23 and 27).

The Mäander on the other hand is a different beast. 4 Voice polyphony, wavetables and a sequenced fixed filter bank will give you lots of options for percussive tracks or drones. But what I have heard so far from the demos, iit sounds completely different from the impulse command. Both for the tardis?
Sounds From The Shed
I've just bought 2 Impulse commands, they should be here next week, I'll throw together a demo of some sort of them being sequenced in various ways. ie CV & Gate from the Squarp Pyramid and Toraiz as well as midi sequencing.

The Midi 00 is actually a really useful way to sequence as you can put together crazy gate pattern changes with the flexibility and transpose with ease, send start, stop and reset commands etc.

It's something you need to try to get your head around but it is really straight forward to do. thumbs up

I've rebuilt my Analogue Solutions arsenal and added a couple of Black Fuseboxes and 2 Generator sequencers also so I should be able to come up with a few nice all CV and Gate demos all done live as usual. hihi
weinglas
Sounds From The Shed wrote:
weinglas wrote:

I beg to differ. It just takes a bit more care and thought and time to tame the IC. Also you need to understand that it runs from 2 sequencers. One that does the fx etc and the second(top sequencer) that you are best controlling via cv and gate and using additional cv modulation.

I think a lot of this it's a wild beast, can't do this, can't do that comes from the Sonic State nonsense where they took no time to learn it then it gets repeated ie it takes one handclap to start an applause. For example the Sequencer Recorder control (which was originally nicknamed merlins magical knob) is not random, it has preset musical patterns that can be applied to the lower sequencer, where as Gaz Williams said it was some random, anything could happen knob. There were numerous statements made in that video that where nonsense and factually incorrect!

It can perform multiple roles at once, do bass sounds , lead sounds along with percussive sounds from the lower sequencer.

It can be used as a bass synth, lead synth , percussive synth, whatever you want. Just because theres a knob doesn't mean you have to use it. Think about what you want to do and then make it happen, don't just randomly twist knobs.

Hope that didn't sound rude but I was involved with the IC from the start, had a bit of input(which was mostly ignored lol) but I got to try it out before it's release and was able to do a load of different synth sounds from basic to crazy.

SO I'm not having it lol, this whole hard to tame thing is bull!

I could link to videos showing this but then I'd have a load of people jumping in and accusing me of self promotion. But I maintain the IC can perform numerous roles from crazy to basic synthesis!

I'm not sure if it will work out or not, finances depending etc, but I plan to grab a couple of IC's and a couple of Generator sequencers and will dispell these myths!

You are right: The Impulse Command can be tamed and of coarse it can be used as a great sounding Leadsynth or Bass-Synth.

BUT: For Sound Design or Drones this is the wrong machine. E.g. the second VCO only has a squarewave, there is no Drone mode on the VCAs and the modulation possibilities aside from the sequencer are a bit limited.

It is a great synth, but it is not the one monosynth to rule them all twisted
Sounds From The Shed
Quote:
It is a great synth, but it is not the one monosynth to rule them all twisted

That would be the Mono Station my favourite mono, small and mighty thumbs up
Sounds From The Shed
The Courier should be coming later today with my 2 Impulse Commands so I'll get them setup and maybe have a video to upload by Friday or Saturday to debunk the myth you can't use them as standard mono synth as well as for the crazy stuff! hihi thumbs up
Sounds From The Shed

All set to go!!!!
Sounds From The Shed
Not sure of how much interest this will be as its a fairly sedate thread.

I've hooked up all the synths, master clock is the mono station as it's a reliable little clock. I have the DJS as percussion(midi mono station) and the rest are cv clock from the mono station.

I've spent most of the day just playing about and tweaking. I think one thing to note is you have to be more subtle with the IC not ham fisted. But if you take one control at a time, are patient, you will learn what it can do and get the best out of it. Not that I'm trying to teach anyone to suck eggs, thats just my experience of it.

I've a few really nice sequences playing on it.

I'll try and do a video soon thumbs up
Sounds From The Shed

Managed a video, though I was a bit worse for wear while doing it Guinness ftw!
Sounds From The Shed

Got a proper video done, no alcohol this time smile Shows how I've integrated the IC's into my setup.
RickKleffel
weinglas wrote:
RickKleffel wrote:

While the impulse command unfortunately does not have Midi Out, slave to Midi Sync should be possible (cf. manual page 23 and 27).

The Mäander on the other hand is a different beast. 4 Voice polyphony, wavetables and a sequenced fixed filter bank will give you lots of options for percussive tracks or drones. But what I have heard so far from the demos, iit sounds completely different from the impulse command. Both for the tardis?

For my particular Tardis, yes! I stand corrected, had to look at the message a few times before the page numbers in the manual made it to my tiny brain. Looked at the manual online, and yay! you can use it in dumb MIDI clock sync mode.

Now this damn thing's back on my radar and on my want/wait list. I love Analogue Solutions/Tom's synth designs. They are super playable. Turns out that a friend of my Dream Journal host is a carpenter, so may have him over sometime to look at getting some shelves built to make room, make room. As far as that goes, both Impulse Command and Maander would make suitable additions to to the live/improv/soundtrack mini-rig I use for adding music to The Dream Journal. The trick is to use such beasts sparingly.
Sounds From The Shed
RickKleffel wrote:
weinglas wrote:
RickKleffel wrote:

For my particular Tardis, yes! I stand corrected, had to look at the message a few times before the page numbers in the manual made it to my tiny brain. Looked at the manual online, and yay! you can use it in dumb MIDI clock sync mode.

Now this damn thing's back on my radar and on my want/wait list. I love Analogue Solutions/Tom's synth designs. They are super playable. Turns out that a friend of my Dream Journal host is a carpenter, so may have him over sometime to look at getting some shelves built to make room, make room. As far as that goes, both Impulse Command and Maander would make suitable additions to to the live/improv/soundtrack mini-rig I use for adding music to The Dream Journal. The trick is to use such beasts sparingly.

You don’t need to use it sparingly as it does not dominate the overall sound. That’s just nonsensical and spouted by people who haven’t used it or don’t know how to. Apologies if that came across as rude.
Sounds From The Shed

Couldn't get back to sleep after my Bulldog Alfie got me up in the middle of the night as he wanted to go out for a pee and then have a glass of water(he prefers his water from a glass hihi )

So I stayed up and made this.

2 Impulse Commands and a mono station. smile

Shows how the IC's can play nice and not dominate things but let rip when you want them too smile (Myth Busters!)
Sounds From The Shed

Used 2 Impulse Commands in this one along with a Fusebox and Mono Station.
Flexyflier
Going to take a punt on the impulse command,....Telemark ......is my fave from AS at the moment.
Sounds From The Shed
Flexyflier wrote:
Going to take a punt on the impulse command,....Telemark ......is my fave from AS at the moment.

You'll really enjoy the Impulse command, ignore all the silly videos that say it's some kind of crazy synth that's hard to control and can't do basic mono synth duties.

That's just dicks twiddling knobs as fast as a kid opening presents on xmas day, it's going to be chaos!

It has a really intuitive and simple workflow, but also has a ton of options to mix things up. Most people tend to twist every knob at once and wonder what's going on!

Just remember the bottom sequencer is primarily for fx and modulation, the top step sequencer is for the musical stuff. And the sequencer recorder knob introduces preprogrammed patterns, not random!, preprogrammed.

So get your midi keyboard, play in 16 notes, hit run, a sequence plays, turn the sequencer recorder knob, it reorders the notes you played in a melodic way.

Turn the patch knob, it effects the bottom sequencer, it will introduce different sounds, so you will have your initial 16 notes reorderd by the sequencer recorder knob, plus kick or hat sounds etc introduced by the patch knob.

You can change the levels and position of those new sounds by adjusting the cv amounts on the bottom sequencer knobs plus the knobs to the right of the bottom sequencer. So you could turn up the cv on knobs 1,5,9 etc to get a kick pattern to accompany your initial notes played in.

Then add FX, which is synced to the speed of the clock source.

So you have an initial sequence mixed up and reordered, additional modulation percussion plus stereo delay reverb etc.!

I hope that makes sense, I had an open line of comms with Tom during the conception of the impulse command and was asked to give various feedback, to be honest most of the stuff passed over my head as Tom has these amazing ideas that take a while for someone not as bright as him to grasp.

But I just find the initial reviews, demos and impressions frustrating as they do not reflect what can be done with the IC or what it's about.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1