MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Feeling outdone by natural sounds
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Feeling outdone by natural sounds
Robert McLeod
When I listened to these (ADVISORY: pace is a little leisurely) I felt that, by comparison, nature might have done a better job of producing interesting audio than me - humbling.

Fog Door
Amazing sounds but we shouldn't be too hard on ourselves. We've only been synthesising sound for a ridiculously short amount of time, Mother Nature has had billions of years to develop her sonic palette wink
cptnal
I'm listening to it for ideas. Reckon Messiaen must have been on to something. thumbs up

Edit: Surely you can manage the emu (2:50, second video). Sounds just like a low pass gate.
terrymccann
Combine both!
evileye0702
Sounds like an interesting modular challenge to try and duplicate all or some of these.
Demi Jon
Try being a painter, mate. For instance, I can't count the number of times I've looked at bizarre cloud patterns and thought "if I painted that, people would think it looked weird and unnatural".
authorless
It gets a whole lot worse, lol.

cretaceousear
Gorgeous sounds - makes me want to live in the woods or at the edge of the jungle.
orangehexagon
Nature will always be better than us at everything so I'd say learn to accept it and divorce yourself of as much ego as possible :-)
electricanada
Excellent sounds, my esteemed colleagues! Please keep them coming--I want more!
electricanada
authorless wrote:
It gets a whole lot worse, lol.

23:20 -- OMG!

25:56, this is killer stuff.
Parnelli
cretaceousear wrote:
Gorgeous sounds - makes me want to live in the woods or at the edge of the jungle.

I do live in the woods on the edge of a wilderness area, and I have often thought of incorporating the sounds of nature into some of my work! I have done some wildlife sounds pretty well, but I thought it would be much more interesting to get some samples of say a coyote pack howling or turkeys or whatever and put them into a loop sampler for playback in a piece.

All I have to do is get up in the middle of the night with my H4n and get out and do some recording!

Still the challenge of actually synthesizing such sounds is quite alluring!
batch
Now I know why I have a bunch of horny seals hanging out round my house when I do a west coast patch.
diophantine
cptnal wrote:
Surely you can manage the emu (2:50, second video). Sounds just like a low pass gate.

Disappointing you can't do that with just an E-mu....
zeta
batch wrote:
Now I know why I have a bunch of horny seals hanging out round my house when I do a west coast patch.
hihi
zeta
batch wrote:
hihi
zeta
batch wrote:
hihi
TimeRaveler
Whoa those are crazy! I'd totally be up for a modular bird challenge.

Here are some robins in a cave I did a while a go...
Funch
There are some nature sounds that can be down right annoying. Used to live in an area where there were "buzzy bugs" . I would much rather listen to spacey synth music then those bugs flapping there wings.

The sound of waves are very pleasant to behold but I could not live on a beach were that is all I heard, same with rivers and creeks.

Human choir voices singing in harmony is our nature sound and a wonder to behold. But even that in moderation.

Fortunately we get to experience a variety of different sounds, including moog mother 32 thunder.
Fog Door
Quote:
Here are some robins in a cave

Trapping some robins in a cave just so that you can record them is downright cruel wink
MindMachine
Feeling inspired by natural sounds. Feeling challenged by natural sounds.

It's hard to beat nature or even machinery or urban sounds, whatever.

I've set tape recorders to catch a crazy mocking bird that stayed up all night on my roof. As far as I know they are mainly daytime creatures. Well this crazy bastard was up all night for weeks about 12-14 feet outside my window. I taped him on microcasette while I slept. He did bird calls and the full seven standard car alarm sounds that cheap alarms would run through if the owner did not lock one in. This was in 1996.

I recorded a steam pipe next to a shopping area at midnight once on a cassette loop. Speed it up. Slow it down.

Rain patterns. Stick a mic out at after midnight. Hear the occasional motorcycle racer... a train... a police car.

Crickets and frogs all night long.

You can't better it. You can incorporate it or emulate it.

I use animal cd effects cd's still along with industrial cd effects with my field recordings and electronics. Use whatever works. There is no better. But yeah nature is best.
xenosapien
You guys seen/heard this one yet?

CDM: "This radio station broadcasts sounds of rats – and it sounds amazing"
http://cdm.link/2019/04/rat-radio-sound-rats/

someone pitch-shifted the sounds rats make (apparently, one particular rat colony in NYC) into human hearing range... grin
electricanada
xenosapien wrote:
You guys seen/heard this one yet?

CDM: "This radio station broadcasts sounds of rats – and it sounds amazing"
http://cdm.link/2019/04/rat-radio-sound-rats/

someone pitch-shifted the sounds rats make (apparently, one particular rat colony in NYC) into human hearing range... grin

Pretty nice, thanks!
hifienvelope
Consider this: you are a part of nature.
dongiovanni88
great thread
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2