MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

looking for reverb pedal
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author looking for reverb pedal
misa
I hope this is a good place to ask for help on this.

I am looking for a reverb pedal with some specific features and some nice to have things:

- stereo
- light
- small footprint
- different algorithms, spring, room, plate, reverse, (don't need shimmer)
- should have controls similar to EHX cathedral (Mix, Time, Damping, Predelay but I don't need the feedback in the predelay
- freeze would be nice, but I guess that's pretty unique

the main thing is (otherwise the cathedral is perfect for me): I want to be ablt to switch the reverb off and have the verb trail off, not be cut out like on the cathedral.

I suppose the blackhole does all this, but it's too large and heavy.

I'd be very happy and grateful if you could recommend stuff!
Struggle
I’m really digging Specular Tempus. Has some nice delay algorithms on top of stellar verbs. Smallish and lightweight.
thetwlo
Empress Reverb
https://empresseffects.com/products/reverb
thetwlo
Struggle wrote:
I’m really digging Specular Tempus. Has some nice delay algorithms on top of stellar verbs. Smallish and lightweight.

who makes it?
ObsoleteModular
Strymon BIgSky? Or it's smaller cousin the BlueSky
Navs
If the Cathedral is otherwise perfect, can you not mute the send to the reverb? Or is it inline with your synth?

I ended up with a Digitech Polara and Logidy EPSi. Neither is perfect but I liked them more than the usual suspects that I also tried (Space, Skys, OTO, HOF).

The Polara is algo-based, with a Lexicon flavour. You don't get pre-delay but this isn't an issue for me as the reverbs sound OK. The real, stupid problem is that you can't get 100% wet, so you have to run it inline or pre-fader on your mixer. But it will do the tails as you want.

The Logidy is convolution and will also do the tails when bypassed. Drawback here is lack of tweakability, but if you know what you want, just load up the suitable IR. In reverb mode (as opposed to combo sim) it ignores one channel of the IR and re-synthesizes the stereo image. If you A/B with your original reverb source you may notice a difference, but for live it's OK.
motorhead412
maybe the TC Electronic Hall of Fame 2?
Rost + Licht
I can recommend the Empress Reverb.

It has the features you requested and can sound from 'normal' reverberation to unique and heavy modulated ones. There is a unique Ghost mode which can sound very Eerie. Great for Drones and Vocals. You also have a Lo-Fi mode where you can dial in more aliased Reverbs like from on Midiverb II.

With the useful range of Algos it is a great sound design tool.

Its quite pricey but I find that you dont need much else Reverbwise after getting this. The Sound can get from very clean 'studio' reverb to unique and erratic with fresh sound character.

Here you get a nice overview about the Algos. There also Videos on Youtube with Synths in it.

https://empresseffects.com/products/reverb

Only Downside with this is you eventually also want to get their Echosystem Delay..
bunkbeds
oto machines bam! i got one recently and adore it. i’m not a big fan of most contemporary reverbs; they sound too artificial or something. the bam sounds gorgeous and has character. it has all the features you are looking for, but no reverse algorithm unfortunately.
misa
holy crap, I was gone for a while and didn't see all your excellent replies. I really liked the sounds from the Empress. Thank you for all the great input, I think I found something to look into deeply..wink
hairbow
OTO Bam does everything you want and more, it sounds a notable step better than any other piece of gear listed (but that is reflected in the cost.)

New is $650 USD, can be found for cheaper. Its truly the best modern hardware reverb unit I have heard, and will be a future classic.
ramos808
hairbow wrote:
OTO Bam does everything you want and more, it sounds a notable step better than any other piece of gear listed (but that is reflected in the cost.)

New is $650 USD, can be found for cheaper. Its truly the best modern hardware reverb unit I have heard, and will be a future classic.

x3 for the Bam
BogartDestructo
Another shout here for the BAM...nothing short of phenomenal in my eyes (and ears)!
cranleigh
The BAM is great; so is the Ventris:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmrcVsSXEJA
Feinstrom
My new favourite reverb pedal is the Ambi Space by Free The Tone.
Especially the Serene mode is very huge-sounding.

Disclaimer: I mainly use all my reverbs for loooooong cavernous stuff, not for realistic rooms or stuff like that.

Cheers,
Bert
VM
ObsoleteModular wrote:
Strymon BIgSky? Or it's smaller cousin the BlueSky

The BigSky is incredible, and ticks all of OPs boxes except freeze. It never leaves my signal path.
misa
Thanks for all the replies. I can hardly keep up with all the Input. Im trying to listen to all of them to come to a qualified opinion..;-)

Plus I realize that for the price the cathedral is even more amazing than I already knew anyway, when you compare it to all those high end pedals.
Chopper
Zoom CDR...
JohnLRice
motorhead412 wrote:
maybe the TC Electronic Hall of Fame 2?
That's what I was going to suggest. thumbs up The most versatile and best sounding reverb pedal I've heard in it's size and price class. Actually I've only used the original Hall Of Fame and the T2 (Trinity v2) versions and I think they are great, I'm assuming the Hall Of Fame v2 is just as good if not better?

EDIT: Here's a video you might like to watch. His music style may or may not be what you are into but he offers a lot of good generalized advice on choosing a reverb pedal:
jimmie
Chopper wrote:
Zoom CDR...

The CDR is really great but it's so deep that it must take huge time investment to gain its full capabilities. I guess most people (well, me included) are not even scratching the surface of its potential, tweaking a few presets and let go, making it underrated along with its inexpensiveness. I really hope Zoom will make bigger one with more knobs for much more easy and quick operation, soft switches for desktop use, pretty color display (like Mellotron) which would impress each algo for memorization and a few LFOs for modulating params, possibly for CV ins!
mor4sso
Eventide Space is lit
rohelineoun
jimmie wrote:
Chopper wrote:
Zoom CDR...

The CDR is really great but it's so deep that it must take huge time investment to gain its full capabilities. I guess most people (well, me included) are not even scratching the surface of its potential, tweaking a few presets and let go, making it underrated along with its inexpensiveness. I really hope Zoom will make bigger one with more knobs for much more easy and quick operation, soft switches for desktop use, pretty color display (like Mellotron) which would impress each algo for memorization and a few LFOs for modulating params, possibly for CV ins!

There is a lot to learn about this pedal to tap its full potential; however, I would still recommend it heartily since I've found lots of uses for it right away while I was still just scratching the surface.

The HOF is a wonderful reverb for the same price, but the MS-70CDR lets you throw in any number of other effects in your chain to really bring the stereo-ness of your patch to life.
Blairio
rohelineoun wrote:
jimmie wrote:
Chopper wrote:
Zoom CDR...

There is a lot to learn about this pedal to tap its full potential; however, I would still recommend it heartily since I've found lots of uses for it right away while I was still just scratching the surface.

The HOF is a wonderful reverb for the same price, but the MS-70CDR lets you throw in any number of other effects in your chain to really bring the stereo-ness of your patch to life.

I spent a few hours getting to grips with each algorithm in the 70CDR, creating some basic fx chains, and then using a web midi based editor to reorganise the 70CDR's patch memories with a combination of single algorithms like shimmer, and my fx chains. Once I had the patches organised so that the reverb ones were together, likewise the delay and modulation fx, the pedal was a doddle to navigate and use.

One wish though: it would be great if there was a global parameter that set the mix of every patch to 100% wet, overriding (but not deleting) the individual patch's mix value. This would make life much easier when using the 70CDR in an fx loop situation, and not as an in line pedal.

Given that the 70CDR is firmware-based, that may be possible for Zoom to implement in a future version. Time to drop them a line.....
tdutz
Also check out the Neunaber Immerse. It's fidelity is on par with Strymon Big Sky (which I also have) but has a smaller footprint. Covers all of the 'bread and butter' reverbs wonderfully but lacks a lot of the weirder bells and whistles like reverse, chorale, swell, etc.
1040df
MXR M300
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1