MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Modular to line level sound quality / technical explanation?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Play Out! Performance Modulars  
Author Modular to line level sound quality / technical explanation?
JGabriel
Hi, I've been reading many threads on how folks get their euroracks to interface with DJ mixers etc. Either we attenuate the signal in a final mixer/vca stage or use something like the WMD Pro Output. But what I'm trying to understand, is there a technical difference in these approaches and any possible difference in sound quality? Haven't read a compelling reason to add a dedicated line level attenuator (the WMD isn't cheap either), when I'll have a CP3+ mixer as my final module and can just turn the volume down there. But I know from studio experience that matching correct levels, impedance etc can matter. I know this topic is well covered, but couldn't weigh the decision enough to decide on the right course of action. Thoughts? Thanks - Joseph
debbiebrooks1999
Hey joseph, my experience was similar, I have the befaco mixer with stereo out, i had missed the line out/level out switch on the back, which was set at modular level and went to do a gig, sound guy told my level was 40 decibels below the dj mixer standard
R.U.Nuts
I use a small Mackie mixing desk and go straight into it from my modular and then use the mixer's preamps to attenuate the signals. For going back from the mixer into the modular I use a preamp module. This also has the advantage that I can easily level match different sources like line level gear, mics and guitars and the modular. It's a little of a hassle to carry around your own mixing desk and not being able to go straight from the modular into the venue's mixer but it's well worth it. Especially since I can also make use of the many routing options like FX sends and subgroups.
Concerning sound quality there's a big difference between different mixing desks. It's actually not neccessarily about quality but more about the different sound characteristics of certain mixing desks. I'm fine with my Mackie. Had a Behringer mixer for a short while but got rid of it quickly because it sounded like crap IMHO.
fruitsnake
Meng Qi Please Exist passive transformers are my ace-in-the-hole for euro/line conversion. They're passive transformers, so they convert both ways. I got the kit version and built it into a freestanding DI box with extra I/O jack options. I don't go anywhere without it.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Play Out! Performance Modulars  
Page 1 of 1