MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Help me find a cheap midi patchbay
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Help me find a cheap midi patchbay
rkilman
I've got 5 midi controllers and 4 midi destinations (All 5-pin DIN) and I'd like a patchbay that would easily allow me to route any controller to any destination, plus would like to route midi to and from a computer. I can do that via usb or separate midi converter. Would like to be able to control routings from the patchbay and not have to use the computer to do it.

What would you recommend?
khyber
MOTU MIDI Express XT. Routings aren't as detailed as you might like but they can be reconfigured without using a computer
rkilman
Thanks! That looks like a great device, but from reading the manual, you can't actually reconfigure the routings without a computer, you only have access to 8 user presets. If this isn't the case, please let me know, because it looks like just what I need otherwise!
Dave Peck
Something like an Edirol (Roland) UM-550 or UM-880?
teleport
The JL Cooper MSB midi router boxes will do all that except the computer uplink part.

(I guess the "easy" part is relative, you punch in the destinations using inc/dec buttons and the display is in hexadecimal - (hey, there's 16 characters per 7-segment display unit!)

They're really not too bad for an all hardware setup once you absorb the logic, the lack of computer dependency is gold imoh. Have had two in my studio over the years, both the rev I and II, (which had some bug fixes) - oh, they also can only merge 2 inputs to any particular combinations of outputs at a time due to the limitations/costs of UART's of that era.
tioJim
I have been round this block a number of times. Believe it or not but the best solution remains the venerable MOTU MIDI Timepiece MTP AV.

There's a USB version and a parallel port version. You'll have some luck configuring with a computer with the former, less so with the latter (but it can be done).

Either way all the important bits can be set from the front panel without a computer, nor does it need to be tethered to a computer to operate.

They pop up on eBay pretty often. You shouldn't have to pay more than £75 fo the parallel version, maybe £125 tops for the USB.

I've had one or two with noisy/failing power supplies so ask, "Is the transformer buzzy?", as replacements are unavailable.

Despite being 20 years old it remains a brilliant option for connecting a pile of MIDI boxes to one another without using a computer and if you're on a budget it's about the only option.

euromorcego
there are also a few non-computer solutions, like the kawai MAV-8.

4 inputs, 8 outputs, very easy to operate (but no 'midi merge' function). It should not be too expensive (or rather, only worth it if you get a good offer).
rkilman
Thanks, everyone! Lots of great options here. Now to find the best deal on Reverb.
DiscoDevil
I use a JL Cooper that is pretty feature rich but I've had issues with using the merge functions on it. I've had hung notes and had the unit lock up several times if it's overwhelmed with data. Could be my set up or just a faulty unit. It is over 20yrs old. I also use a MAV-8 that is dead simple and rock solid but lacks merge and presets.
pricklyrobot
Digital Music Corp MX-8
http://www.synthmanuals.com/manuals/digital_music_corp/mx-8_midi_patch bay/owners_manual/mx8_manual.pdf

They come up used pretty regular and for not too much
I’ve had mine for 10+ years. Had to swap the internal battery (common coin-cell type) once, but otherwise it’s been rock-solid.
Red Electric Rainbow
Casio TB-1
HerrX
Roland A-880

8 in, 8 out, and a fairly decent workhorse of a patcher/mixer/filter too.
pricklyrobot
Red Electric Rainbow wrote:
Casio TB-1

I’ve got a TB-1 as well, and it’s handy for what it does (basic 2-In 8–Out Thru box), but it doesn’t really meet the requirements the OP has laid out.
Red Electric Rainbow
pricklyrobot wrote:
Red Electric Rainbow wrote:
Casio TB-1

I’ve got a TB-1 as well, and it’s handy for what it does (basic 2-In 8–Out Thru box), but it doesn’t really meet the requirements the OP has laid out.

I guess I’m not familiar enough with how anything really works lol. I literally don’t have any “midi controllers”...... just a sequencer, some synths and a mountain of drum machines. I manage to get everythibg working at once though. Sorry if I derailed the OP at all.
ranix
this is what I use my Atari for. I've got an SMP24 and Unitor and configure the routing from Cubase 2.06

the MOTU Midi Timepiece looks really similar to what I've got. My setup only has 5 inputs and 7 outputs though. I did actually run out of inputs and have to get creative. The Midi Timepiece looks awesome.
Unborn Gore
pricklyrobot wrote:
Digital Music Corp MX-8
http://www.synthmanuals.com/manuals/digital_music_corp/mx-8_midi_patch bay/owners_manual/mx8_manual.pdf

They come up used pretty regular and for not too much
I’ve had mine for 10+ years. Had to swap the internal battery (common coin-cell type) once, but otherwise it’s been rock-solid.

There is a used one of these it Squarewave Sound in Salt Lake City. Like $50.
Unborn Gore
*repost
dkcg
I used a midisport 8x8s for a long time, still works, but the software no longer works on any of my computers, so changing routings would need a legacy computer.

If anyone wants something new with a warranty, the connectivity Mio10 has a 10x10 midi patchbay with filtering and lots of other things I never use (like midi over ethernet). I'm not sure if the smaller midi interfaces have a computer less patchbay, but the Mio10 was a great replacement for my outdated midisport.

But the Mio10 is a bit more than all the ones listed in the thread.

Is anyone is local to LA, you can have the midisport if you pick it up, or pay for shipping if you're not in LA and you can have it. Ha! Avoided the BST rules by giving it away. grin
rkilman
Yeah, I'm learning that just because a midi patchbay has USB doesn't mean it will work with modern computers. Particularly confusing with the MOTU MTP AV USB since some versions will work and some won't, depending on the firmware/USB chipset. Not a deal breaker, but a bit disappointing since I started to get excited about programming the presents via computer.
CF3
There’s also the Ensoniq KMX 8 and KMX 16. I’ve owned the KMX 16.

Solid and can be had for under $100. In fact theres a KMX-8 locally for $20 right now.
rkilman
CF3 wrote:

Solid and can be had for under $100. In fact theres a KMX-8 locally for $20 right now.

Wow, that's a great deal. If I hadn't just paid for an MTP that likely won't work with USB, I'd be all over that. I really like the simplicity of the interface of those Ensoniq units. And that KMX16 is a beast.
rkilman
My MOTU MTP AV arrived today and I was pleasantly surprised to find that the one I got will work with Mac OSX. Will make programming it a breeze.

I have noticed it can lag when sending lots of multiple notes over multiple channels, which was never an issue when I was using MIDI Thru to daisy chain everything, but hopefully this is just user error and not a defect or a shortcoming of the MTP.

Also, heads up to anyone interested in it, the knobs are way stiffer then I was expecting. I was hoping to take advantage of the fact that they can be programmed to send CC data, but they seem too stiff/slow to be useful. Maybe the original owner didn't use them much and they will loosen a bit over time.

All in all though, it is a quality unit that solves a lot of midi routing issues for me. Thanks for the strong recommendation, tioJim!
tioJim
Quote:
Also, heads up to anyone interested in it, the knobs are way stiffer then I was expecting. I was hoping to take advantage of the fact that they can be programmed to send CC data

Yeah mine have been the same. Always felt to me like maybe that feature was an after thought! Back when it was new perhaps people weren't so hot on twiddling knobs?

Quote:
All in all though, it is a quality unit that solves a lot of midi routing issues for me. Thanks for the strong recommendation, tioJim!

no worries! smile
Just me
CF3 wrote:

This. I have a KMX16 I picked up for $50. 100 setups. Merge. 15 in and 16 out/through.
Program in seconds from front panel. No menu diving.
Sammymyman
If you are still looking, try a midiman 3X8. It has 0 computerness. 3 inputs-8 outputs with 3 way switches, so each out can select from 3 inputs. Very usefull. They pop up on feebay all the time.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2