MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

what's your favorite distortion?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author what's your favorite distortion?
dvdsmoke
i would like to know more about not just distortion modules but also more generally things that add dirt, grit, character, warmth.

i've been looking at the ritual electronics miasma, the erica synths/gamechanger plasma eurorack. also non modular but thinking about elektron analog heat

thoughts contributions ideas?
NoLegs
That's like asking to pick a favorite pet or child Dead Banana
corpusjonsey
Harmonic percolator.
goldi
I mean yeah, it's vast and depends on taste. I personally love the L1 tube VCA and out of euro, the waldorf 2 pole filter which is way cheaper than the heat but .. never tried the heat so i won't make any declarations but yes, the 2 pole is f'n great..
adaris
I've been using these in combination:

Ritual Electronics Miasma
Bastl Timber
Metasonix RK3
Bastl Cinnamon
Esgal
With all the new distortions coming out this year (Erica, Bastl, Noise Engineeringx12...) I think a lot of “favorites” might be subject to change.
cackland
The Nutone from the recent successfully Plankton Electronics kickstarter campaign, will be my first Eurorack distortion module.

Look forward to that.
gringostar
Tyme Sefari mk1
Double Andore mk1
Metasonix RK3
Tonescape
Feedback PRE KM Rockin' Banana!

https://feedback-modules.myshopify.com/products/pre-km

The other pre's in the series are nice as well, but this is my favourite.
Heliophile
WMD Geiger Counter, hands down.
Summa
I'd go for pedals for a good distortion, the choices are far too many to make a list, just get some to try out and you'll find something you like for sure.
cackland
Summa wrote:
I'd go for pedals for a good distortion, the choices are far too many to make a list, just get some to try out and you'll find something you like for sure.

Fav distortion pedal?
sir stony
cackland wrote:
Summa wrote:

Fav distortion pedal?

+1 Summa

cackland:
Steavens "the brick" customized all tube preamp. we're not worthy
And a TL Audio indigo o-2031 twisted
Both no pedals, tho.

In the eurorack, I love my vb overfolder for its sound. Or else I use the drive circuits on my xaoc Tallin vca...
unclebastard
DOD Carcosa fuzz; I prefer fuzz to distortion, and this one covers all my requirements.
happyham
Doepfer a-189 bit crusher
Intellijel vcas
feedback loops through Instruo tan(h)
Mark II
+1 for the VBModular Overfolder.

Not so much a distortion but more wave mangling. Great for adding harmonics. Adding just a little fold and over is enough to generate a beautiful timbre from any waveform. Modulating symmetry really adds subtle movement. Great module.
ggillon
Well it's my only one in eurorack (also have TC electronics Mojomojo which works well with synths) so I can't say it's my favorite, but the Dual Drive from Erica synths sounds very good to my hears smile

reodjectz
Got to mention the DS-02 Love CVing the 'Hack' for pseudo compression effects.

AND FOH Plague baarer!
proturboplus
I just love overdriving the input of the Doepfer A-102 Diode Low Pass module. Bought a second one just to have stereo distortion. Great for drums! cool
snakejaw
Metasonix RK-2. Beautiful, rich distortion.
kwaidan
ProCo Rat. Field recordings. Rain. Vinyl static. Tape noise. Filtered noise.

The Serge Res EQ is good for treating field recordings and other background noise.

Tape echo!
electricfence
I have had a lot of fun running audio into the End Times Quark in drone mode with the clip pot turned way up. It's pretty fantastic for distortion.
arcanius
analog heat is pretty awesome ! and stereo, so you can use it on your master at the end as well...

since you've also mentioned non modular, i would also recommend some filterbanks... there are a few, and all have their own little tricks... usually they work pretty well for distortion, and with the filter you can really emphasize certain things...

Guinness ftw!
luchog
snakejaw wrote:
Metasonix RK-2. Beautiful, rich distortion.

And, if you can find it used, the old R-51. Mind you, it takes up nearly three times the rackspace as the RK-2.
Jaypee
Schippmann DST2
http://www.schippmann-music.com

Check the guitar demo...!

http://www.schippmann-music.com/downloads/Guitar_Dist_4.mp3
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4