MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

XLN Audio "XO"
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Author XLN Audio "XO"
nostalghia
Recently announced. Anyone that works with drum samples (in a DAW or standalone app) should check it out.
https://www.xlnaudio.com/products/xo

10-day demo download available-been playing with it for a few days and really digging it so far. Includes tons of one hit samples and pattern loops, you can add your own collection of samples easily, build new beats and locate samples that are similar to another one (makes it easy to find something just a bit different for a new tune).

paperwork
It looks really fun. Can you adjust the pattern length(s) in the sequencer? I see there's a simple A/B pattern chaining option, but can you work with sequences that aren't in 16 step blocks?
nostalghia
paperwork wrote:
It looks really fun. Can you adjust the pattern length(s) in the sequencer? I see there's a simple A/B pattern chaining option, but can you work with sequences that aren't in 16 step blocks?

If you are asking "possible to have fewer than 16 steps?", I'm not sure, haven't tried it yet. Mostly just been auditioning sounds and patterns in the demo and making some edits, plus getting sidetracked and giving in to urge to jam along with some of the cool ones...

Re longer than 16 steps, sounds like you already spotted this: "XO has two patterns, A and B. they can be linked into an “AB” or “AAAB” pattern chain."
paperwork
I just downloaded the demo. Super fun! There doesn't seem to be a way to make patterns of a length other than 16 steps (I am thinking shorter, like 12 for example). But it takes MIDI input of course so one could trigger those patterns from another sequencer in combination with the built-in seq.

The "accentuator" interface is great. It's like dialing in an accent pattern by changing the amplitude of a few different beat-synced LFOs that are mixed together ... Very intuitive and fun, has a "random" button, and sounds really good.

The "beat combiner" is a super easy shorthand for quickly building patterns visually. It feel like working with Grids or a euclidean sequencer but it's really easy to switch on+off for different drum sounds, and mix in with hand-made sequences. Maybe this library of patterns is why they only use 16 steps everywhere, but still ...

I didn't spend much time with them but the built-in effects (reverb and delay) seem kinda weak and uninteresting, and don't offer much control (just "length", "tone" and "level"). But since you can easily route the drum sounds to separate outputs from the plugin I would probably just use other plugins for reverb and delay anyway.

Fantastic plugin if you're into sampled drums!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Page 1 of 1