MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

synthesising a goose
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author synthesising a goose
timoka
for a project i need to somehow synthesise a goose screaming:

i'm quite excited to try this and think with time and patience i will come up with something.
i thought i ask here, maybe someone here has done similar sounds and can share some practical tips on how to start...
fm...ringmod...feedbackloop...sync etc?

here are my results so far:

[s]http://soundcloud.com/uzala/goose_01/s-mHFNV[/s]

[s]http://soundcloud.com/uzala/goose-2/s-6k2Bi[/s]
PhineasFreak
enveloped fm saw on saw wave, enveloped pitch and amplitude...
sizone
could this be the next stage in the evolution of the robot fart meme?
wackelpeter
PhineasFreak wrote:
enveloped fm saw on saw wave, enveloped pitch and amplitude...

was able to get something that sounded a Little bit like a duck and on lower notes something that resembled an frog, albeit a semi-optimal one… smile
results were Pretty much depending on Ratio of base VCO and modulating VCO...

But yeah i can imagine the goose needing something higher pitched initial VCO frequency...
Dave Peck
I don't know if this will help, but I have heard similar sounds from a physical modeling patch (on a digital synth - an Nord Modular) that was intended to replicate an oboe, when some of the patch settings were pushed to extremes and some internal feedback loops got too 'hot'. I doubt that I could recreate it intentionally. Good luck!
Blairio
Perhaps a FFT of a goose recording, played back through some kind of additive synth, like a kawai K5?

Alternatively I suggest hiring a session goose. They would nail this in one take.

Then run the recording through a bit cruncher or other such thing, and deny point blank a real bird was involved. I have found geese to be quite discrete in these matters.
Dave Peck
Blairio wrote:

Alternatively I suggest hiring a session goose. They would nail this in one take.

Actually I had been wondering why not just use the recording of the goose in that video in the first post - ?
slaverevoltinaesthetics
Blairio wrote:

Then run the recording through a bit cruncher or other such thing, and deny point blank a real bird was involved. I have found geese to be quite discrete in these matters.

hihi hihi hihi
Comedy gold.
timoka
@Blairio applause

thanks guys for all responses, i had already great results with "just" a dpo and a pressure controller, will post some sketches later.

sure, i could use samples or record myself or even go the classic foley route where i blow into a goose whistle. but the project plays with sound and illusion in a very specific way, synthetic reality etc. the goal isn't actually to achieve the perfect imitation but the place just before that, a sort of uncanny valley in sound. anyway, my job isn't the conceptual thinking in this project but to design the sounds so i'm happy to be that restricted smile

i thought about resynthesis, fft etc. but then i'm also bound to an "original", a sample which in this case is not allowed.
timoka

i think the overall sound is good, but it lacks the guttural raspy sounds...
no idea how to get those variations...
Dave Peck
Well done! applause
Koekepan
*dons fedora*

*pushes glasses up nose*

In point of fact, while it's all very well to simulate that one cry, you would actually find that the general case problem is more interesting because geese exhibit sexual dimorphism in their voices, besides the fact that varying breeds of goose have notably different voices. One can tell a toulouse from an african blindfold at a hundred yards. A clue to appropriate anatid simulation would be in their syrinx, which affords them a naturally distorted bitonal capability, in addition to the resonant effects of their throats, skulls and bills.

Of course, nothing can replace the subtle intonations of the warm, organic reality. The inaudible overtones lend a rich subtlety to the voice that mere electronics could never hope to supplant.

*adjusts shemagh*

*orders organic fair trade coffee*
hinterlands303
timoka wrote:

Wow this is really good actually. Patch notes?
MarcelP
Koekepan wrote:

One can tell a toulouse from an african blindfold at a hundred yards.

Well obviously - the African one is the goose with the blindfold on - even I could spot a blindfold goose at a hundred yards. It would be the one bumping into things and making a fuss. Then again it might be the one silently standing still..... yeah, this isn’t as easy as I thought!
raccoonboy
timoka wrote:

sounds great. Maybe try an extra layer for the guttural stuff. Maybe some pink noise with a rapid ramp LFO affecting the amplitude and then into a little distortion? maybe have the saw LFO change speed slightly over time with another LFO. Then modulate the overall volume again with an envelope perhaps following the original sound.
timoka
Koekepan wrote:
*dons fedora*

*pushes glasses up nose*

In point of fact, while it's all very well to simulate that one cry, you would actually find that the general case problem is more interesting because geese exhibit sexual dimorphism in their voices, besides the fact that varying breeds of goose have notably different voices. One can tell a toulouse from an african blindfold at a hundred yards. A clue to appropriate anatid simulation would be in their syrinx, which affords them a naturally distorted bitonal capability, in addition to the resonant effects of their throats, skulls and bills.

Of course, nothing can replace the subtle intonations of the warm, organic reality. The inaudible overtones lend a rich subtlety to the voice that mere electronics could never hope to supplant.

*adjusts shemagh*

of course, but since i'm not an ornithologist working scientifically accurate i think my naive musical and technical approach to "only" try to reproduce a snippet of the whole picture is legitimate as well. i'm interested in the physical modelling of natural sounds as well, especially voices. but here i think i am satisfied with a mimetic approximation.
timoka
raccoonboy wrote:
timoka wrote:

sounds great. Maybe try an extra layer for the guttural stuff. Maybe some pink noise with a rapid ramp LFO affecting the amplitude and then into a little distortion? maybe have the saw LFO change speed slightly over time with another LFO. Then modulate the overall volume again with an envelope perhaps following the original sound.

ja, i think it needs a noise source and then maybe modulate the filter of the tonal sound so both interact, dunno, i will try things, i think a feedback patch to overshoot some bits to get the first screeching is also worth a try.
R.U.Nuts
I can get some similar sounds from a XAOC Belgrad self oscillating, self modulation engaged via the Tito switch and fed by a saw wave with input gain cranked. Then apply appropriate modulation and you get all kinds of animal like wails.
moogah
Koekepan wrote:
*dons fedora*

*pushes glasses up nose*

*adjusts shemagh*

This is why I visit the internet. 1000 points to you.
Randy
Just wait for the new Behringer Goose (called Guice I've heard). It'll be smaller than the original but will of course sound exactly the same.
ayruos
You should have a look at Andy Farnells approaches to synthesising bird sounds procedurally as discussed in his book Procedural Audio. Of course, he's doing it all on Pure Data, I'm not sure if you're working with hardware or software, but some of his approaches are applicable everywhere.
Just another rookie
Never blow into a gooses whistle......
w00t
Metasonix!

There are laws against that kind of thing.
boramx
i’d sooner clone a goose or try reanimating a goose cadaver than try to synthesize one. thats crazy talk.
JES
This is an amazing thread—both for he goose facts and the goose synthesis.
timoka
here's another attempt, this time the goose seems to be in an agitated state:)

[s]http://soundcloud.com/uzala/goose-2/s-6k2Bi[/s]

again dpo only, played with a ribbon controller.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2