MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Will Kester 2331-ZX flux remove residue from 245 no-clean?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Will Kester 2331-ZX flux remove residue from 245 no-clean?
moogah
Odd question I realize.. I've got a pound of super thin 245 no-clean solder that I'd like to use for SMT soldering. Thing is I have no interest in leaving all that residue behind, so I'd need something to clean it up. Wondering if a 2331-ZX flux pen would dissolve what the 245 leaves behind so I can just wash it away

https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/213/TDS_2331-ZX_Soldering_Flux-1501 413.pdf
https://www.kester.com/DesktopModules/Bring2mind/DMX/Download.aspx?Ent ryId=958&Command=Core_Download&language=en-US&PortalId=0&TabId=96

"245 results in visually acceptable assemblies without cleaning". Not good enough for me unless I _have_ to use it (not gonna wash my pots and switches).
acinonyx
Don't use water soluble flux pen on 245 no-clean solder!
Don't wash the 245 no-clean solder!

The water soluble flux (corrosive) must be cleaned with hot water immediately (kester says in 48 hours but I wash it in 1-2 hours max).

You can wash everything except wires, pots, trimmers, jacks, switches and so on...To be sure always check the datasheets!

The 245 no-clean solder should be cleaned with IPA + old toothbrush (scrub gently) and then you can use a Qtip for the remaining spots of flux if any.
There is no need to clean it but flux hides weak joints, traps junk around joints and it looks neater!

The flux pen is usually just for making the soldering process easiest on tricky joints or SMT or for desoldering process or for old pcbs in order to clean the oxidation and not for cleaning the residues.

Basically, it helps the solder to move smoothly.

The 245 comes with built-in flux. If you need extra flux for the 245 you should buy a no-clean flux pen and not water soluble flux pen!

I prefer liquid flux in a needle bottle dispenser because the flux pen is a little messy.
For desoldering purposes you don't need it at all if you have good quality wick or braid.
keninverse
Only using IPA may not really work so DI water + saponifier (e.g. Kester 5240 or 5768). May need to use IPA as well depending on how much flux is left on the board.
moogah
Sorry for the ignorance, what is IPA? (presumably I'm not pouring beer on the PCBs hihi )
m.o
Iso-propyl(?)-Alcohol

propyl, propanole - I can never remember exctly.

Anyway, cleaning alcohol.
mskala
m.o wrote:
Iso-propyl(?)-Alcohol

propyl, propanole - I can never remember exctly.

Strictly correct chemical names: "isopropyl alcohol" or "propan-2-ol"

Also commonly used but not strictly correct: "isopropanol"

It goes by many other names, too.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1