MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Good CV sequencers for the cost?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Good CV sequencers for the cost?
WonderAliceLand
Hi all! I'm building a host of VCOs for my eurorack rig and only have a single SQ-1 for sequencing Dead Banana .

So, after searching around for half a day, I saw a couple projects that I thought were decent (bottom of post) but I came to the conclusion there was no way I was going to find an answer without asking people much more knowledgeable than I, you all Miley Cyrus

So, the question, "what are some good, low cost sequencers". The broadness of this question is intentional. If you think that an 8 step, 4 voice sequencer with perks for the parts cost of $100 is a great deal, tell us about it. If you know of a $5 sequencer that only has 4 steps and you think its a good deal (which I would say both examples could be) then tell us about it! Ultimately its up to you, and I would like to thank you.

LMNC Sequencer: (https://www.lookmumnocomputer.com/projects#/sequencer-keyboard)

Adafruit Trellis Teensy sequencer: (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qruwFXPC1Og&t=147s) which may or may not have CV capabilities)
StillNotWorking
One could argue Intellijel Designs Metropolis is a bargain even though it cost an arm and a leg. Reason being it inspire creating rhythmic patterns for your music that you rarly come up with twisting voltage levels and triggers.

There where several SDIY project drawing inspiration from the same Roland 100M sequenser, if I recal corecly one of them where named M185.
DozenCrows
If you're willing to DIY, the Westlicht Performer is amazing value for the money - eight tracks of CV + gate, flexible routing and lots of control options (including USB MIDI host support). Fully open source.

It's only available as PCB and panel from various sources (e.g. Pusherman, Michigan Synth Works), not a full kit.

https://westlicht.github.io/performer/
WonderAliceLand
DozenCrows wrote:
If you're willing to DIY, the Westlicht Performer is amazing value for the money

That looks exactly like what I need. I only have found a single place that sells the PCB faceplates and/or circuit board, and they are out of stock. Does anyone know any place in stock?
DozenCrows
You can also get the PCB files from Github and use them to create an order with a PCB fab such as JLCPCB for a small inexpensive run (minimum 5 I think). Then sell the spare PCBs at cost to fellow wigglers...
ersatzplanet
Does it need to be a "knob/collumn/row" sequencer? If not, I would suggest the Division6 Dual Mini Sequencer Eurorack module, or their Business Card desktop version. As for low cost, you can't beat the kit versions for $35 and $17. https://division-6.com/product-category/kits/

WonderAliceLand
ersatzplanet wrote:
As for low cost, you can't beat the kit versions for $35 and $17.]

Ooooh... $35 is the PCB/Faceplate (with 2 IC) combo cost... not the kit, the kit is $90. I was so happy and then realized I would have to pay $450 and not $175 for 5.

What does the Mauser BOM come out to? I couldn't find a BOM, but I am hoping since $35 includes ICs that it would be less than an additional $55 as is the difference between kit and pcb/faceplate.
ersatzplanet
WonderAliceLand wrote:

Ooooh... $35 is the PCB/Faceplate (with 2 IC) combo cost... not the kit, the kit is $90. I was so happy and then realized I would have to pay $450 and not $175 for 5.

Still, $90 is cheap for two sequencers. They can be clocked completely separate from each other. I often clock the bottom one with the Accent out of the top one for instance.

WonderAliceLand wrote:
What does the Mauser BOM come out to? I couldn't find a BOM, but I am hoping since $35 includes ICs that it would be less than an additional $55 as is the difference between kit and pcb/faceplate.

The Bill of materials with the mouser parts numbers (for parts carried by mouser) is in the documents section - https://division-6.com/media/dual-mini-sequencer_bom.pdf
WonderAliceLand
[quote="ersatzplanet"]
WonderAliceLand wrote:

The Bill of materials with the mouser parts numbers (for parts carried by mouser) is in the documents section - https://division-6.com/media/dual-mini-sequencer_bom.pdf

Sweet, thanks! Just grabbed one since it was free shipping.
electricanada
If you want DIY then check out:

https://www.tindie.com/products/pmfoundations/synthola-sequencer-euror ack-pcb-set/

or one of the NLC sequencer DIY projects. That said, it's hard to beat the Ladik sequencer on price.
Jaytee
Hard to beat the 75¢ Baby10 eBay sequencer kit. Okay, you can’t really finish the sequencer for 75¢, but it’s a 4017, a 555, trimmer, some resistors and LEDs, and a handy PCB, which is most of what you need for a Baby10. Grab some pots and jacks and you’re pretty much good to go.
WonderAliceLand
Jaytee wrote:
Hard to beat the 75¢ Baby10 eBay sequencer kit.

Could I have a link for one that I could get to work with my eurorack system? I can't seem to find the one in question.
WonderAliceLand
WonderAliceLand wrote:
Jaytee wrote:

Could I have a link for one that I could get to work with my eurorack system? I can't seem to find the one in question.

ALSO

Wondering if anyone knows of a stripboard schematic for 4017/4051. Can't seem to find one.
comrade_zero
How DIY are you willing to go? You can handcraft a 16-step sequencer with an arduino nano ($3-$5 clone), 2 cd4028 binary to decimal counters, 18-20 100k pots, a couple of jacks, six 2n3906 transistors, some push-buttons, and 16 diodes... all told about $30 bucks in parts, but you will need to build a panel. And wire the sucker... and program the firmware...The nice part of this approach though is that you can program the nano to do fun stuff like sequence length (1-16), variable gate length (whole, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, gate off) tempo, forward, backward, ping-pong, random. I even slapped a midi circuit on the front so i could sequence the sequencer from an external midi source or DAW...
WonderAliceLand
comrade_zero wrote:
How DIY are you willing to go? You can handcraft a 16-step sequencer with an arduino nano ($3-$5 clone), 2 cd4028 binary to decimal counters, 18-20 100k pots, a couple of jacks, six 2n3906 transistors, some push-buttons, and 16 diodes... all told about $30 bucks in parts, but you will need to build a panel. And wire the sucker... and program the firmware...The nice part of this approach though is that you can program the nano to do fun stuff like sequence length (1-16), variable gate length (whole, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, gate off) tempo, forward, backward, ping-pong, random. I even slapped a midi circuit on the front so i could sequence the sequencer from an external midi source or DAW...

I have two coming from china for just this idea. Is this like what I mention in the LMNC stuff or is this something further?
comrade_zero
A little bit further... Arduino outputs are at 5v max, depending on your vco this might not give the range you want. The cd2048 binary to decimal decoder chip will give you 8 steps (using three input logic pins) or 10 (using 4 pins). Using 6 pins on the arduino and two 4028's gives you control over 16 steps. The 4028's output is their power supply voltage, so in a euro system 12v. You have to step up the logic signals for the 4028's (running at 12v), hence the 2n3906's. Other than that it is simply the pot as voltage divider/ diode to cv bus (add a buffer if you like)/ LED arrangement like the baby 10 etc... The real power is in the flexibility of programming your code. I use pot to analog in for mode select/ tempo/ step select/ sequence length and a pushbutton for gate on/off... Using only six digital output pins to drive the sequencer leaves plenty of pins to set up your interface.
Jaytee
WonderAliceLand wrote:
Jaytee wrote:

Search for “4017 kit” and sort by price. There’s a through-hole and an SMT version.
WonderAliceLand
Jaytee wrote:

Search for “4017 kit” and sort by price. There’s a through-hole and an SMT version.

So the $1 sets? How do I end up using it for my eurorack?
Jaytee
WonderAliceLand wrote:
Jaytee wrote:

So the $1 sets? How do I end up using it for my eurorack?

If you look up the Baby10 or Baby8 sequencer, you should be able to work it out. You’re just using pots as voltage dividers instead of lighting LEDs
astrosound
A few years ago I built a baby-10 sequencer using one of those inexpensive 4017 ebay kits. It's ok. It needed a couple extra chips on some perfboard to get the functionality I wanted. This sort of defeated the whole purpose of getting the kit since I could have just stuck a 4017 on the perfboard and not bought the kit. The couple dollars spent wasn't a big deal, but the extra time it took to wire it up to my perfboard could have been avoided. Looking back, I wish I used an arduino because I would have had more features right out the gate like what comrade_zero mentioned.

I'd suggest only build the baby-10 only if you need the bare minimum of features quick & dirty - that is to say, switchable gate and an unbuffered CV per step. It's perfect for that. Look elsewhere if you want a synchronous reset, V/oct CV, variable gate length etc.
WonderAliceLand
astrosound wrote:

I'd suggest only build the baby-10 only if you need the bare minimum of features quick & dirty - that is to say, switchable gate and an unbuffered CV per step. It's perfect for that. Look elsewhere if you want a synchronous reset, V/oct CV, variable gate length etc.

So a baby-10 kit be good for things like drum modules? I think that is what you were saying about looking elsewhere. I have an idea in my head of a stack of baby-10 kits on a single eurorack panel to sequence my drum section.

I bought a set of about 20 each 555, 4017, 4029, 4051, 4532 in order to make a few. I have stripboard instead of perfboard, going to be looking for stripboard layouts, I welcome any layouts if anyone has some laying about or favorited.
astrosound
Yeah, thats a good application for the baby 10. You'll need to AND the gate output with the clock, otherwise two or more adjacent steps in the on position will just be one long gate and the drum will only trigger once. You can use a couple diodes or transistors for the AND if you don't have a cd4081 handy.

Here's a Stripboard layout for a baby 10 with 555 clock source.

.http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-52774.html
electricanada
WonderAliceLand wrote:
I have two coming from china for just this idea. Is this like what I mention in the LMNC stuff or is this something further?

Am I being too pedantic, or is the Arduino fundamentally incompatible with the NC part of LMNC?
WonderAliceLand
astrosound wrote:
Yeah, thats a good application for the baby 10. You'll need to AND the gate output with the clock, otherwise two or more adjacent steps in the on position will just be one long gate and the drum will only trigger once. You can use a couple diodes or transistors for the AND if you don't have a cd4081 handy.

Here's a Stripboard layout for a baby 10 with 555 clock source.

.http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-52774.html

Just bought 10x CD4081; also have transistors if I want to use those for some reason; looking forward to have some interesting drum setups that look nice and sexy Miley Cyrus

My biggest problem is while I can follow a stripboard/pcb layout and solder as well as use the equipment, yet when it comes to schematics and general understanding of things like "AND the gates output with the clock" I am not very good. So knowing how to adapt the PCB to work with my eurorack stuff is going to be interesting as I will never be sure whether my conclusions and interpretations are right ( need hand holding It's peanut butter jelly time! )

electricanada wrote:
Am I being too pedantic, or is the Arduino fundamentally incompatible with the NC part of LMNC?

Not at all, I say we riot! Dead Banana
electricanada
Let's burn the joint to the ground, with our soldering irons.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2