MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

That little tab on Alpha 9mm right angle pcb mount pots.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author That little tab on Alpha 9mm right angle pcb mount pots.
slick8086
So I just put together the front panel PCB on my fonitronic TH-555 VCO. The pots I got had these little tabs that seemed like they fit a keyed hole, but the holes on my front panel weren't keyed. I filed off the little tabs so the pots would sit flush.

These are the pots I got. ALPHA 9MM POTENTIOMETER, RIGHT ANGLE PCB MOUNT, 6.35MM ROUND SHAFT

Do those pots come in a non-keyed version?

What do you do about that little tab?
rampy
Just break it off with a small pair of pliers.
Roni
Thonk sell those pots without the "anti-rotation" tabs. I think that is their own custom specification. If you ordered as much as they do from the manufacturer you could get same. But just as easy to cut them off.
infinitemachinery
A good pair of side cutters makes quick work of those tabs.
mskala
I design a small hole into the panel for the tab to fit into. It may not really be very important, but it is there for a reason. It helps reduce the stress transferred to the PCB through the solder joints.
astrosound
One trick I saw on a DIY effects pedal site years ago was to stuff the broken off tab into the slot of the potentiometer shaft (assuming it's of the slotted knurled variety). Supposed to prevent the shaft from bending inwards which can reduce its grip on the knob.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1