MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

ES-8 with Windows 10
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Author ES-8 with Windows 10
Faastwalker
I'm again looking at getting an ES-8 for software control (Propellerhead Reason) of external modular gear. Looks like a fantastic solution with lots of possibilities. However, I'm concerned about using it on a Windows 10 machine & the requirement to run the ASIO4ALL driver. Sounds like the whole experience is much smoother on a Mac with the ES-8 set-up as an aggregate device. ASIO4ALL sounds like it could be the weak link in the chain on Windows however. I just wondered what peoples experiences are of using the ES-8 on a Windows machine with the ASIO4ALL drivers.
Faastwalker
........ or maybe I could just bypass the need to have the ES-8 an a 2nd USB audio interface & use an interface with ADAT I/O. I guess then I can go straight from the interface to the ADAT on the ES-8. Would this work? might be time to upgrade.
os
If you're going to get an audio interface with ADAT, I would suggest the ES-3 as a more economical option.
Faastwalker
os wrote:
If you're going to get an audio interface with ADAT, I would suggest the ES-3 as a more economical option.

That's only outputs though. I like the idea of having some inputs to send stuff back into Reason. On the other hand it's $299 (AUS) compared to $749 (AUS) for the ES-8. So a big difference there. Certainly something else to consider if I go the new interface route.

But do you have any experience with ES-8 on a Windows machine? I can't find a single demo. It sounds like the ASIO4ALL part might be the bit that lets the whole thing down + the fact that Windows doesn't allow audio devices to be configured quite as well as Max OSX handles it.
os
If you want inputs you add the ES-6 (and possibly ES-7), giving you more inputs than the ES-8 does.

The ES-8 is supported on Windows, but yes it does sounds like the need for asio4all is the weak point if you need to combine it with another device.
Faastwalker
os wrote:
If you want inputs you add the ES-6 (and possibly ES-7), giving you more inputs than the ES-8 does.

The ES-8 is supported on Windows, but yes it does sounds like the need for asio4all is the weak point if you need to combine it with another device.

I didn't realise that the ES-3 could be expanded. That's good to know. Okay, so an ADAT I/O capable interface with ES-3 + ES-6 is looking like a great solution. Will give me plenty of I/O & negate the need to have to set-up anything as a 2nd audio device. thumbs up I currently have a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6. Thinking of upgrading to the Scarlett 18i20 for more I/O including ADAT I/O all for a very reasonable price.
mafouka
Is ASIO4ALL + es-8 really that bad? Is high latency the issue here? Genuinely interested in hearing anyone's experience with this combo
geremyf
I don't have one but I don't think the issue is latency, but combining the ES-8 with another audio interface for normal audio signaling. On mac it's easy. I'm not sure how to do it in Windows 10
GGW
Windows should handle multiple interfaces fine.
Specific to the ES-8, I thought this would be ideal for generating control voltages from a computer. I thought I saw a Max object for the ES-8 which would be perfect for me. Do I need another driver for the ES-8? Is there no written Windows driver? Will asio4all work?
os
There's a driver for the ES-8. (https://expert-sleepers.co.uk/downloads.html)
GGW
Ah, missed that. Excellent; thanks!
Mr. Aloud
GGW wrote:
Windows should handle multiple interfaces fine.

I agree it should, but unfortunately it doesn´t very frustrating It all depends on the drivers for a given product and their quality varies A LOT. Even if you look at non-CV applications (plain vanilla multiple channel I/O) there is all sorts of things that should work, but don´t.

What to verify:

- Are drivers stackable? Can you connect multiple hardware instances and will the driver be able to address them? What if USB ports are switched in between, will the driver use a UUID or simply randomize the port order in that case?

- Are drivers multi-client enabled? If you happen to have an interface with many ports I/O, can they be shared between programs? Worst case, go for one interface per application and then have fun sychronizing them.

It depends on every company whether they feel like implementing just those two basic features, and it´s per model of course. Even big names don´t always deliver, think Yamaha, Focusrite, Roland and others. RME seem to do well in this regard, at least I still hope they´re one of my options now.

ASIO4ALL is kind of a gamble, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn´t, all depending on the hardware and drivers involved. Let me say I´ve lost enough hair in a pure Roland setup (combining 4 or 5 of their boutique and AIRA devices) to finally drop the project. And this was just a single vendor.

ES-8 does not support stacking or multi-client AFAIK, which is not an issue unless you plan to use more than 12in/16out. Would buy two if at least stackable drivers were available. Until then, I´m thinking about (ES-8 + ES-3) for audio I/O and audio rate CV, but add multiple FH-2 for larger numbers of I/O at reduced resolution. If stacked FH-2s are supported, that is.

I´m not a a point where I also consider a hackintosh or used mac as an alternative, just for the sake of native aggregate devices.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Page 1 of 1