MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

I Need Utilities???? ( Complete )
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author I Need Utilities???? ( Complete )
PietroC
It has been mentionned that i need more utilities
VCA 's / Mixers / ????? / ?????? /

What Do you think??
shredsickgnar
If you have to ask the answer is yes.
Phitar
Rosie X 2 ? I ask.

Yes you prolly do need more utilities.
OIP
attenuverters, mults

matrix mixer is a great tool for multiple purposes (normal mixer, feedback, cross modulation, multing, effects send and return)
PietroC
[quote="Phitar"]Rosie X 2 ? I ask.

Yes you prolly do need more utilities.[/quote]

I use my Rosies directly to my audio interface

Having the Morphagene / QPAS and Other Stereo Modules
If i have only one out from a Rosie its a mono track
So Left track Goes to One Rosie
Right Track Goes to the other Rosie
Then i have Stereo Tracks
goldi
The rosie is stereo. That’s what the trs out is. Split that and sell your other rosie.
bedhed3000
goldi wrote:
The rosie is stereo. That’s what the trs out is. Split that and sell your other rosie.

This is true. What you need is a stereo mixer before the Rosie - like the Happy Nerding 3X Stereo Mixer: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/happy-nerding-3x-stereo-mixer-black. HN modules are super-solid and affordable too.

One "utility" module that I really like at the moment is the Acid Rain Switchblade. You get 3 channels that can any combination of switches mixers w/ a mute button for each channel.
PietroC
[quote="bedhed3000"][quote="goldi"]
Rosie is TRS But if you use a TRS 1/4 jack the Output Level never goes to zero never goes to zero

Plus Stereo tracks is hard to Mix and Master irs better Two mono Tracks that you can mix and combine as stereo later ( I Don't know much about this Its just my take and opinion of Mixing and Mastering people i dealt with )

Its the third person that tells me i don't need two Rosie's
That One is Plenty ( But My Stereo Dilemma LOL )

What do you mean i need a stereo mixer before Rosie??
I have a Qpas / Erbe-Verb Morphagene that have Stereo Outputs ?
I don't understand Please Elaborate

Anyway Updated my Set up
I'm waiting for my second 9U Case

So Meanwhile i got to swap out Modules depending on wants
I Swapped out RXMX to put a IME - Double Andore MK2 ( Just Fucking Insane So Is the RXMX )

Then swapping a Rosie and 6hp Blank for a IME -Malgorithm MK2 and Two Intellijel Buff Mults
Good Times
starthief
What audio interface are you using? You might not need even one Rosie.
bedhed3000
PietroC wrote:

Its the third person that tells me i don't need two Rosie's
That One is Plenty ( But My Stereo Dilemma LOL )

What do you mean i need a stereo mixer before Rosie??
I have a Qpas / Erbe-Verb Morphagene that have Stereo Outputs ?
I don't understand Please Elaborate

Look at this patch:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/patches/view/50554

You've got the outs from Qpas, Erbe-Verb, and Morphagene going into a 3 channel stereo mixer. The output of the mixer goes into the Rosie, and the Rosie goes out in stereo via a TRS cable.

But now that I think of it, you can just go directly out of the mixer. Starthief is right, you probably don't really need the Rosie at all - unless you use the send/return or the headphone pre-fade. You can just keep your levels nice and low while recording.
nicholasyu
I don't really understand all of these output modules. They're just mixers, with one input right? Are they just so you don't need to use a 1/4" -> 1/8" cable?
flashheart
Well a mixer with one input isn't really a mixer is it cool. They're basically attenuators. Some of them do other things (eg.headphone monitoring), or have balanced outs. But yes you can just use an 1/8" to 1/4" cable - this is what I do.
authorless
It depends what you want to do with your modular. If what you have is working for you, then what you have is what you need. The Make Noise stuff is good for having attenuators/attenuverters on inputs, that gets rid of the need for some utilities.

If you have to ask if you need something, then you probably don't need it.
esquilofreniko
Mutable Instruments blinds is a great Voltage Controlled Polarizer (you can use it for ring modulation or for voltage controled CV inverting) (it can also function as a mixer and vca)
sackley
+1 to authorless’ post.

You’ve got a full system, use it and decide what you want to add, if anything, as you go.
mhtones
sackley wrote:
+1 to authorless’ post.

You’ve got a full system, use it and decide what you want to add, if anything, as you go.

+2. This would be my usual response.

But if you want to spend some money then I'd recommend looking at some more vcas and dedicated lfos (preferably voltage controllable with multiple simultaneous outputs which will allow for self modulation) to supplement Maths and contour so that those 2 can be dedicated to function/slope duty. You do have mixers already built in to your modules like Maths, moddemix, Optomix, and rxmx.

Batumi is a good place to start for lfos. I like the WMD triple bipolar vca for vcas which would be a "cleaner" vca to supplement your moddemix. I've also heard good things about the vermona quadropol.
dysonant
mhtones wrote:
sackley wrote:
+1 to authorless’ post.

+2. This would be my usual response.

+3

You have a ton of utilities already. As mentioned previously, Makenoise builds in a ton of utility to their modules. Plus the Double Andore has a shit ton of utility. Both of these manufacturers put attenuverters on almost every CV input. To me, that looks like a solid, very functional system.

You can add to it, but if you do not find yourself reaching for something that is not there, then maybe you do not need anything.
gringostar
Dogpiling onto what others have said about your existing modules having a bunch of utilities already baked into them, but you might want to look at some logic modules and sequential switches to make things a bit more animated and varied.

Also think about adding the Livestock Electronics Felix which will allow you to mult your CV signals around your system while attenuating/attenuverting them since you only really have maths, contour, and the DA mkII as your only CV.
Foghorn
nicholasyu wrote:
I don't really understand all of these output modules. They're just mixers, with one input right? Are they just so you don't need to use a 1/4" -> 1/8" cable?

In the case of Rosie, "Uses high quality Burr Brown line drivers"
They are double ended output drivers.
They sort of function like a transformer output.
They are isolated, push pull, balanced outputs.
A lot better than a 1/8 to 1/4 cable, which by the way works just fine for me.
Actually I have 16 1/8 to 1/4 cables going to a mixer.

Foghorn
BrokenBo
i wouldn´t add too much to this system tbh. looks solid.
PietroC
Thanks So Much for all the help and suggestions!!!

When I started i wanted to get a BG Shared System
But Went for a LC9 and Custom approach cause i wanted the Telharmonic and Qpas I didn't Want Pressure Points / Moddemix / The Brief Case Sliding Nuts :bang: )
Since the BG has a output
I thought i Need a Rosie ( Two For My Stereo Dilemma LOL )
But with time i'm starting to realize this is a new custom most of everyone go straight from modular to mixer or Audio Interface
Without the need for A EXTERNAL OUTPUT MODULE
:cry:

But I'm Liking the fact that it can cross fade between 2 channels and i can use the return for effects or extra tracks Its 8HP and with two i do not clutter one track with so much sound ( Though They Just Release the XO It be cool it would have the option to be 3 Stereo Channels or 6 Mono Channels
:yay:

Now with RXMX / Optomix v2 / Maths / Double Andore MK2 / King Slender / 2 Rosies i Have more then enough Mixers
But i've been looking at Blinds from MI and Miso from TipTop for CV-able Attenuverters ( [u]Authorless[/u] Mentionned Blinds Thanks )
So Many things I was not aware of and still not aware of but i do not regret any purchases
Still got to check Out Livestock Electronics Felix
:moneyburn:

Decided no on the Moddemix cause i don't enjoy the sound of ring modulation ( Prefer Running 2 OSC with channels slowly cycling in Maths Sounds Wild )

My Audio Interface is Steinberg UR44
I usually run
IN 1 Rosie R
IN 2 Rosie L
IN 3 Drum Brute Impact ( All Outputs )
IN 4 Synth 1 ( Or Individual out of Drum Machine Kick )
IN 5 Synth 2 ( Or Individual out of Drum Machine Snare )
IN 6 Synth 3 ( Or Individual out of Drum Machine HiHat )

Im still new to this and in Exploration mode
So Many Different Possibilities Its Hard to Compose for me at the moment cause I'm always discovering new things ( i can't explain never came across sounds and rhythms like this ) :hmm:

I've Optomized my Set-Up
Really Happy with where its at
Harvestman and Make Noise Gel Well
Harvestman can do a lot and add a lot of grim and nastiness

Definitely Looking Into
- Cv-Able Attenuverters ( Blinds / Miso / Livestock Electronics Felix ???)
- Sequential Switch ( Erica Synths / Doepfer / ???? )
- Dual Oscillator ( Piston Honda MK3 / E352 / Instruo CS-L / ????)
- Frequency Divider / Sub octave Generator / Clock Divider ( Frap Tool Falistri / Tiptop Fold Processor / Argos Bleak / Doepfer )
- Filter ( Analog Planet / Bionic Lester MK3 or MK1 / Doepfer Wasp / IME Polivoks VCF / Bastl - Cinnamon / MMG / Doepfer SEM 12db / SSF Stereo DIpole / Rossum - Morpheus . . . . )

Im having a hard time understanding how ratcheting can be achieved precisely and simply ( I Mod Tempi Channels ( Random Spurts ) or Use Rene / Tempi States to Achieve this with careful clocking / Reset use but Geez Really

I still don't understand the Logic Thing ( Maybe like the OR on Maths But i don't understand it at all yet and definitely can't weigh its functionability) There was a post about it gotta read it again
XOR
XAND
OR
AND
Is there other thing related to logic other than this system of addition / subtraction / emphasis The Little i understood of the concept

Thanks A Lot Everyone

I Guess the Search for utilities Never really ends
:doh:
Really enjoy the research as well

[size=18]Cheers[/size]

My Updated Set-Up
gentle_attack
There are a lot of ways to do ratcheting but I would say the mod input on Tempi is the easiest way to do it with what you have.

Another idea: Maths in cycle mode, with Rene controlling the "both" to get different ratchet speeds, possibly ran through Moddemix that is a VCA for the cycling Maths, that you'd open up with an envelope so you get a specific amount of repeats... With all due respect if you actually have these modules start playing with them, familiarity and creativity will trump buying more modules in the long run.

If you do decide to buy a Sequential Switch, one with some VC control like the Pico SEQS is a very easy way to do controlled ratchting with Tempi, and will be more in time than the Maths example I gave. Just wire up the outputs of Tempi to the 4 of the SEQS, then use CV or gates to move around the selector and have that fire off whatever you want ratcheted. Nice and easy.
PietroC
[quote="gentle_attack"]There are a lot of ways to do ratcheting but I would say the mod input on Tempi is the easiest way to do it with what you have.

Another idea: Maths in cycle mode, with Rene controlling the "both" to get different ratchet speeds, possibly ran through Moddemix that is a VCA for the cycling Maths, that you'd open up with an envelope so you get a specific amount of repeats... With all due respect if you actually have these modules start playing with them, familiarity and creativity will trump buying more modules in the long run.

If you do decide to buy a Sequential Switch, one with some VC control like the Pico SEQS is a very easy way to do controlled ratchting with Tempi, and will be more in time than the Maths example I gave. Just wire up the outputs of Tempi to the 4 of the SEQS, then use CV or gates to move around the selector and have that fire off whatever you want ratcheted. Nice and easy.[/quote]

Thanks Very Much
I Will Try this out
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1