MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Future Retro Trax sequencer
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Future Retro Trax sequencer
Paranormal Patroler
Ok, I'm curious ...

The TRAX is a performance sequencer module designed to control the Transient line of products. This sequencer can also control various other modules in your modular system, as well as other analog and MIDI sound modules.

What appears to be a rather simple looking module on the outside, is actually a bangin' powerhouse of features and functions just waiting to be discovered. This module manages to combine the best elements of classic sequencers mixed with some amazing new features, offering a wide range of possibilites from traditional to the more experimental algorithmic type sequencing.

While most sequencers allow you to store patterns and then simply select the order they play back, the TRAX will not store any sequences in memory. Instead the TRAX provides quick ways to enter new music data and alter that data on the fly. We want to encourage you to discover new results with each and every performance.

Parameter editing is designed in an intuitive fashion, often allowing you to perform parameter changes in very musical ways.

TRAX provides all the functions you would expect to find larger sequencers such as Tap Tempo, Time Signatures, Swing, Mute, Fills, Scales and much more. Playback can be controlled using the internal clock, external analog clock, or even MIDI clock.

TRAX provides independent Rhythm, CV1, and CV2 parts. Each part provides A/B patterns (up to 16 steps each), that can be played in various directions, and manipulated in unique ways using the built in Remix, Evolve, and Phi features. Each part also provides three independent loop points for total control.

For those wanting a more traditional sequencing solution the Links feature allows CV1 and CV2 part parameters to be linked to the Rhythm part. In fact you can link any combination of CV parameters to the Rhythm for complete flexability, and new ways of jumping between different parameter values.

With unique new features like Evolve, once you enter a pattern or two, the TRAX is able to compare the patterns and generate numerous related patterns instantly for you to access. In addition, the Remix feature will provide 256 variations of each pattern entered. Need more inspiration? A part can also be filled with Randomized data.

While patterns are playing you can edit, overwrite, copy and paste, or add various fills all in real-time.

TRAX can be used by itself, or with the expanded MIDI capabilities that the MIDI BUS provides. Want more? It’s easy to expand your system to include multiple TRAX using our Flying Bus power cable.

Quite simply, the TRAX is capable of generating a very large amount of new output control with very little input from the user. It’s a performers dream, and sure to introduce some excitement into your tracks.

[url=http://www.future-retro.com/products.html#!/TRAX-Sequencer/p/1360 54851/category=0]Future Retor Trax! Sequencer site[/url]
Koryo
I don't even know how this thing works. Ordered hearing unheard.
xthrasherx
interesting... been looking for another sequencer for additional melodies in a relatively small footprint. Looks like a good potential candidate.
mdoudoroff
It’s certainly intriguing. There’s a lengthy walkthrough video on their Facebook page.
Koryo
mdoudoroff wrote:
It’s certainly intriguing. There’s a lengthy walkthrough video on their Facebook page.

Phew!

I was worried it was only good for rhythm sequences after reading the manual.

My primary sequencer is MIDI based so this fits in perfectly.

I was hoping to use this primarily as a modulation source. Hot damn! It can do that and a lot more.

Random, evolve, phi, A/B, scales, fills, with the ability to undo... That's just rad. Wish there was a CV in however. I'm sure I'll buy these again when the TRAX+ comes out.

Many will moan about not being able to save sequences. Me though, that's how I roll. When the power goes off, it makes for a fresh start next time.

I use the Transient+, and that is some very well behaved units he's got in that demo.

...and fuck Facebook.
kay_k
yeah, why facebook?

I also asked myself, how do you make this UI intuitive? I am quite intrigued
Koryo
First patch report.

Does what it says on the tin. Got two with the MIDI Bus module. Made a custom bus cable. One is set up for external clock, the other outputs the MIDI clock. Floppin' rad!
Paranormal Patroler
How's the UI on these?
JosefK
it's very intuitive and well thought out. Yes it is a little screen but you can fly around it easy. Honestly thinking of getting a couple more. The evolve and remix features are really cool. I could also see using this for basic sequencing pitch to oscillators.
Hi5
If it is even half as nice as the Transient I'll be owning several of them as well. Seems fairly easy to navigate from the video. I was concerned with the Transient at first but navigation is simple and becomes second nature quickly
Zymos
For me, Transient is tolerable because it has presets. If I had to do all the scrolling and clicking each time, I'd get frustrated quickly.
Koryo
JosefK wrote:
it's very intuitive and well thought out. Yes it is a little screen but you can fly around it easy...

Yeah, what he said. You can really fly around in it. The Plus/Minus buttons are essentially forward/back or enter/undo. The little quarter notes on the step screen are adorable.

The only thing that is a bit slow is if you had a stupid fast or an absurdly slow sequence. AFAIK, triggers or CVs may only be inputted when that step is active. A workaround would be to patch a manual trigger into the trigger in and cycle through, step-by-step.

A slight downer for me is that the minimum note division is based on the root clock rate. That is to say, no multipliers. For example, 16th notes on the clock in, 16th note fills is the fastest on the trigger out. So you would have to multiply the clock in your system before going in, If you are clocking with MIDI, you are just out of luck.
Endosine
From looking at the panel and the tiny bit of info in this thread so far, it looks like there is no reset input? That seems like it could be an issue. That said, I've been looking forward to having a sequencer in Eurorack with the FR Revolution remix feature.
Koryo
Endosine wrote:
...like there is no reset input?

There is a reset. The clock and trig can be ins or outs and function selected. Oh, and they are TRS.
Endosine
Koryo wrote:
Endosine wrote:
...like there is no reset input?

There is a reset. The clock and trig can be ins or outs and function selected. Oh, and they are TRS.

Ah, good to know, Thanks!
franman69
Whoa... looks like a very cool companion to Transient for sure...
matttech
I know it doesn’t save its sequences on powering down, but I’m presuming it saves all its global settings etc?
jzwoopwoop
matttech wrote:
I know it doesn’t save its sequences on powering down, but I’m presuming it saves all its global settings etc?

Wtf. You've gotta be kidding me. That seems like a massive oversight, no?
mdoudoroff
Not saving the sequence on power down is part of the point of the module.

A better demo video is desperately needed.
jzwoopwoop
mdoudoroff wrote:

A better demo video is desperately needed.

Conceptually / theoretically, I can get it. In practice, it still seems short sighted. But yes, perhaps a good demo would help me bridge that gap.
JosefK
yeah it's the whole point. This is a live oriented module. The saving does not seem like a big deal. Even if it was saved, you would mangle the f out of it messing around.

However there is a weird convoluted way using the midi bus expander to record midi into a daw, then put your game down flip it and reverse it - will act as a midi-cv convertor. Haven't done this yet.
Koryo
jzwoopwoop wrote:
mdoudoroff wrote:

...I can get it. In practice, it still seems short sighted.

Not wishing to be the spokesperson, but the module is not that complicated really. I need to correct my previous statement. The Trigger is TS and out only. The Clock is TRS, bidirectional, reset in/out, clock in/out.

About the global settings. The global settings title is a misnomer IMO. These are settings that are really only pertinent to a track or session, and thus are not saved. time signature, loop length, key, and so-forth. Super simple to set. What I would call the true global settings or module settings are set with the jumpers on on the back.
Virusinstaller
I totally like this as a live module. Especially performing, it's great to be able to prepare a set, but also to improvise parts to make the set more interactive.
ludotex
ludotex
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2