MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Pamelas New Workout VS Silent Way plugins.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Pamelas New Workout VS Silent Way plugins.
Ted Krotkiewski
Hi friends.

I am about to buy a Pamelas new workout, to have it sync my DAW perfectly with my eurorack as well as bursting out some interesting gates.

However, I just realzied, already having an ES-8 by expert sleepers and running their plugins "Silent way" might do the trick?

Anyone using Silent way plugins for clocking/gating your eurorack but also bought a Pamelas New Workout and felt that the Pam was not necessary?

Please help me with your thoughts.
I do not own the Silent way plugins, So I am not completely familiar with it. I did read that in terms of clocking it wasnt very stable.

Thank you for your time.
//Ted
This is fun!
Joey P.
Can't speak for Silent Ways, but I use Expert Sleepers USAMO with it's dedicated plugin and it is dead on sample accurate. That said, it took some time to set up correctly and you have to set up your offset to get the DAW grid to line up, so I can't say that it is plug n' play.
Plumbstone
Yep, I use PNW and silent way. Before I got pams I would just send audio clock and reset pulses out of 2 outs of the ES8 and mult them around the system but didn't find it very flexible to be honest - especially if you like a bit of swing to your groove.

Now with PAMs I use the Silent Way sync plug-in to send out 24ppqn and a run signal out of the ES8 to PNW and use each out of PAMs with different divisions/swing etc as well as all the LFO and euclidean business too. I still send a main clock around with a mult but now from PAMs rather than from the ES8 which leaves the other 6 outs from PNW free for other duties.

I find it a super tight and flexible way to send whatever clock or resets I want around the rack.
bodo
Yeah, same here, both the ES-3 and PW v1, mind.

If anything the clock from Silent Way is very stable (as stable as your DAW performes, that is) and Pamela follows nicely.

In addition to the eight clocks from Pamela, and also a Temps Utile, which also follows the Silent Way 24ppqn clock and 'run' output.

Works like a charm, although I found the TU to be slightly off sometimes.
BlackDoors
I’ve got both, in fact they are an amazing combination, but if you have a very small system then it might be overkill to have both.

In fact I loved my PNW so much, I got a second one.

... I still kept silentway, es-8 and the gate expander. So much flexibility for clocks, triggers, and LFOs.
Joey P.
Is there something different about PNW over a Tempi as far as workflow? You're just slaving PNW to a clock pulse and using as a clock divider? I have a Tempi and it doesn't always play nice when slaved to my Octotrack (MIDI out to an Intellijel uMIDI for clock signal) or to USAMO, so I assume it's the Tempi that may be a little wonky.
Plumbstone
Joey P. wrote:
Is there something different about PNW over a Tempi as far as workflow? You're just slaving PNW to a clock pulse and using as a clock divider? I have a Tempi and it doesn't always play nice when slaved to my Octotrack (MIDI out to an Intellijel uMIDI for clock signal) or to USAMO, so I assume it's the Tempi that may be a little wonky.

I used to use the Tempi for these duties but to be honest find Pams much more useable. Not only was the Tempi a bit more temperamental and used to drift or drop out alot but I like to have a bit of swing which Pams can handle no problem - to do the same on Tempi is a nightmare and uses up half of your 6 outs. Also using the euclidean mode to clock sequencers can lead to some great results. The only thing you cant do on pams is tap in a quick clock division/multiplication. And of course one's retinas are still intact.
esquilofreniko
I've had the PNW and my only problem with it was that, when syncing to an external clock, there was a limit to how fast/slow the clock could be (i think it was between 20BPM and 300BPM). That was a usually a problem when wanting to use a modulated clock (since when it was higher than 300BPM pamela would keep it at 300BPM).
BlackDoors
The main advantages tempi has are state (preset) selection by CV, Rene 2 bus select integration, and the ability to easily mute individual outputs easily on the fly via the push button.

Pams has 2 more outputs, optional midi clock/din out expanders, lfos, Euclidean, and less eye-scorch.

Both very nice!
Joey P.
Thanks for the info....

After doing some measurement from the Mordax DATA, I am finding that my Octatrack is the main culprit here. Jitter is upwards of .25 BPM into my uMIDI. MIDIMAN 2x2 and uMIDI USB are both .12 BPM. USAMO is 0, as expected.

So the plan to sync Ocatrack to USAMO, then output to uMIDI into Tempi is kind of pointless. I ordered a merge box, and will merge USAMO clock with with the Octatrack note output. Hope that will help.
Ted Krotkiewski
Thanks a lot for all of your input.
I love this place!

PNW is on its way. =)
love
HarryAdams
Do you run two instances of the SW Sync, one for the clock and one for the run? The thing that's confusing me is what output1 and output2 is referring to in the plugin - are those referring to physical outs if you have one of the hardware options selected (ES8 is not one of those)?

I've also read people are able to sync PNW with just a clock input and not run but I'm not having any luck there. Good to see others have it working anyway.
Catflap
Ted Krotkiewski wrote:

Anyone using Silent way plugins for clocking/gating your eurorack but also bought a Pamelas New Workout and felt that the Pam was not necessary?

Cant comment on Silent way but am using Blocks through ES-3 to clock system.
No longer using PNW as master clock and do not find it redundant at all.
8 LFOS/S&H/etc in 8 HP is (imo) too useful to pass by.
Joey P.
HarryAdams wrote:
Do you run two instances of the SW Sync, one for the clock and one for the run? The thing that's confusing me is what output1 and output2 is referring to in the plugin - are those referring to physical outs if you have one of the hardware options selected (ES8 is not one of those)?

I've also read people are able to sync PNW with just a clock input and not run but I'm not having any luck there. Good to see others have it working anyway.

What module do you want to output the clock? To output out run/clock out of the ES-5, I use the ES-5 controller plugin, which has run/clock assignments.

I don't use the sync plugin, but there would be no "ES-8" HW option, because the ES-8 is simply an audio interface. To output to ES-8 outputs, you would create a dedicated track in your DAW with the sync plugin with the ES-8 channel as your destination. A stereo track may facilitate sending both run and clock signals.
Joey P.
double post
denoise
I have both.

- PMW is amazing for tempo synchronized LFOs
- ES-3 a lot of potential, but be aware of possible latency issues (there is some ms delay from the DAW -> drivers -> interface -> ES-3 you probably have to compensate)
zengomi
denoise wrote:
I have both.
- ES-3 a lot of potential, but be aware of possible latency issues (there is some ms delay from the DAW -> drivers -> interface -> ES-3 you probably have to compensate)

Would you elaborate on latency issues? You said 'possible', not 'definite'.

What computer platform, DAW, and interface are you using (or can speak about)?

Thanks
Joey P.
zengomi wrote:
denoise wrote:
I have both.

Thanks

If the DAW has properly implemented latency compensation, any CV generated via a plugin (clock), or played back from the DAW (gates/CV) should not have latency.
zengomi
Joey P. wrote:
zengomi wrote:
denoise wrote:
I have both.

Thanks

If the DAW has properly implemented latency compensation, any CV generated via a plugin (clock), or played back from the DAW (gates/CV) should not have latency.

OK. Care to name names?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1