MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Samplers & Modular
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Samplers & Modular
tenembre
What are your workflows with samplers and modular?

How has it contributed to your music?

I have a hard time coming up with tunes on the modular; it's all endless space jamming and science experiments, with very little concrete result. Some are comfortable with that, but I'm not. Can a sampler make a modular setup more useful for structured tunes?
whyfarer
i'm interested in reading about about samplers and modulars... maybe interested enough to talk about it as well
JohnLRice
You mean like modules that are samplers? Or hardware rack/keyboard samplers that are used along with a modular? I have all dem things! w00t
hw408
I recently got my favorite old hardware sampler restored and working alongside my modular, free of DAW. It used to be the centerpiece of my DAW projects long ago before euro.

Sampler has LFOs you can assign to modulate each other LFOs rates and depth. Interesting feature i never paid attention to.
Filters / resonance paled in comparison to uVCF, fun-wise.
The static nature of samples in general was odd after modular, where everything can be dynamic.
I found a synth hit I liked and held the note but the sample ended after 2 seconds, and didnt lend itself to looping.
I found some sentimental-value voice samples and riffs recorded with friends ages ago, and bits from movies.

After fiddling around, i got a weird hats type rhythm going from gong samples at different pitches, which I could maybe have done with a module, but probably would not have wanted to waste on a single rhythm item. It added some variety to my same-drum machine every jam sound. Hope I use it going forward.

Thats all I got. Still love sampler.
PapaLazarou
Radio Music is absurdly muffled. Anyone got any tips? Boost w Mikrophonie doesn't do much
sduck
tenembre wrote:
Not much point to posting questions no one wants to answer.

Carry on.

Impatient, eh? Consider editing back in your original question.
Virusinstaller
I build a 104HP case around Er-301, Bitbox & Assiml8or and its mental
MindMachine
I sample my modular and process my samplers (SP-303, SP 404SX, SK-1's, EH 2880 Looper, EH 360 Nanolooper) through modular.

My modular even has samplers: Geiskes Voice Recorder 2 and Noise Reap ISD Sampler.
fuzzylogic
I've been sampling modular gear through the synthstrom deluge and it's working really great so far - nice to be able to sequence and affect things from the same unit
naturligfunktion
I have been looking for a nice sampler for quite some time now. Is there any suggestions?

Something that is not digitakt smile
Keltie
1010 bitbox here. Use case is old movie dialogue, either straight through or into rings, clouds, WHY. Also good for capturing drones, or complicated to patch sounds that tie up modules I want to re-use for live. Extra drums in a pinch. Can play chords up to 4 note poly via the midi in. Recommend.

Not everyone’s cup of tea, and not “strictly modular” in some ways, but an essential part of my rack.

As an aside, anyone looking for old hardware samplers for general use should look at the emu ultras, especially expanded ones. They got all of the emu filters, lots of modulation and can host the proteus roms. Ultimate rompler.
robduarte
Some of Disting's million algorithms let you play samples, record samples, shift pitch/speed with CV, etc. Plus you got the other ~9,999,995 algorithms.

r
knifey
Been using an ADDAC101 since the beginning of my modular journey for playing back snippets of pop, field samples, recordongs of my own flute practices. Also tried out quirky things like the Doepfer A-112, Sampleslicer.

For live sampling, I use the Timefactor. Had an SP-404 at one point and really liked it, super quick for sampling bits of modular noise and generating sequences and patterns out of them. I even asked the guy I sold my 404 to to send me back the samples I had on it. The workflow of specific hardware really affects what/how you capture and what you do with it.

I never really got into the newer Euro samplers for some reason, maybe because I'm so attached to my Timefactor - there's always something missing in a module that I already have in the TF, which at this point I can kind of play and perform with like an instrument. BUT, the new Intruo sampler/granular processor that just got announced at Superbooth actually has me very interested.
tenembre
sduck wrote:
tenembre wrote:

Carry on.

Not impatient. Depressed.
whyfarer
tenembre wrote:
sduck wrote:
tenembre wrote:

Carry on.

Not impatient. Depressed.

Sorry to hear, but it seems like people are interested in engaging with you if you're up for it. I'm still curious to know what your original question/post was about.
forestcaver
For recording sound design ideas (and for polyphony) I use autosampler in MainStage (can do automatic round robin sampling) and then convert to Kontakt
sackley
I've been meaning to try recording my wanderings and using Renoise or some iOS apps to "compose" a more structured piece. But, I'm also happy to just let them wander into the ether.

Thanks for the topic, I'm interested. Be well.
suboptimal
After watching Cukoo's videos on Youtube about setting up the Octatrack as a looper I'm convinced that the OT is worth the time investment as a modular sidekick.
Buttons ARE toys
tenembre wrote:
Can a sampler make a modular setup more useful for structured tunes?

Absolutely it can.

Bouncing things between modular and samplers is my go-to process and there are a lot of things you can accomplish this way.

One pretty obvious use is creating sample sets with the modular. You can create all flavors and variety of percussion and fill you sampler up with them for making beats. But I'll also use this to create multisample libraries of tonal synth patches, too. Just come up with a patch you like on the modular, record a few seconds of it playing all the different pitches you want, and load those up into a sampler so you can play that patch any time you want it. I love the TAL-Sampler VST for turning monophonic synth samples into polyphonic stuff (but most DAW's should have a built in option for this as well), and I use my Digitakt most of the time for monophonic stuff since it's really easy to set up multisample instruments with.

If you have a patch going that's more of a complete composition on its own with rhythms and melodies all happening together, just start recording a few bars worth of sound and tweak little things each time around. Mute different parts of the patch and record it again, or change up the sequence a bit, and just collect a bunch of snapshots with no real structure in mind. Then just sit down with your sampler and start cutting and pasting the different parts together and you'll be surprised with what comes out--it's a very fun and inspiring workflow.

I also use the modular for effecting and resampling stuff that's already in the sampler.

If you're interested in it, just try out a free sampling VST and see what you can come up with.
3lbFlax
suboptimal wrote:
After watching Cukoo's videos on Youtube about setting up the Octatrack as a looper I'm convinced that the OT is worth the time investment as a modular sidekick.

For sure! Get something to sync them and the OT is an incredible modular partner. Sampling on the fly and in time, and immediately feeding the samples into the OT's network of pattern tools and effects is great fun, especially since they added the probabilistic trig features. Sampling live is a great addition to modular synthesis because it complements the unpredictable, evolving and rarely static nature of much modular sound. Also a good way to capture sounds on a whim, if you don't want to simply record everything that comes out of your rack - just have the OT constantly recording on a four bar loop or whatever, so you can grab a nice sequence when it happens and not have to sift through a three hour recording later on.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1