MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Any DSI Mopho users...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Any DSI Mopho users...
MindMachine
I am thinking that maybe I should populate my studio with one or three more mono synths. I am leading toward vintage, but I heard this thing at Noisebug the other day and it blew my mind!!! eek!

Can you Mopho owners weigh in? This is fun!
mr big
i have the tetra.

it's pretty deep. but it hasn't really inspired me much. the interface just sucks for me. i've enjoyed my dark energy more. now vermona has a two oscillator desk top out. and macbeth has a three oscillator in the works. i'd check those out before i made a decision.
amsonx
I've got the mopho one year ago and for me was a great buy, great sound and really flexible imho.
only complains is that dont have any Cv control..
newgreyarea
I have the key version and I love it. Use it every day! I'm on a hardware kick right now. This thing can get super smooth and get crazy noisy . . . sometimes in the same patch. I would definitely get the Key version over the others as menu editing is a drag in any synth IMHO.
I'll buy a Tetra to expand before the end of the year.

@Mr. Big - Let me know when you are ready to get rid of that terrible box!! hihi
If I can afford it, I just might scoop it up!
-b
mr big
newgreyarea wrote:

@Mr. Big - Let me know when you are ready to get rid of that terrible box!! hihi
If I can afford it, I just might scoop it up!
-b

better yet i'll buy your mopho keyboard! Rockin' Banana!

i'm with you. menu diving sucks.
computer controlled
The Mopho is a great synth, one of my all time faves! Along with the Evolver. The Mopho really is a modern Pro-One. I got the module the week they first came out. Only sold that and the Evolver to get my modular up and running. I want them back again, but i'd get the Mopho kbd over the module now.
Klopfgeist
I had a Mopho (desktop), but ended up selling it. It sounds nice, but the interface really sucks and I would just give up trying to program sounds from the front panel, and the software editor defeats the purpose of having hardware. The keyboard version is cool though and totally worth it. If you can spring for it, though, check out the Mono Evolver. It pretty much can cover all of the Mopho areas and then adds on the awesome destructive power of digital waveables, flexible external processing, and feedback and distortion.
newgreyarea
I'm definitely gonna upgrade and add a Tetra. Seems cumbersome as I have to mix the signals separately. Wish there was an internal upgrade instead!
authorless
I have the desktop version, never really clicked with it. I would suggest going with the keyboard version as it looks like it would be much more fun.
insomniyack
I have the MoPho and the Tetra and love them both...so much analog goodness at such a good price!! They both sound amazing if you can get around the tedious programming...not that bad though!!
amsonx
insomniyack wrote:
I have the MoPho and the Tetra and love them both...so much analog goodness at such a good price!! They both sound amazing if you can get around the tedious programming...not that bad though!!

i've used the mopho editor pro version (on mac ) with some minor problems and i dont like it much but i really like the mopho's sound.

If you have a BCR 2000 here http://www.sendspace.com/file/ladsl7 there is a preset for the mopho. (i've grab it from gearlustz forum)
gmcerveny
I bought a mopho desktop in January.  The sound is very clean and smith-y.  The initial release had an issue with the stereo output favoring one channel.  The fix from DSI was a new global param for balance.  Special edition knobs are a must to replace the default curved plastic.  It is nice to have 8 knobs to tweak a preset, but deep sound shaping or preset creation requires menu diving or software.  

I got the mopho keyboard a month ago.  The sound is the same.  They've replaced the knobs with a nice rubberized plastic and replaced the appropriate encoders with potentiometers.  Editing is much easier, but you are missing the full layout for the sequencer.  Unlike the desktop, you can turn off local control.  The keyboard also features a routable pedal/cv in.

The instrument itself is very small.  The wood ends and body feel quality.  The keys are light, the wheels are plastic, and the buttons have a tendency to lean one way or the other.  

Unlike the evolver rack series, there are no inputs for polychain.  If you are going to use a mopho desktop for 2 voice, or tetra for 5 voice, you have to mix those signals externally.  Which  kills the flow on my cheap mackie mixer.  

Buy a mopho keyboard for the dave smith sound
Buy a p08pe or tetra for the polyphony
Buy a mopho desktop for multiple patches/lines without mulitracking
But don't buy anything for poly chain because who really wants to adjust multiple stereo channels to make sure all notes are at the same level.
newgreyarea
gmcerveny wrote:

But don't buy anything for poly chain because who really wants to adjust multiple stereo channels to make sure all notes are at the same level.

Yep, seems weird for such an otherwise well thought out design.
I might make some sort of master fader for it. Like a small sub mixer.
seychmar
One thing I like about the Tetra are the separate outs for each of the 4 voices. Makes integration with a modular dead easy. I sometimes skip my analog VCOs completely and just feed the Tetra DCOs direct into my filters as a sound source.
mc
I got the desktop, liked it. I then got the keyboard model, loved it. Programming is fun again.
Synesthesia
I saw the demo of the keyboard model, waow quite impressed . the arpegiator seems really nice.
MindMachine
Yeah - I was thinking keyboard version all the way.

Why bright ass yellow though? d'oh! I like wacky, but more like Fizmo blue/purple wacky. Fuck... now I said 'Fizmo'. My lust deepens...

Mopho and Fizmo. Mr. Green Sounds like a team right there! Actually that would be a killer combo! w00t

Thanks for all of the confirmations. Mopho is in the running for sure.
ping panic
Routing tetra outs to modular filters mmmm nice...
syzygywell
MindMachine wrote:
I am thinking that maybe I should populate my studio with one or three more mono synths. I am leading toward vintage, but I heard this thing at Noisebug the other day and it blew my mind!!! eek!

Can you Mopho owners weigh in? This is fun!

hahaha one or THREE... that was great, a true jump in numbers. Get 3. You can never have to much Mono El Mono.

If you love the sound then I think you can't go wrong with the kb version. plus its small, although I agree the colors are whack. I would almost be tempted to ship mine to that guy who stylizes synths and get it painted a different color.
Fnord
The mopho ate my headphone adapter. It has been sitting on my desk in the PLACE OF SHAME ever since. It's fun and easy to program, but I like the sound of some of my other monosynths a lot better. (pro one)
theparegorickid
i don't think there has been a better boing for your buck. I eventually sold mine and bought the tetra, but you just can't beat the price and they sound great.
16osc
the newer sequencer features on the keyboard version will really be nice on the desktop. i don't think they are added yet though.
newgreyarea
Did they update the OS on the keyboard? What are the new features?
allblackpyramids
I have the desktop . Sounds awesome and very versatile . Editing it isn't to difficult and the software editor key upgrade has some pretty fantastic capabilities . between this and my SH101 i feel i got my mono bass and leads covered . If you can afford to , Mopho with keyboard all the way .
1986Bowler
I love my Mopho. Unlike some, I do think the different colour (anything other than black) is a good thing. I definitely find it inspiring to use.

Add in the Tetr4 and you've got yourself a whole lot of fun in a compact package!

But even without the Tetr4, it's still worth it.

EDIT: I'd left the Mopho idle for a little while. Never had any issues. I powered it up today, and all of a sudden, every second keypress is ignored. I figured I must have a setting wrong or something. Sent an email to DSI support to try to figure out what's up. Was hoping it was just the keybed and a cable reseat. Troubleshooting- sent MIDI in via external keys- same result.

Anyone else experienced this? Very strange.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1