MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Source of uncertainty for a first West Coast-ish modular
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Source of uncertainty for a first West Coast-ish modular
franckdw
Hi! I had the crazy idea to put together a small modular setup (my first one) and decided to go for a West Coast-ish system as I already have a Roland SE-02, an Elektron Digitakt and quite enjoyed Ripplemaker on the iPad. I almost bought a 0-Coast but decided it would be even more fun to go "real" modular.
I have bought a few modules and should receive the case tomorrow.

Before getting a sequencer, I would like a source of uncertainty. I am considering the Make Noise Wogglebug or the Mutable Instruments Marbles. I played with the Marbles on VCV Rack but have no experience with the Wogglebug.

What would you recommend? Thanks!

sduck
A wogglebug is an obvious choice, and pretty indispensible. I also like the SSF Ultra-Random Analog.
Skilling
Wogglebug, without a doubt.
franckdw
Thanks - Also looking into the SSF Ultra-Random Analog then!
hlprmnky
I know of VCV rack and have use it a little but I don’t know enough about it to be sure, however it seems to me that you might be able to leverage VCV Rack and your uMIDI to see what you think of Marbles virtually?
You definitely want a Wogglebug, though, whether you eventually decide you also want other random sources or not.
memes_33
no really the same thing, but turing machine has a lot of controlled randomness features that you may find useful
electricanada
Doepfer A149-1 and 149-2 is less expensive than Wogglebug.
lisa
Marbles does quite a lot that the Wogglebug doesn’t and vice versa. I mean, you won’t get quantized melody CV from the latter for instance. Do you want quantized melodies?
smithjohn
Nonlinearcircuits has a Buchla SoU-based module, and a wide range of chaos modules too:
http://nonlinearcircuits.blogspot.com/2014/07/sauce-of-unce-in-eurorac k.html?m=1

The Erica synths DIY Wogglebug is also cool if you can find one used, I have 2 of them hihi
natureclubcassettes
electricanada wrote:
Doepfer A149-1 and 149-2 is less expensive than Wogglebug.

you can never have too much random. i would get wogglebug first and then expand to this plus a 118 for bipolar random voltages. have fun!
Skilling
This is also super cheap and intriguing. Looks really great.

http://ladik.ladik.eu/?page_id=1709
franckdw
lisa wrote:
Do you want quantized melodies?

I think I do, I like this aspect of Marbles and the « Déjà vu » knob.
franckdw
Skilling wrote:
This is also super cheap and intriguing. Looks really great.

http://ladik.ladik.eu/?page_id=1709

This looks fun indeed!
franckdw
Thanks for the feedback and ideas! Will explore a little further and decide.
MarcelP
Shouldn’t the source of uncertainty be decided on the toss of a coin or roll of a dice?

Wogglebug has been a consistent source of uncertain fun for me.
Bignorthumbrian
What about the Ladik R-110 and R-120.
franckdw
MarcelP wrote:
Shouldn’t the source of uncertainty be decided on the toss of a coin or roll of a dice?

smile ! How come this was not obvious to me!
brandonlogic
Check out Frap Tools - Sapel if you really want to go all out!
esquilofreniko
Just going to leave this here :p
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SrjBu-AlUY
brandonlogic
esquilofreniko wrote:
Just going to leave this here :p
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SrjBu-AlUY

what does Iteritas have to do with random?
Zerstorte Zelle
also given your system choice thus far.... wogglebug. make noise is a great company and by far make some of my favorites in my case.
Jumbuktu
For a small system, Wogglebug makes sense, especially as it has its own clock.

I have to say I rarely use mine. I find it hard to get the clock slow enough with enough variation to make the output useful. Also, even though there are mutliple outs, they are all clocked from the same source, so they are in sync.

I prefer the Doepfer A149. The different sections produce quite different results, and they can be clocked separately. The Doepfer A147 VCLFO and the A149 patched together are a generative source on their own.

If it was still in production, the Sputnik West Coast Random Source would be another one to consider - multiple separate sources of uncertainty. If I could find one used I would buy it myself.

So, despite my personal lack of endorsement for the Wogglebug, it probably still makes sense to get one.
chaosick
franckdw wrote:
Hi! I had the crazy idea to put together a small modular setup (my first one) and decided to go for a West Coast-ish system as I already have a Roland SE-02, an Elektron Digitakt and quite enjoyed Ripplemaker on the iPad. I almost bought a 0-Coast but decided it would be even more fun to go "real" modular.
I have bought a few modules and should receive the case tomorrow.

Before getting a sequencer, I would like a source of uncertainty. I am considering the Make Noise Wogglebug or the Mutable Instruments Marbles. I played with the Marbles on VCV Rack but have no experience with the Wogglebug.

What would you recommend? Thanks!

Sapel is by far the best random IMO.
rustedimac
Sapel would be a great choice if you have deep knowledge/experience of synths and random as it gives you multitude of options no other random sources give. The downside other than its size is that it requires you to fully understand how the module works before making something that makes sense out of it.

However if you want more concise random module that you can start playing right out of the box, wogglebug is an obvious choice. Also it is about 1/2 of a price of Sapel.
hermbot
Yet another vote for the Wogglebug - in a relatively small footprint it adds so much to a system. It's integral to almost every patch I make.

The often overlooked audio outputs can be used to great effect!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2