MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

beginner system under 1000 euros?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author beginner system under 1000 euros?
odditymedium
my friend is very proficient in electronics, pd, max, and music knowledge

he wants to get into modulars, and has a budget of 1000 euros. what beginner system should he get?

he wants to have:

- cv/midi control - both in and out
- nice sound

diy is not a problem

i suggested:

- doepfer system
- 0-coast
- teenage engineering system?
- nozoid?

any other system i'm not thinking of?
hamildad
Kilpatrick Phenol?

very well specced for a beginner system, nice sound and It's peanut butter jelly time!
cptnal
How about a HEK and a few Befako kits to create a monosynth voice?
Just another rookie
Why just one brand “system”
Maybe I’m confused here but it seems to suggest one name only?

If you went 100% diy.
You’ll get a lot of kits for a grand!

Think thonk......
Feedback modules
Exploding shed
Pusherman.....
And on it goes!
Agawell
does he already have a audio interface? if so is it dc coupled (RME) or does it have ADAT or midi?

if it has either of the first 2 I would go cv i/o from computer and drop midi (for now)

if it has midi but not adat or dc coupling then ignore the cv i/o (again, for now)

for cv i/o either use built in (dc coupled) or if ADAT get Expert sleepers modules - warning this will blow most of the budget

if going midi then get a doepfer modules for midi i/o

after that a couple of pieces of wood and a psu from frequency central - total cost about 60€ including the wall wart and all components

and then possibly one of their Product modules as a starting point (vco/vca/vcf) + an lfo and another vca (dual or quad)

buy only pcb/panels not full kits to save money - order as many components as possible at the same time from the same supplier to save money (also round up quantities to hit price breaks - sometimes 10 resistors, for example, can be as cheap as 4)
electricanada
Depends on what sounds he wants to make. 1000 is not much money, but you could build a single-purpose machine on that budget--such as a complex drum voice, or an interesting guitar processor.
gis_sweden
Make Noise Function, Doepfer A-147-2 CVLFO, Doepfer A-148 Sample and hold, Doepfer A-110 VCO, Doepfer A-121-2 Filter, ALM Tangle Quartet VCA and mixer, 2hp Verb, Pittsburgh Modular Outs (Mk. II) Outmodule
Case not included.... But close to 1000 on modular grid. Much fun.
MikeDB
I'd play with VCV-Rack for a few weeks so he begins to understand what he really needs. Buying random hardware modules from a good supplier or otherwise won't necessarily give you the system you desire, whereas trying lots of virtual ones first probably will.
[url]
https://vcvrack.com/[/url]
gis_sweden
MikeDB wrote:
I'd play with VCV-Rack

VCV-Rack is great! w00t

I thought I had to do some quick "proof of concept" patches...
I did not use exactly the recommended modules d'oh! But almost...
I used Make Noise Function, Doepfer A-147-2 CVLFO, Doepfer A-148 Sample and hold, Doepfer A-110 VCO, Doepfer A-124 Filter, ALM Tangle Quartet VCA and mixer, Doepfer A-199 Spring reverb, Pittsburgh Modular Outs (Mk. II) Outmodule. Still under €1k on modulargrid. But my sounds are straight out of the synth. No MIDI. No external fx och editing. My sound is made to a little "mix tape" in Audacity.

https://freesound.org/people/gis_sweden/sounds/466607/
xylonsteve
I started with a Behringer Neutron and a disting and maths in a cardboard box. That gives you 2 oscillators, a crossfader, filter, 2 envelopes, distortion, delay, some VCAs, attenuators, LFO, midi to CV, noise, sample and hold, slew limiter just in the neutron which is about £250.
forrest
I love my 0-coast but honestly if I had more soldering experience I would have just gotten right into modules with Befaco:

    Lunch Box power supply - 92 €
    Even VCO - 149 €
    Rampage - 195 €
    Output V3 - 84 €
    Kickall - 140 €
    Burst - 130 €
    Muxlicer - 160 €
    Synthrotek Rails - 20 €

At ~ 970 € right there gives you: sequencer, vco, burst generator, drum/vco, output/headphones, envelope generator, envelope follower, lfo, clock modulator, clock generator, slew limiter..
adam_mcc
It depends a bit on what he wants to do musically...
I put together a small system about a year ago for something like e1500-2000, I wanted to do fairly straight forward subtractive synthesis with the possibility of creating a variety of relatively complex control signals generated using patches/scripts on the computer to generate midi information using markov chains and logic gates/switches etc.
I bought a bunch of modules second hand (doepfer: vca, lfo, mixer; mutable instruments:ripples; TipTop: z3000; intellijel: dixie II) and a couple of new ones (Expert Sleepers: ES-8, Disting mk4; Makenoise: maths). Combined these with Reaktor, Ableton and PureData to do the (midi/cv) sequencing I mentioned above.

If I was doing it all over again - I'd simply order an ES-8 and an Intellijel Atlantis! That would keep costs down to e1.114,-
UltraViolet
xylonsteve wrote:
I started with a Behringer Neutron and a disting and maths in a cardboard box. That gives you 2 oscillators, a crossfader, filter, 2 envelopes, distortion, delay, some VCAs, attenuators, LFO, midi to CV, noise, sample and hold, slew limiter just in the neutron which is about £250.


The Neutron is a great starting point. If the rest was DIY modules you could build quite a system for that money.
mem0ryM4gnet
Some of the MFB stuff is pretty good and cheap... I have a Megazwerg that i bought very cheap on ebay,and i really like the filter (12db state variable multimode), also the AHDSR envelope is very good, worlds better than the enveloopes on the older MFB synths, it can be fast and snappy...
Regarding eurorack modules i think the VCLFO, the filter and also the ADSR look interesting and good value for money!
seta666
I am building a small 6U 96HP system for myself too, still thinking in what too add.

I bought a behringer neutron and Moog DFAM both B-stock with 3 years warranty for 795€...

I also would try to get second hand modules, there is a big market. I just bought a maths V2 like new never used still under warranty for 220€..also think about DIY modules, some are easy to build
kinkujin
Agree with Seta above ... if your pal doesn't need to have new, they can save a bundle on buying gently used. I almost never buy anything new. Except swimwear.
Surface Noises
Good advice here I think. Having a DC coupled interface can save you a lot of money as you can provide envelopes, LFOs and pitch/gate from a computer without having to buy modules. Reaktor is getting really good as a CV controller too!


Agawell wrote:
does he already have a audio interface? if so is it dc coupled (RME) or does it have ADAT or midi?

if it has either of the first 2 I would go cv i/o from computer and drop midi (for now)

if it has midi but not adat or dc coupling then ignore the cv i/o (again, for now)

for cv i/o either use built in (dc coupled) or if ADAT get Expert sleepers modules - warning this will blow most of the budget

if going midi then get a doepfer modules for midi i/o

after that a couple of pieces of wood and a psu from frequency central - total cost about 60€ including the wall wart and all components

and then possibly one of their Product modules as a starting point (vco/vca/vcf) + an lfo and another vca (dual or quad)

buy only pcb/panels not full kits to save money - order as many components as possible at the same time from the same supplier to save money (also round up quantities to hit price breaks - sometimes 10 resistors, for example, can be as cheap as 4)
fuzzylogic
Some of the NonLinear Circuits modules are great and can be DIY'd for really cheap, especially cool considering they've got a few Buchla easel circuits made for Euro. But generally, I'd agree with a lot of the previous posts too - having a direction in mind for what you want to get out of your system is a good idea. Doesn't have to be a clear direction, just an idea to help you make sure the modules you buy play together nicely
naos
just show him this video


1112€ for the whole stuff on kickstarter
atte
AE modular seems like the perfect entry to modular, I’m considering getting some myself...

500 euro for the large starter system:
https://www.tangiblewaves.com/store/p54/AE_modular_STARTER_RACK_2.html
Hungryhorse
I’m also thinking about how to start a system. And wether to go with a semi modular first and add to it later.
My question is can you isolate the various functions on a semi modular like the O-Coast?
Say I’d want to access just the Contour or the Slope functions to use with a different module, can I do that? Or does the normaled nature of a semi modular voice prevent that?
Prunesquallor
Look at Frequency Central. An ideal starter kit would be their Product voice - a VCO and envelope cloned from the Roland 100m, coupled with a filter and VCA derived from the Moog Taurus. Cost £295 preassembled, or you can go DIY. You could easily add a few more of their modules and stay within budget.

ayruos
There's no real way to answer this question, depends a lot on the starting choices and the musical and/or interactions your friend is looking for.

If he's proficient in Pd and Max and wants CV/Midi in/out I'm guessing he wants to sequence from Pd/Max? If it's a good enough CV interface (ES-8?) he could also be doing function/AD/ASRs from Pd/Max itself. + LFOs too. So that only leaves a VCO in the modular realm and in that case, I'd suggest an analogue complex VCO, maybe a DPO or a Verbos Complex oscillator. These oscillators would give certain options that might not be that easy to do in Pd/Max.

But then again, maybe he wants to use Pd/Max as a signal processing unit. Granular sampling, mc patches, wavetable oscillators, etc and wants to feed CV in for sequencing/modulations from the modular system. In which case maybe an interesting sequencer like a Rene 2 and with it a Maths would be more suited.

So, then, what's the intended use for the modular system and what does he want to do in Pd/Max?
naos
atte wrote:
AE modular seems like the perfect entry to modular, I’m considering getting some myself...

500 euro for the large starter system:
https://www.tangiblewaves.com/store/p54/AE_modular_STARTER_RACK_2.html

Looks great but I'd make sure I have no problem getting stuck in the "jumper cables ecosystem" if I was you. There's plenty of interesting devices in that format but it has always pulled me off.
nouri_leiner
Hungryhorse wrote:
I’m also thinking about how to start a system. And wether to go with a semi modular first and add to it later.
My question is can you isolate the various functions on a semi modular like the O-Coast?
Say I’d want to access just the Contour or the Slope functions to use with a different module, can I do that? Or does the normaled nature of a semi modular voice prevent that?



I started with a semi modular (Pittsburgh SV1) most of the functions can be used independently. If you want to use the VCA or filter for an other module for ex. it's not a problem. Others like the glide function is internal as it only works with midi notes on this particular module.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group