MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

How do you open the Shuttle System?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author How do you open the Shuttle System?
Pelicashka
I mean literally. I finally managed to buy the Endorphin.es Shuttle System in black, but there seems to be something loose rattling inside. It sounds like a very tiny thing that just rolls whenever you tilt the system but it's a bit annoying.

So how do I open it? I tried unscrewing the 8 screws on the faceplate but it didn't help and the faceplate won't budge.

Should I just remove the side panels then? I don't want to screw (forgive the pun) anything up.
Jenseits
After unscrewing these 8 screws it should be possible to lift the whole "module" out of the case...

Unscrewing the side panels alone is probably not a good idea because there is a countering nut on the inside so it is either not possible to get it off and especially screw it back in afterwards without getting the top off...

Again: The whole panel shoud be treatable as one big module. Unscrew the 8 top screws and take it out. Probably it just sits a bit firm... I would grab the pots on the most left or right hand side to lift it (main volume pot knob cockpit / Symmetry knob on Furthrrrr)... With reasonable force of course...

i have a shuttle system with individual modules but the only difference is that yours is just one big faceplate and mine has 5 indivual faceplates (with more screws of course). Everything else is the same...

I would guess, what you are hearing rattle inside could be additional sliding nuts in the rail which are not used.
Pelicashka
Jenseits wrote:
After unscrewing these 8 screws it should be possible to lift the whole "module" out of the case...

Unscrewing the side panels alone is probably not a good idea because there is a countering nut on the inside so it is either not possible to get it off and especially screw it back in afterwards without getting the top off...

Again: The whole panel shoud be treatable as one big module. Unscrew the 8 top screws and take it out. Probably it just sits a bit firm... I would grab the pots on the most left or right hand side to lift it (main volume pot knob cockpit / Symmetry knob on Furthrrrr)... With reasonable force of course...

i have a shuttle system with individual modules but the only difference is that yours is just one big faceplate and mine has 5 indivual faceplates (with more screws of course). Everything else is the same...

I would guess, what you are hearing rattle inside could be additional sliding nuts in the rail which are not used.

Many thanks, Jenseits! I am absolutely new to modular, and the explanation that you provided is very helpful. I don't think it's an extra sliding nut. I seem to have identified and caught all 8 of them when I was screwing the 8 screws back and I don't think there were any more nuts sliding in there. I will try taking off the front panel again tonight.

I am glad that I didn't have a suitable hexagonal key to take the side panels off, lol.
Jenseits
You're welcome!
Just post again if you have further questions.
the rattling could also be a jumper that came of (there are several for cockpit, grand terminal furthrrrr and shuttle control...)
They are more or less for "configuration" purposes so you wouldn't easily recognize something is "wrong"...

I'm already excited what is in there wink

btw: i have a rattling noise inside my intellijel rainmaker hmmm.....
I couldn't get the rattling thing out of the module because it is so dense inside and i decided to leave it be because everthing works as expected hihi
Pelsea
The problem with rattles is they are a short circuit waiting to happen. That is definitely a warrantee issue (defect in workmanship) and should be addressed by the manufacturer. Even if you get the errant nut out, where should it be?
monads
It might be a jumper from the back panel on a module (i.e. cockpit) come loose.
Pelicashka
Well, I finally managed to open the unit. It was a bit tricky as the panel sat very tight, and getting it back into place was even harder.

Long story short, the rattles have been caused by a tiny loose piece of solder that was riding along the rails. I couldn’t identify where from it could have come off, and the system seems to be working properly, so I guess everything is fine.

I can’t seem to get a stereo sound from the output though. I tried two pairs of headphones and both are only getting the left channel. I did not touch any jumpers, but could it be the “factory” jumper configuration that is set to output a mono signal only? I read the cockpit manual, but I am not sure if I understand it correctly.
Jenseits
Regarding stereo output...
Try using the headphones output of Grand Terminal first (not on Cockpit).
Does it output stereo?

If not:
Press and hold the red button on grand terminal next to "follow me" (left or right, depending on which input "to the gates" you use.
After press and hold it is possible to set the panning (left/right) and the output level of that channel. Turn the red cutoff knob to adjust panning from left to right. Wiggle it from min to max once and then set it to center position.
Is it in stereo now?
(read also manual for grand terminal > everything about setting it up regarding output...)

If the grand terminal does deliver stereo but the cockpit doesn't:
Check jumper configuration on cockpit (compare with what is described in cockpits manual).
If everything is jumpered like it should be than there is something wrong probably...
Also make sure you plug in cables completely... On new endorphin.es modules, the connectors are a bit tight...

All in all: That the panel sits so firm is not too good. My Frap Tools Plus case elements all have enough clearance on top and bottom rail so i wonder how that is possible...
And the solder was inside the rail? i wonder how that could happen?

If possible, i'd say send it back and get a replacement. But i can imagine that's not always that easy...

I hope you get that sorted out. The shuttle is such a great instrument. Shit happens... Best wishes!
Pelicashka
I am yet to read the manuals to the modules in their entirety, but I think everything seems fine. I've played a little bit with the Shuttle this morning before work and checked the Grand Terminal as you suggested.

It does output stereo. I also managed to get a stereo signal from the Cockpit, however it only worked when I used the supplied stereo patch cable to connect the Grand Terminal output (one with the headphones picture) to the Channel 1 of the Cockpit.

I guess that means that the Cockpit can run in stereo in my stock configuration, right?

I was really in a hurry and have only figured out how to pan the Grand Terminal signals right before I had to leave home. So, I am guessing that if I pan one GT signal to the left and the other to the right and use two mono cables into the Cockpit, I should get a stereo signal?

Thanks for your help again, Jenseits. I hope I do not trouble you much with my noob questions.

Jenseits wrote:

All in all: That the panel sits so firm is not too good. My Frap Tools Plus case elements all have enough clearance on top and bottom rail so i wonder how that is possible...
And the solder was inside the rail? i wonder how that could happen?

If possible, i'd say send it back and get a replacement. But i can imagine that's not always that easy...!

Well, I guess it can be loosened up by loosening up the screws in the side panels or in the center connection inside a bit. I really don't think that this and a small piece of solder is a reason to replace the unit.

Just wait until I get a hex key! razz
seamonkeyman
Thanks for sharing this, I also have a rattly Shuttle System, it works fine, but I’m always concerned something will short. I’ll pop mine open too.
Jenseits
Good to hear - stereo is working smile

I use a Stereo cable to go from Grand Terminal into cockpit.
All inputs of cockpit are stereo by default.
I configured the lowest one to double mono so when i plug in a mono cable it can be heard left and right.

I wouldn’t pan the grand terminal channels into hard left/hard right (although that can be of use in special situations). Keep both centered. If you just use one voice you can use the second channel for an external source etc...
Fiddle with stereo later (as long as you get sound both sides). There is more important things to explore first wink

At this point i advise to read all manuals for all modules extensively!
The shuttle system is easy to use once you know nearly everything what the modules are capable of. I spent hours reading them and trying stuff and it is very rewarding! I don’t know a system which packs more features into 84hp and it does it quite elegant (once you get to know it) smile
Have fun! grin
Pelicashka
Jenseits wrote:

At this point i advise to read all manuals for all modules extensively!
The shuttle system is easy to use once you know nearly everything what the modules are capable of. I spent hours reading them and trying stuff and it is very rewarding! I don’t know a system which packs more features into 84hp and it does it quite elegant (once you get to know it) smile
Have fun! grin

That's the plan! Today I used the printer at work to print 88 pages of Endorphin.es manuals in full color. (Don't tell anyone!) Mr. Green

seamonkeyman wrote:
Thanks for sharing this, I also have a rattly Shuttle System, it works fine, but I’m always concerned something will short. I’ll pop mine open too.

Cool, I'll be interested to know what the cause of your rattles was. Here's mine with an mouse for scale.

monads
Good tips here!!! Yeah I printed all the manuals out too in full color! hihi
Watching YouTube videos of individual modules from members here also helped so make sure to do that.
I also need to change the jumpers on Cockpit because I don't need all of them set to stereo.

The Shuttle System is really an awesome powerful little synth.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1