MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

re-using an envelope with a different trigger - possible?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author re-using an envelope with a different trigger - possible?
argfargl
Is it possible to somehow *re-use* a single envelope with two different triggers, or send it to 2 different places? This is something I've tried to wrap my head around a bit and it seems like it should be possible, but I can't quite grok it.

What'd I'd like is to, say, use channel 1 of maths to set up a nice snappy envelope - and with trigger A send the envelope to open VCA A... and with trigger B send the envelope to open VCA B.

It doesn't *seem* possible, given envelope modules, Maths or otherwise, take a single trigger and go to a single place. I know I could mult an envelope and send it to 2 different places, but that would be still sharing the same trigger.

How can I accomplish this, or is it just one of those... "duh, obviously not!" kind of things?
evileye0702
This really can't be done. You are essential trying to reuse something that is still in use.

Now if you envelope so short you know no two will overlap, you can AND the two triggers together before connecting to the envelope and then mult the envelope output to the two VCAs.
Dave Peck
You could accomplish something like this using a 1-to-2 VC switch, or VC panner, and send the EG through the switch and send the trigger 'B' to both the EG and to the CV input of this switch, so when trigger 'B' happens it also sends the EG to the second switch output. But you would also have to do something to lengthen the trigger 'B' so the switch stays in that position until the EG is done (using a logic 'pulse' module or maybe a slew module with fast attack and slow release). So it ends up being more complex and requires more modules (and money) than just buying a second EG and using a separate EG for each trigger.
argfargl
ahhh for sure - so adding 2 triggers together to both hit the envelope. makes sense! and yeah i guess there'd be no way to run an envelope with "2 channels" aside from the panning or other tricks you mentioned, Dave.... tho that's kind of an interesting idea hmmm.....
CaneMan
You'd need a CV switch or panner to route the output of your envelope to two different VCA's plus some logic that goes high when you feed it one trigger and low when you feed it another. With some creativity, you might be able to implement that logic with attenuverter/offsets and sample- or track-and-hold. Definitely doable if you have the hardware on hand. Might even be fun to implement if you don't have enough envelopes. Otherwise, two envelopes would be easier.

Edit: You beat me to it, Dave.
wackelpeter
Makes me wonder why i never used my VC panners to route some CV Signals around my System... Shows me how often i'm narrowed down to only the most obvious purposes on some of my modules..

anyway, great idea…
Graham Hinton
argfargl wrote:
How can I accomplish this ?

You need a Set-Reset (SR) latch that is flipped by the two triggers and which controls two multiplexers, one for the envelope destination and the other for the trigger source.

Such a latch can be built from half a 4013 or even just two NOR gates. I'm not sure if there are any modules that embody this, but there are plenty of analogue switch modules.
R.U.Nuts
evileye0702 wrote:

Now if you envelope so short you know no two will overlap, you can AND the two triggers together before connecting to the envelope and then mult the envelope output to the two VCAs.

I'm aware that this really adds nothing to the answer to the initial question so this is just me being a smart ass but the required logic function for this would be OR, not AND hihi
electricanada
Check out the NLC Sly Grogan envelope which can have multiple attacks. Run it into two VCAs, then trigger one of them late.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1