MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Dubstep / Reese / Glitchhop Bass but live
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Dubstep / Reese / Glitchhop Bass but live
Dennis
hi
my current main goal is to create a live setup for my glitch hop / dnb / techno whatever gigs this year.

i have problems getting the right bass flavor with my setup:

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_899821.jpg

im after this standard dubstep bass sound / Reese i don't know but everyone has heard it enough times to know what i mean:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_01PfSjMi8

my plan was to layer complex VCOs and experimental ones filter them and bam - sounds way too clean :-D

do i lack distortion or fuzz? im stuck atm maybe you got an idea?
thanks in advance :-D

PS: its sequenced from octatrack where the drums are done also, i just want a eurorack to create the most satisfiying bass lines ;-)

PPS: i found some interesting videos with XAOC zadar envelopes being used to filter basslines.... seemed like the right direction...
JohnLRice
I'm sure there are many ways to achieve what you want. I'm most familiar with using a Happy Nerding FM AID to do similar things:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/happy-nerding-fm-aid-

Here's a cool soundcloud demo that Igor from Happy Nerding did that has a variety of sounds:
[s]https://soundcloud.com/happy-nerding/fm-aid-club-style[/s]

Here's one I did:
[s]https://soundcloud.com/johnlrice/happy-nerding-fm-aid-123-vcos[/s]
SB-SIX
A good FM module is a start (hertz donut mk3 for instance), and layering is important (layer with a sub-bass sine). Using a bandpass filter can add extra juice (not on the subbass), or a wavefolder (different folding algo's already in the HDmk3), and adding stereo width is also important. That is a bit harder in a rack, maybe a good chorus module would help.

FM in the analog domain is much harder to get good results imho. The FM aid sounds great too @JohnLRice! If I remember correctly it does actually phase modulation instead of FM, like the digital FM modules, which is great because it's easier to control regarding pitch
Dennis
thanks for the fast tips!

hm i thought i covered my FM stuff enough with CS-L and Shapeshifter (currently not in the rack) but that FM aid demo really sounds amazing eek!

i already use a iron ether polytope after my rack to really thicken the sound up big time so im pretty much used to chorus heaven :-)

i think the movement of the filter / wobble is a huge party wich for me, is hard to do (with just ''plain ol'' batumi)
R.U.Nuts
Dennis wrote:

i think the movement of the filter / wobble is a huge party wich for me, is hard to do (with just ''plain ol'' batumi)

Mult the pitch CV for your bassline into the frequency CV input of the LFO that makes the wobble. Now low notes will wobble slowly while higher notes wobble faster.

For stereo widening and extra grit: Run the bass into a stereo reverb and crank up the input gain of the reverb until the bass overdrives the shizzle out of it Rockin' Banana! Dead Banana Rockin' Banana!
mt3
Metropolis and Synchrodyne should be an excellent starting point.
Rex Coil 7
Dennis wrote:
... that FM aid demo really sounds amazing eek!
Sho 'nuff. I just bought a used one (in Euro rack). You really need to check out the vids/demos of the FM-aid, it's different from a wave folder ... it's totally it's own thing.

I just finished up putting together an "FM section" of my Euro synth rack....

** Mutable Instruments WARPS.
** Happy Nerding FM Aid.
** Doepfer dual ring mod.
** Intellijel uFoldII (bought used for $103.00 ... I shit you not).
** A pair of Doepfer A-110-2 VCOs.
** Intellijel Polaris (multi faceted filter module).
** A pair of Bastl Instruments "Hendrickson" (for bringing in and warping/folding external ROMpler signals and twisting the shit out of those external signals).

Add to those puh-lenty of modulation modules (4 MATHS and more) as well as sixteen VCAs. Real time performance controllers....

** 61 note Dot Com kybd (aftertouch, attack velocity, release velocity).
** Dot Com joystick.
** Two Dot Com 20" ribbon controllers.
** Two Soundmachines "Light strips".
** Soundmachines "Light Plane".
** Flight of Harmony "Choices" joystick.
** CV foot controller (customized Ernie Ball foot controller patched into Dot Com footswitch/expression pedal interface).
** Two Behringer FCB1010 MIDI foot controllers.
** Two Kenton CV-MIDI converters (note these are not MIDI-CV converters, but actually CV-MIDI converters) so I may use any of my analog/CV controllers to work with MIDI synths.

So now I'm pretty well set for creating these FM-y/wave-foldy/deeply digital sounding patches. Add all of that to my main modular synth (deeply customized Dot Com based system ... 4 VCOs/2 VCFs normalized for patch-cable-less patching) ... more than 80% of my sounds can be made without a single patch cable.

Got the wub wub wub goin' on!!

thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up It's peanut butter jelly time!
c0rpse
mt3 wrote:

I'm really interested in how you would use Synchrodyne in this context? My normal Synchrodyne patch sounds like a snarling electric saxophone.
mt3
c0rpse wrote:
mt3 wrote:

I'm really interested in how you would use Synchrodyne in this context? My normal Synchrodyne patch sounds like a snarling electric saxophone.

"My normal Synchrodyne patch..."
There's the problem: what is this "normal" you speak of?
w00t

To be accurate, Synchrodyne + Expander is the complete gateway.
This is the best module in all of modular synthesis. It's like a semi-modular synth, but better. Essentially standalone. Infinite learning, you don't even need any other modules.

Aspects of the Synchrodyne most suited for neuroreese designs:
* PLL (slow tracking, slightly stiff damping)
* Switched Cap Filter
* 4-Pole Bandpass
* Wavefolding
* Ratio switch
* Influence

@3:10 great starter tone.
From @3:15 until @5:10 great tones from each of the outputs, especially 4-Pole + Wavefolder.
@9:30 the PLL effect I was referring to above.
@11:00 starting point for rhythmic action.
@18:20 has a nice near-finished sound.

c0rpse isn't this your video demo???
hmmm.....

I sadly don't have this module anymore. I essentially do something similar to the Synchrodyne with a Piston Honda mk III and Bionic Lester.
mt3

Another good demo. You can imagine how the sounds can be reappropriated for your favorite subgenre.
Chopper
...or Get a Mutable instruments TIDES....
it provides me "that sound" in an instant.
Rex Coil 7
Synchrodyne filters $470.00 from my wallet.

Ouch.

mt3
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Synchrodyne filters $470.00 from my wallet.

Ouch.

That's the Om behind these "complex" modules that integrate MANY valuable utility functions/modules.
Those "expensive" (hint: not at all) offerings from Make Noise, Harvestman, WMD, etc. actually save you deniros as well as hp.
Convenience.
If you were to price Synchrodyne's features and components, the cost would be > $500 and approach 3U (or more).
Om
Rex Coil 7
... ah ... I see .... mojo!
DruidTek
You could save yourself a lot of time, hassle and expense by just using a sampler instead. It's the quickest and easiest way to achieve that kind of sound. There's a lot of computer trickery going into making those kind of basslines - dozens of different stabs, split up into frequency bands and processed in different ways, then resampled and chopped up and rearranged, then glued together with multi-band compression and even more processing, etc. It's virtually impossible to recreate that live with modular, unless you're using samples.
franktropez
Chopper wrote:

Could you elaborate a bit on this? Perhaps a basic patch example? I have a tides but mostly use it as a vco (like apparently 80% of tides users). I could see how the wave folding would come in handy here.
c0rpse
mt3 wrote:

That's Alex our marketing and sales guy. My name's Mason I do software and digital stuff. We both help William with design.

The Synchrodyne is from before my time at WMD, but I still have one and get pretty intimate with it. I've just never really tried it for the glitch/mid bass type stuff.

My standard voice for this sound is PDO + TBVCA + Digital VCA. I usually use a couple envelopes, one lfo, and hard gates into the Digi VCA for some nice clickless chopping.

I've also been getting into Assimil8or for similar phase mod FM8 type sounds.
Chopper
franktropez wrote:
Chopper wrote:

Could you elaborate a bit on this? Perhaps a basic patch example? I have a tides but mostly use it as a vco (like apparently 80% of tides users). I could see how the wave folding would come in handy here.

The wavefolding indeed, plus the low out patched to a lowpass filter in order to generate the necessary sub. Any modulation, lfo or env, into the waveforms parameters help as well of course. Oh, and the SHEEP firmware, of course, with the low out going through a lowpass filter as well.
By the way, people tend to forget that the high out in vco mode is a square, and you can modulate the pulsewidth by modulating the slope... That and the low out together brings you in THAT territory.
mt3
I have some neuro style examples that employ the Piston Honda mk III exclusively.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxA-S1ahDic

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bw7xjO8ltMh
mt3
c0rpse wrote:
mt3 wrote:

That's Alex our marketing and sales guy. My name's Mason I do software and digital stuff. We both help William with design.

The Synchrodyne is from before my time at WMD, but I still have one and get pretty intimate with it. I've just never really tried it for the glitch/mid bass type stuff.

My standard voice for this sound is PDO + TBVCA + Digital VCA. I usually use a couple envelopes, one lfo, and hard gates into the Digi VCA for some nice clickless chopping.

I've also been getting into Assimil8or for similar phase mod FM8 type sounds.

Ah, I think I saw it mentioned somewhere before that Alex was sales/marketing, and I must have dismissed it because I thought it was disinformation or some type of stratagem.
I tend not to trust them marketing blokes much, but he seems quite proper, exception to the rule...
w00t

Ya, PDO + TBVCA was my 2nd suggestion. But being able to harness, tame, or control any aspect of the Synchrodyne + Expander is a modular feather in one's synthesis hat.
we're not worthy
mt3
DruidTek wrote:
You could save yourself a lot of time, hassle and expense by just using a sampler instead. It's the quickest and easiest way to achieve that kind of sound. There's a lot of computer trickery going into making those kind of basslines - dozens of different stabs, split up into frequency bands and processed in different ways, then resampled and chopped up and rearranged, then glued together with multi-band compression and even more processing, etc. It's virtually impossible to recreate that live with modular, unless you're using samples.

Almost all of what you said is what I've posted and thought before. But that shouldn't prevent anyone from attempting it. The instagram examples I linked to can get one near the same destination by a different path. Explore.

Any samplers specifically? As c0rpse mentioned, Assimil8or seems optimal for this (I've yet to try it... donations accepted).
Dennis
yea playing with the synchro dyne make me lust for more control over it especially sweeping sound from adjusting the pll if i only had cv control over these params :-D

i agree, the amount of functions per $/hp in synchro+expander is amazing!
yet have to find a use for all the different outputs maybe with an seq switch to get use of every single one but stepped....
i have to use the FM from the PH3 more, didn't dive into it yet....
thanks for all the suggestions!!!
milkshake
I think you can get very far with a microfreak.

Add some guitar pedals, maybe some extra modules and gooo.
mt3
Dennis wrote:
i agree, the amount of functions per $/hp in synchro+expander is amazing!
yet have to find a use for all the different outputs maybe with an seq switch to get use of every single one but stepped....

WMD SSM x2 ---> Matrix Mixer (unsure which...)

I also didn't get a chance to explore feedback patches on that thing. Seems like it's begging for it...
BTByrd
Digital oscillators. Layering. Gain-staging.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/btbyrd/a-sound-design-podcast-nasty-modular-b ass-1[/s]

Sorry it's not visual, but this is quite old and I made it before vlogging was feasible.

EDIT: And SoundCloud isn't working for me on the forum right now... but here's the URL to my "Nasty Modular Bass" sound design thing.

http://soundcloud.com/btbyrd/a-sound-design-podcast-nasty-modular-bass -1
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2