MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Best bass synths not in the fart category
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Best bass synths not in the fart category
sleestack808
More FM. More rubbery. Any thing other than the fart category of your standard go to bass synths. Euro rack, modular, stand alone keyboard. All fine. All suggestions welcome.

Thanks!
anselmi
sub-37
obvious choise...big, fat, solid...and you don´t have to use all in its mixer together to sound big, it´s amazing how round and fat just 1 oscillator sounds...add a little sub and your bass is ready
of course you can go monster and bring it all to the front, 2 oscillators + sub + noise + feedback...and also the distortion in the filter...everything to release a kraken bass

SH-101
rubbery, simple, bouncy, funky and always fits in the mix
a must for techno, house, synth pop, electro

DFAM
man, this thing is a techno bass dream machine...huge low end, and the sequencer is ace

SEM (patchbay reissue)
when i need robotic, ripped bass tones...use the patchbay to add some filter FM and get x1000 organic transformer textures

Basimilus Iteritas Alter
great module voice that is like the digital counterpart of the DFAM (minus the sequencer)...great FM-esque tones

Microbrute
If you work the brute factor with enough detail you can get a monster bass out of this mini synth...also: the oscillator waveforms offers a very wide palette of timbres to work with
Sinamsis
anselmi wrote:
sub-37
obvious choise...big, fat, solid...and you don´t have to use all in its mixer together to sound big, it´s amazing how round and fat just 1 oscillator sounds...add a little sub and your bass is ready
of course you can go monster and bring it all to the front, 2 oscillators + sub + noise + feedback...and also the distortion in the filter...everything to release a krakken bass

SH-101
rubbery, simple, bouncy, funky and always fits in the mix
a must for techno, house, synth pop, electro

DFAM
man, this thing is a techno bass dream machine...huge low end, and the sequencer is ace

SEM (patchbay reissue)
when i need robotic, ripped bass tones...use the patchbay to add some filter FM and get x1000 organic transformer textures

Basimilus Iteritas Alter
great module voice that is like the digital counterpart of the DFAM (minus the sequencer)...great FM-esque tones

Microbrute
If you work the brute factor with enough detail you can get a monster bass out of this mini synth...also: the oscillator waveforms offers a very wide palette of timbers to work with

The several that I own here I can agree with. Microbrute is surprisingly good. I need to plug mine in again, right now my daughter plays with it while I work in the studio. I recently got a Two Voice Pro and it's AMAZING. Otherwise I've gotten some very intense low end from the following:

- Analog Keys
- Modal 002
- Moog One
- Alesis Andromeda

I know polys are not the first thing that come to mine, but these really do it for me. I think a feature many of these share is two filters in series.

Otherwise in the modular realm, and specifically for FM'y sounds:

- Any complex osc. Specifically Cs-L does it for me. Also Furthrrrr and Shapeshifter.
- Hertz Donut mk III
- Intellijel Atlantis
luketeaford
Recently rekindling my love of the Mother 32 and it's great for sequencing bass lines. DFAM too, but the more flexible sequencer of M32 is a killer feature for me.

I second the Arturia recommendation-- I have a minibrute and the filter leaves the low end intact even when you increase the resonance, so it can have a very nice low end.
h4ndcrafted
Atlantis with the right eqing

Def OB-6 not super subby but def punches where it counts, loads of presence

Ms20 , high pass poking out the Rez does nice subs.

Tt303 Sqr wave

I imagine the Behringer model D can put the willies up you zombie

Oh yeah the modal 001 did some very nice bass, you could get nice acoustic stuff out of it, very plucky , but also very subby. Again sat in the mix really well too. I miss the 001 tbh.
Kja
Microvolt got rubbery bass for dazs..
Bath House
Use a square into filter for rubber, sawtooth for farts.
Jason Brock
Bath House wrote:
Use a square into filter for rubber, sawtooth for farts.

I agree it's more about technique than gear. A Moog can sound farty, but with different settings it will be tight and bouncy.
FM/cross-mod is a little different...some synths do it better than others. I think the Pro-One does great cross-mod for tight and punchy bass. Or just go straight for a Yamaha DX something.
Red Electric Rainbow
Roland SH-101, SH-01A
Novation Bass Station ii
Moog Little Phatty
Nord Lead 2
Red Electric Rainbow
The Roland Juno series work well too. That thick chorus and square wave combo are very smooth & rubbery.

The Yamaha DX series can get you where you need to be as well.
calaveras
Taurus III can do a very solid non farty timbre. Heck, I almost wish it could get more farty. It's kinda too clean?
Though there is a really cool thing you can get the resonance to do when the pitches are beating just right. Almost sounds like reverb.

Roland SH09 is kind of fudgey and farty, but can also do a pretty great PWM bass. Just chill on the sawtooth and extreme resonance. Let the PWM do the talking.

Totally opposite. I really like the Waldorf stuff on bass. PPG 2.V/3.V are great on bass stuff. But you have to hit that sweet spot between gritty digital bass and utter ear garbage. The Blofeld is miles better than the VST in this regard.
DiscoDevil
SH2 is my go to bass synth.
Funch
Erica Synths Fusion Drone System. Best synth bass I've ever heard.Most of the music demos on YouTube are noise drones, however I came across a video were the person was playing melodic bass lines using an iPad keyboard to trigger the notes most like via a midi to cv converter.

Haven't been able to locate that video again, but the bass sound was fantastic.
RedLab
Moog Prodigy (or in my case a eurorack clone: Prodigy ER-16) is pretty damn good for bass duties.
IR
Volca Bass - use all 3 oscillators

Dreadbox Erebus - the triangle wave is especially very good, and the filter is well suited to bass

anything can be farty if you play low enough though.
Rigo
Yamaha CS30 ?

Read the funny description in German:

http://tastronauten.de/yamaha-cs-30.html

Or via Google Translate
Quote:
YAMAHA CS 30
Year of construction 1977 to 1980

The CS 30 was and is in a sense a tough nut to crack. He has so many adjustment and routing options that we sometimes still stand shaking his head and wondering where the sounds actually come from and where they disappear when we release the button.

The CS 30 is great for making strange alien sounds. But he can also come pretty straight. Otherwise, I know of no other synthesizer that can come up with a foot position of 128.
Volker had the floor in the living room and could open from there the glass doors of the kitchen cabinet and - depending on the depth of clay - pretty, small cracks in it. Until his wife put the CS 30 back in front of the studio door.
heckadecimal69
I was going to say your mom but then I read the qualifier. Rockin' Banana!

...I'll let myself out.
drift
hinterlands303
Analog Solutions Nyborg 12 is my go to for bass right now. It has the SEM filter and incredibly thick sounding oscillators (plus sub osc). Super snappy envelopes as well. Unlike ladder filter designs, you don't lose any low end when introducing resonance.

I had the DFAM and also loved it but traded it for the Nyborg so that I could control it directly from MIDI when playing live.
gringostar
Plugging the Hertz Donut mk1 for Bass. The mk2 is missing a bit of punch that the mk1 has which is why I kept the mk1. Haven't gotten the mk3 yet but I love what I've heard of it so far.

Outside of that I'll use my DFAM or MS-20.
sleestack808
I think a bunch of squares. Like unison mode into a filter is the way to go.
computer controlled
Behringer Neutron is missing from these lists. This thing has some balls.
Rex Coil 7
Most of the following are between $300 and $500 solutions:

* Nord Modular (or Micro Modular).

* E-MU Proteus 2000.

* E-MU XL-1 Xtreme Lead.
acidbob
For bass, in order:
Digitone
SH101
Boog
ASOL Semblance
Blofeld