MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Best bass synths not in the fart category
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Best bass synths not in the fart category
Red Electric Rainbow
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Most of the following are between $300 and $500 solutions:

* Nord Modular (or Micro Modular).

Damn. I would love a Nord Modular for $300.
Rex Coil 7
Red Electric Rainbow wrote:
Rex Coil 7 wrote:

The Nord Micro Modulars sell for less than $300.00 if you're patient. I'm on my fourth Micro Modular by now, bought the first one brand new in 2002 (I believe) from Sweetwater. The other three have been used ones, I've not paid more than $325.00 for any one of them.
Red Electric Rainbow
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Rex Coil 7 wrote:

The Nord Micro Modulars sell for less than $300.00 if you're patient. I'm on my fourth Micro Modular by now, bought the first one brand new in 2002 (I believe) from Sweetwater. The other three have been used ones, I've not paid more than $325.00 for any one of them.

I’ve never considered the micro. How does it stack up?
Rex Coil 7
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Rex Coil 7 wrote:

I’ve never considered the micro. How does it stack up?
It's exactly the same as the four-engine "Modular" but it only has one engine. It's still polyphonic, within the limits of the internal CPU.

So the full sized Modular has four "slots" (A, B, C, D) which are essentially four complete synths. The Micro has one slot only. The Micro is still full-on stereo, still has stereo inputs for processing external signals as well, and also has all of the power that one "slot" of the Modular has. It uses all of the same programming as the Modular, it can even upload some of the Modular patches as long as those patches only require one slot.

There are literally tens of thousands of Micro patches available on the web. I have over 20k patches on my HDD for the Micro/Modular.

The main thing I like about the micro is that it only has 4 knobs and a few buttons, with a simple LED display. Why do I like that more? There is less to fail/go bad. Let's remember that the NEWEST Nord Modular or Micro Modular is going to be about 17 years old ... the fewer moving parts there are, the less there is to fail. So how to control the Micro with so few controls? .... I've picked up a neat little MIDI controller that is 100% programmable and works just great with the Micro. It's made by MIDI Fighters, and called the "Twister". It provides as many as 64 fully programmable knobs (with LED rings, like the Nord Lead 3 used) as well as 64 fully programmable push buttons.

It's the one on the left in this picture (those are mine).

There is a free download editor for the Twister ... this video goes over the essentials .....

Damned things are built tough as a shovel, I reckon it will outlive me!

There are many videos on YT of the Twister as well as the Nord Micro Modular.

thumbs up thumbs up
Alphaman
the Bass Section of the Akai Rhythm Wolf^^
Funch
Found that Erica Synth Fusion drone system bass demo.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube .com/watch%3Fv%3DNDxH7RfwtNM&ved=2ahUKEwiS1pvJy-rhAhWBq54KHVc2AeUQwqsB MAB6BAgIEAU&usg=AOvVaw0CO7_lIardRMS2VOzySOKk
Rex Coil 7
Funch wrote:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube .com/watch%3Fv%3DNDxH7RfwtNM&ved=2ahUKEwiS1pvJy-rhAhWBq54KHVc2AeUQwqsB MAB6BAgIEAU&usg=AOvVaw0CO7_lIardRMS2VOzySOKk

I'm not hearing anything that cannot be done with a $300.00 ROMpler. That Erica Fusion stuff is EXPENSIVE!! VCO, Mixer, and VCF exceeds $1200.00. So let's see here ... a $300.00 ROMpler with 2k sounds, 16 voice (sixteen separate synth engines!), 128 note poly, stereo output ... vs ... a $1,200 monosynth (Erica Fusion) who's sound can be easily emulated by much less costly gear.

So are we after prestige here? .... or are we after pragmatic choices about adding bass sound capability to the rig?

I know where my money would go, that's certain. Or, perhaps better said, I know where my money would not go, that's certain.

thumbs up
Shledge
I'm not sure if you're being stupid or trolling. I hope it's the latter.

Why even go modular when a fucking ROMpler can do it all? d'oh!
SynthBaron
I would have to say the Steiner-Parker Synthacon filter is my new favorite for rip your head off phat bass sounds.
Shledge
As for bass synths which don't sound "farty" - the SH-101. Rubber/plastic heaven. cool
Funch
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Funch wrote:

I'm not hearing anything that cannot be done with a $300.00 ROMpler. That Erica Fusion stuff is EXPENSIVE!! VCO, Mixer, and VCF exceeds $1200.00. So let's see here ... a $300.00 ROMpler with 2k sounds, 16 voice (sixteen separate synth engines!), 128 note poly, stereo output ... vs ... a $1,200 monosynth (Erica Fusion) who's sound can be easily emulated by much less costly gear.

So are we after prestige here? .... or are we after pragmatic choices about adding bass sound capability to the rig?

I know where my money would go, that's certain. Or, perhaps better said, I know where my money would not go, that's certain.

thumbs up
of course sound is subjective and of course when we hear a YouTube video of analog gear we are hearing a romper because that analog gear is being sampled for the recording. Then it gets compressed to deal with bandwidth concerns however you can still pick up a harmonic content that will definitely sound better live.

I use digital and analog gear, both have their place. However analog gear used live in a studio where I hear the analog signal, and not a digital sample of that analog gear, sounds, feels better and has more modulation character to my ears, even if 40 percent of that audio is run into a digital verb.( he's running it through a digital verb and recording it to digital)

That whole Fusion synth system can be had used in mint condition for around $1650 and you can run digital rompers through it. Two systems just sold on reverb.com.

A delay ensemble just sold for $250 in mint condition. Used VCO's are $350 or less.

Thanks for enbedding that You Tube vid.
UltraViolet
computer controlled wrote:
Behringer Neutron is missing from these lists. This thing has some balls.

If the Neutron is any indication of what Behringer can do when they don't copy something, then the future may bring some great synths from them.
umma gumma
I think if you can only get fart bass sounds out of a synth, the problem is not the gear

lets turn this around...WHAT IS THE BEST SYNTH FOR FART BASS SOUNDS?

seriously

that sounds like a great concept for Metasonix, actually:

THE FUCKING FARTER!!

grin
UltraViolet
umma gumma wrote:
I think if you can only get fart bass sounds out of a synth, the problem is not the gear

lets turn this around...WHAT IS THE BEST SYNTH FOR FART BASS SOUNDS?

seriously

that sounds like a great concept for Metasonix, actually:

THE FUCKING FARTER!!

grin

I think there is already a thread out there somewhere on just that topic.
zaphod betamax
The Dreadbox Abyss can go quite low.
I use it for bass poly, but with the ADSR set different.........
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCPXARoBouM
IR
sleestack808 wrote:
More FM. More rubbery. Any thing other than the fart category of your standard go to bass synths. Euro rack, modular, stand alone keyboard. All fine. All suggestions welcome.

Thanks!

Pretty much every recommendation is something else, it might have been better to start a "Worst bass synths in the fart category" thread to know what not to get.
umma gumma
I did a search for "fart" here, and got this:

"No topics or posts met your search criteria"

:(

muff's needs more beans
UltraViolet
That confirms it. There should have been dozens if not hundreds of hits. Search must still be broken.
sleestack808
Fart bass is easy. Chewy bass sounds are not that easy. If you really want to get anal (heh) about it. I vote mks-80 in unison mode slightly detuned. I really need to get one again.
Hyberus
I tend to use the Roland S1M. But, when SynthProf has worked his magic on it (soon, I hope) I will be returning to the joy of the Octave Cat SRM (with Philip Rees MIDI/CV convertor)
lionel
Macbeth micromac R !
It seems to be moog-D like (i don’t have the model D)
umma gumma
I got some pretty good bass sounds out of my moog grandmother, last night

no farts

although a track called "the farting grandmother" could be fun
dannyrichardson
The Diva Basses are some great VST's!
acidbob
UltraViolet wrote:
computer controlled wrote:
Behringer Neutron is missing from these lists. This thing has some balls.

If the Neutron is any indication of what Behringer can do when they don't copy something, then the future may bring some great synths from them.

I would say it's more in the "farty" category, isnt it more of a lead type synth? I only played it once and does not have the same bottom end as the Boog at all.

I would say the novation bass station would be a better contender.
DiscoDevil
Hyberus wrote:
I tend to use the Roland S1M. But, when SynthProf has worked his magic on it (soon, I hope) I will be returning to the joy of the Octave Cat SRM (with Philip Rees MIDI/CV convertor)

I have the SRM Rev A with the SSM2040 and the sub bass out of playing just the tuned filter is the most ridiculous bass in my studio.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 2 of 4