MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Best bass synths not in the fart category
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Best bass synths not in the fart category
Red Electric Rainbow
UltraViolet wrote:
computer controlled wrote:
Behringer Neutron is missing from these lists. This thing has some balls.

If the Neutron is any indication of what Behringer can do when they don't copy something, then the future may bring some great synths from them.

I felt like that about the DM12. I know its based on the Juno but I felt like it really exceeded expectations to become a poly with its own distinct characteristics. Also super capable of some nice smooth bass.
1040df
anselmi wrote:
sub-37
obvious choise...big, fat, solid...and you don´t have to use all in its mixer together to sound big, it´s amazing how round and fat just 1 oscillator sounds...add a little sub and your bass is ready
of course you can go monster and bring it all to the front, 2 oscillators + sub + noise + feedback...and also the distortion in the filter...everything to release a kraken bass

+1

Awesome bass synth. Cheaper alternative would be the Boog Model D
mgallagher641
+1000 on the SH-101

It does a load of classic bass sounds. Big square thonks, massive jungle sub bass, rave saw, Italo PWM octave basslines. Goes really deep and fits into the mix like a dream.

Another thing I've found surprisingly good for bass is the 2 op FM mode on Rings. One thing the SH-101 won't do is the DX100 Solid Bass type patch. You can get a version of this out of Rings. It's a secret mode, accessed by holding the mode button when set to modal synthesis (LED = green), until the LED starts flashing.

I used to use a Waldorf Pulse for bass and it was really heavy and deep, but it was hard to fit into a mix. It was so massive sounding you either had to pull the filter down a lot and just use it for deep sub, or make it the centrepiece of the track. Probably good for some kind of upfront Euro trance sound, but it wasn't suited to anything understated. The SH-101, by comparison, fits into the mix a lot more easily.
Hyberus
DiscoDevil wrote:
Hyberus wrote:
I tend to use the Roland S1M. But, when SynthProf has worked his magic on it (soon, I hope) I will be returning to the joy of the Octave Cat SRM (with Philip Rees MIDI/CV convertor)

I have the SRM Rev A with the SSM2040 and the sub bass out of playing just the tuned filter is the most ridiculous bass in my studio.

That's what I have, too; and that's what I'm looking forward too again
the tone ranger
I’ve got some decent bass sounds out of the 0-Coast.
Notron fn
How about the Pioneer Toraiz AS-1?

I just picked up a minty one for $325

hemeroscopium
Ciat Lonbarde Tetrax organ. When you modulate its FM it gets really good really fast.
realtrance
Arturia Microfreak! Use the "Superwave" engine with square wave as a choice, detune and balance to your taste.

Or the 2-op FM engine.

Plenty of bass on tap here!
0BSRVR
This thread has me wondering. In your opinion, what bass synths ARE in the “fart” category?
3hands
I have a couple.

Korg MS10 with pwm. Thick, and deep.

Roland SH3a. Again, square waves, and use the 8 foot OSC so you can mix in some chorus.

Korg DW8000. That classic 80s synth bass. Minimal resonance, 16th note basslines Jump out of this thing.

Finally, the Jürgen Haible living OSC (I have the living memory), through the doepfer A-106-5 SEM Filter, and using Maths as a complex env gen. Sounds unreal.
Sounds From The Shed
Havent read through all this but I would suggest a Nyborg 24 or Leipzig

All sounds percussion included bar strings are Nyborg 24, strings are prophet rev 2
bitflip
1040df wrote:
anselmi wrote:
sub-37
obvious choise...big, fat, solid...and you don´t have to use all in its mixer together to sound big, it´s amazing how round and fat just 1 oscillator sounds...add a little sub and your bass is ready
of course you can go monster and bring it all to the front, 2 oscillators + sub + noise + feedback...and also the distortion in the filter...everything to release a kraken bass

+1

Awesome bass synth. Cheaper alternative would be the Boog Model D

Boog does bass! In my case, it bumped Slim Phatty from the lineup, no matter how i tried i just couldn't get Slim to sound like a Moog hmmm.....
calaveras
ok this is one I forgot about because I have enough synths that I usually run one as a dedicated bass only synth.
But one of the coolest sounding things is to use a track on the Machinedrum for bass. Either using the plain old sine wave and just Plock-ing the pitch by ear.
Or using a kick drum patch and just boosting the shit out of the decay and/or fuzz/distortion.
It's not an analog bass sound at all. But you can certainly get in the neighborhood of glitchy 'lately bass' or just a nice solid sub boom.
Rex Coil 7
sleestack808 wrote:
... Any thing other than the fart category of your standard go to bass synths.

Euro rack, modular, stand alone keyboard. All fine. All suggestions welcome.

Thanks!

Rex Coil 7 wrote:
... let's see here ... a $300.00 ROMpler with 2k sounds, 16 voice (sixteen separate synth engines!), 128 note poly, stereo output ... vs ... a $1,200 monosynth (Erica Fusion) who's sound can be easily emulated by much less costly gear.

I know where my money would go, that's certain. Or, perhaps better said, I know where my money would not go, that's certain.

thumbs up

Shledge wrote:
I'm not sure if you're being stupid or trolling. I hope it's the latter.

Why even go modular when a fucking ROMpler can do it all? d'oh!

Go piss up a rope, Sludge. Read what Member *sleestack808 said (the OP, quoted at the top of this post) ... allow it to penetrate that thick skull of yours.

... your ass sucks buttermilk .... lol lol Mr. Green Mr. Green hihi hihi

thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up
mookmoof
Voyager got that earthquake
oscilloscope
Check this video, the band got plenty of synths, but for the bass they chose a bass guitar. Listen starting at 4:15 ... I even doubt a bass synth can do that.
https://youtu.be/jZfPXXQs_Qg

But otherwise (and if unwilling to cough up over a grand for an OP) I'd suggest:
dubonaire
oscilloscope wrote:
Check this video, the band got plenty of synths, but for the bass they chose a bass guitar. Listen starting at 4:15 ... I even doubt a bass synth can do that.

Such a sweet tune. The global cafe tune of the turn of the millenium.
anselmi
oscilloscope wrote:

Air use an electric bass because they was after the very specific bass sound on History of Melody Nelson´s record,
Nicolas Godin said that in an interview, and that he found this sound in a ‘62 Burns Bison (not in the video though), so a bass synth never was an option for them
Eurocat
Kanye gets all his super low end bass by sampling Kim’s farts. That bitch pushes out some low end rumblers.
Gaetan
oscilloscope wrote:

I'm sure you could have something that alive and groovy with a synth, but it requires playing it yourself with a lot of expressiveness (mod wheel, velocity). Used to be more common in the 70s. That said, sound-wise, a bass synth will never sound like an electric bass and vice-versa.

Killer track though.
The Grump
My MW1 rev A, hands down. Those filters are like nothing else. Surgical precision bass that stays tight no matter how low you go.
umma gumma
The Grump wrote:
My MW1 rev A, hands down. Those filters are like nothing else. Surgical precision bass that stays tight no matter how low you go.

what is an MW1?

Muff Wiggler?
Mutant Warmonger?
Muscular Woman?

???
drift
umma gumma wrote:
The Grump wrote:

what is an MW1?

Muff Wiggler?
Mutant Warmonger?
Muscular Woman?

???

Waldorf Microwave 1
sutekina bipu-on
ts10/ts12.....
vingtdieux
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 3 of 4