Best bass synths not in the fart category

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:06 pm

UltraViolet wrote:
computer controlled wrote:Behringer Neutron is missing from these lists. This thing has some balls.
If the Neutron is any indication of what Behringer can do when they don't copy something, then the future may bring some great synths from them.
I felt like that about the DM12. I know its based on the Juno but I felt like it really exceeded expectations to become a poly with its own distinct characteristics. Also super capable of some nice smooth bass.
TOO FAR GONE

1040df
Learning to Wiggle

Post by 1040df » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:36 pm

anselmi wrote:sub-37
obvious choise...big, fat, solid...and you don´t have to use all in its mixer together to sound big, it´s amazing how round and fat just 1 oscillator sounds...add a little sub and your bass is ready
of course you can go monster and bring it all to the front, 2 oscillators + sub + noise + feedback...and also the distortion in the filter...everything to release a kraken bass
+1

Awesome bass synth. Cheaper alternative would be the Boog Model D

mgallagher641
Common Wiggler

Post by mgallagher641 » Thu May 02, 2019 3:24 pm

+1000 on the SH-101

It does a load of classic bass sounds. Big square thonks, massive jungle sub bass, rave saw, Italo PWM octave basslines. Goes really deep and fits into the mix like a dream.

Another thing I've found surprisingly good for bass is the 2 op FM mode on Rings. One thing the SH-101 won't do is the DX100 Solid Bass type patch. You can get a version of this out of Rings. It's a secret mode, accessed by holding the mode button when set to modal synthesis (LED = green), until the LED starts flashing.

I used to use a Waldorf Pulse for bass and it was really heavy and deep, but it was hard to fit into a mix. It was so massive sounding you either had to pull the filter down a lot and just use it for deep sub, or make it the centrepiece of the track. Probably good for some kind of upfront Euro trance sound, but it wasn't suited to anything understated. The SH-101, by comparison, fits into the mix a lot more easily.

Hyberus
Common Wiggler

Post by Hyberus » Thu May 02, 2019 4:02 pm

DiscoDevil wrote:
Hyberus wrote:I tend to use the Roland S1M. But, when SynthProf has worked his magic on it (soon, I hope) I will be returning to the joy of the Octave Cat SRM (with Philip Rees MIDI/CV convertor)
I have the SRM Rev A with the SSM2040 and the sub bass out of playing just the tuned filter is the most ridiculous bass in my studio.
That's what I have, too; and that's what I'm looking forward too again
Random is the new maRnod

the tone ranger
Common Wiggler

Post by the tone ranger » Sat May 04, 2019 2:27 am

I’ve got some decent bass sounds out of the 0-Coast.

Notron fn
Common Wiggler

Post by Notron fn » Mon May 06, 2019 9:56 am

How about the Pioneer Toraiz AS-1?

I just picked up a minty one for $325

[video][/video]
Insert pithy statement here

hemeroscopium
Wiggling with Experience

Post by hemeroscopium » Mon May 06, 2019 10:22 am

Ciat Lonbarde Tetrax organ. When you modulate its FM it gets really good really fast.

realtrance
Common Wiggler

Post by realtrance » Mon May 13, 2019 11:45 am

Arturia Microfreak! Use the "Superwave" engine with square wave as a choice, detune and balance to your taste.

Or the 2-op FM engine.

Plenty of bass on tap here!

0BSRVR
Common Wiggler

Post by 0BSRVR » Fri May 17, 2019 4:11 am

This thread has me wondering. In your opinion, what bass synths ARE in the “fart” category?

My System:

Travel Case: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1020365

Studio Case: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1010495

3hands
Wiggling with Experience

Post by 3hands » Sun May 19, 2019 8:59 am

I have a couple.

Korg MS10 with pwm. Thick, and deep.

Roland SH3a. Again, square waves, and use the 8 foot OSC so you can mix in some chorus.

Korg DW8000. That classic 80s synth bass. Minimal resonance, 16th note basslines Jump out of this thing.

Finally, the Jürgen Haible living OSC (I have the living memory), through the doepfer A-106-5 SEM Filter, and using Maths as a complex env gen. Sounds unreal.
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

Sounds From The Shed
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Sounds From The Shed » Sun May 19, 2019 9:22 am

Havent read through all this but I would suggest a Nyborg 24 or Leipzig

[video][/video]

All sounds percussion included bar strings are Nyborg 24, strings are prophet rev 2

bitflip
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bitflip » Sun May 19, 2019 10:12 am

1040df wrote:
anselmi wrote:sub-37
obvious choise...big, fat, solid...and you don´t have to use all in its mixer together to sound big, it´s amazing how round and fat just 1 oscillator sounds...add a little sub and your bass is ready
of course you can go monster and bring it all to the front, 2 oscillators + sub + noise + feedback...and also the distortion in the filter...everything to release a kraken bass
+1

Awesome bass synth. Cheaper alternative would be the Boog Model D
Boog does bass! In my case, it bumped Slim Phatty from the lineup, no matter how i tried i just couldn't get Slim to sound like a Moog :hmm:

calaveras
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by calaveras » Sun May 26, 2019 9:18 pm

ok this is one I forgot about because I have enough synths that I usually run one as a dedicated bass only synth.
But one of the coolest sounding things is to use a track on the Machinedrum for bass. Either using the plain old sine wave and just Plock-ing the pitch by ear.
Or using a kick drum patch and just boosting the shit out of the decay and/or fuzz/distortion.
It's not an analog bass sound at all. But you can certainly get in the neighborhood of glitchy 'lately bass' or just a nice solid sub boom.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Sun May 26, 2019 10:36 pm

sleestack808 wrote:... Any thing other than the fart category of your standard go to bass synths.

Euro rack, modular, stand alone keyboard. All fine. All suggestions welcome.

Thanks!
Rex Coil 7 wrote:... let's see here ... a $300.00 ROMpler with 2k sounds, 16 voice (sixteen separate synth engines!), 128 note poly, stereo output ... vs ... a $1,200 monosynth (Erica Fusion) who's sound can be easily emulated by much less costly gear.

I know where my money would go, that's certain. Or, perhaps better said, I know where my money would not go, that's certain.

:tu:
Shledge wrote:I'm not sure if you're being stupid or trolling. I hope it's the latter.

Why even go modular when a fucking ROMpler can do it all? :doh:
Go piss up a rope, Sludge. Read what Member *sleestack808 said (the OP, quoted at the top of this post) ... allow it to penetrate that thick skull of yours.

... your ass sucks buttermilk .... :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :hihi: :hihi:

:tu: :tu: :tu:
Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

mookmoof
Common Wiggler

Post by mookmoof » Mon May 27, 2019 12:50 am

Voyager got that earthquake

oscilloscope
Common Wiggler

Post by oscilloscope » Mon May 27, 2019 6:44 am

Check this video, the band got plenty of synths, but for the bass they chose a bass guitar. Listen starting at 4:15 ... I even doubt a bass synth can do that.

But otherwise (and if unwilling to cough up over a grand for an OP) I'd suggest:

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Mon May 27, 2019 8:14 am

oscilloscope wrote:Check this video, the band got plenty of synths, but for the bass they chose a bass guitar. Listen starting at 4:15 ... I even doubt a bass synth can do that.
Such a sweet tune. The global cafe tune of the turn of the millenium.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Mon May 27, 2019 11:36 am

oscilloscope wrote:Check this video, the band got plenty of synths, but for the bass they chose a bass guitar. Listen starting at 4:15 ... I even doubt a bass synth can do that.
Air use an electric bass because they was after the very specific bass sound on History of Melody Nelson´s record,
Nicolas Godin said that in an interview, and that he found this sound in a ‘62 Burns Bison (not in the video though), so a bass synth never was an option for them

Eurocat
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Eurocat » Mon May 27, 2019 2:44 pm

Kanye gets all his super low end bass by sampling Kim’s farts. That bitch pushes out some low end rumblers.

Gaetan
Common Wiggler

Post by Gaetan » Tue May 28, 2019 6:22 am

I'm sure you could have something that alive and groovy with a synth, but it requires playing it yourself with a lot of expressiveness (mod wheel, velocity). Used to be more common in the 70s. That said, sound-wise, a bass synth will never sound like an electric bass and vice-versa.

Killer track though.

The Grump
Veteran Wiggler

Post by The Grump » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:03 pm

My MW1 rev A, hands down. Those filters are like nothing else. Surgical precision bass that stays tight no matter how low you go.

umma gumma
Veteran Wiggler

Post by umma gumma » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:54 pm

The Grump wrote:My MW1 rev A, hands down. Those filters are like nothing else. Surgical precision bass that stays tight no matter how low you go.
what is an MW1?

Muff Wiggler?
Mutant Warmonger?
Muscular Woman?

???

drift
Wiggling with Experience

Post by drift » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:08 pm

umma gumma wrote:
The Grump wrote:My MW1 rev A, hands down. Those filters are like nothing else. Surgical precision bass that stays tight no matter how low you go.
what is an MW1?

Muff Wiggler?
Mutant Warmonger?
Muscular Woman?

???
Waldorf Microwave 1
Last edited by drift on Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

sutekina bipu-on
Ultra Wiggler

Post by sutekina bipu-on » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:18 pm

ts10/ts12.....

vingtdieux
Common Wiggler

Post by vingtdieux » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:13 am

Return to “General Gear”