MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Best bass synths not in the fart category
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Best bass synths not in the fart category
sleestack808
More FM. More rubbery. Any thing other than the fart category of your standard go to bass synths. Euro rack, modular, stand alone keyboard. All fine. All suggestions welcome.

Thanks!
anselmi
sub-37
obvious choise...big, fat, solid...and you don´t have to use all in its mixer together to sound big, it´s amazing how round and fat just 1 oscillator sounds...add a little sub and your bass is ready
of course you can go monster and bring it all to the front, 2 oscillators + sub + noise + feedback...and also the distortion in the filter...everything to release a kraken bass

SH-101
rubbery, simple, bouncy, funky and always fits in the mix
a must for techno, house, synth pop, electro

DFAM
man, this thing is a techno bass dream machine...huge low end, and the sequencer is ace

SEM (patchbay reissue)
when i need robotic, ripped bass tones...use the patchbay to add some filter FM and get x1000 organic transformer textures

Basimilus Iteritas Alter
great module voice that is like the digital counterpart of the DFAM (minus the sequencer)...great FM-esque tones

Microbrute
If you work the brute factor with enough detail you can get a monster bass out of this mini synth...also: the oscillator waveforms offers a very wide palette of timbres to work with
Sinamsis
anselmi wrote:
sub-37
obvious choise...big, fat, solid...and you don´t have to use all in its mixer together to sound big, it´s amazing how round and fat just 1 oscillator sounds...add a little sub and your bass is ready
of course you can go monster and bring it all to the front, 2 oscillators + sub + noise + feedback...and also the distortion in the filter...everything to release a krakken bass

SH-101
rubbery, simple, bouncy, funky and always fits in the mix
a must for techno, house, synth pop, electro

DFAM
man, this thing is a techno bass dream machine...huge low end, and the sequencer is ace

SEM (patchbay reissue)
when i need robotic, ripped bass tones...use the patchbay to add some filter FM and get x1000 organic transformer textures

Basimilus Iteritas Alter
great module voice that is like the digital counterpart of the DFAM (minus the sequencer)...great FM-esque tones

Microbrute
If you work the brute factor with enough detail you can get a monster bass out of this mini synth...also: the oscillator waveforms offers a very wide palette of timbers to work with

The several that I own here I can agree with. Microbrute is surprisingly good. I need to plug mine in again, right now my daughter plays with it while I work in the studio. I recently got a Two Voice Pro and it's AMAZING. Otherwise I've gotten some very intense low end from the following:

- Analog Keys
- Modal 002
- Moog One
- Alesis Andromeda

I know polys are not the first thing that come to mine, but these really do it for me. I think a feature many of these share is two filters in series.

Otherwise in the modular realm, and specifically for FM'y sounds:

- Any complex osc. Specifically Cs-L does it for me. Also Furthrrrr and Shapeshifter.
- Hertz Donut mk III
- Intellijel Atlantis
luketeaford
Recently rekindling my love of the Mother 32 and it's great for sequencing bass lines. DFAM too, but the more flexible sequencer of M32 is a killer feature for me.

I second the Arturia recommendation-- I have a minibrute and the filter leaves the low end intact even when you increase the resonance, so it can have a very nice low end.
h4ndcrafted
Atlantis with the right eqing

Def OB-6 not super subby but def punches where it counts, loads of presence

Ms20 , high pass poking out the Rez does nice subs.

Tt303 Sqr wave

I imagine the Behringer model D can put the willies up you zombie

Oh yeah the modal 001 did some very nice bass, you could get nice acoustic stuff out of it, very plucky , but also very subby. Again sat in the mix really well too. I miss the 001 tbh.
Kja
Microvolt got rubbery bass for dazs..
Bath House
Use a square into filter for rubber, sawtooth for farts.
Jason Brock
Bath House wrote:
Use a square into filter for rubber, sawtooth for farts.

I agree it's more about technique than gear. A Moog can sound farty, but with different settings it will be tight and bouncy.
FM/cross-mod is a little different...some synths do it better than others. I think the Pro-One does great cross-mod for tight and punchy bass. Or just go straight for a Yamaha DX something.
Red Electric Rainbow
Roland SH-101, SH-01A
Novation Bass Station ii
Moog Little Phatty
Nord Lead 2
Red Electric Rainbow
The Roland Juno series work well too. That thick chorus and square wave combo are very smooth & rubbery.

The Yamaha DX series can get you where you need to be as well.
calaveras
Taurus III can do a very solid non farty timbre. Heck, I almost wish it could get more farty. It's kinda too clean?
Though there is a really cool thing you can get the resonance to do when the pitches are beating just right. Almost sounds like reverb.

Roland SH09 is kind of fudgey and farty, but can also do a pretty great PWM bass. Just chill on the sawtooth and extreme resonance. Let the PWM do the talking.

Totally opposite. I really like the Waldorf stuff on bass. PPG 2.V/3.V are great on bass stuff. But you have to hit that sweet spot between gritty digital bass and utter ear garbage. The Blofeld is miles better than the VST in this regard.
DiscoDevil
SH2 is my go to bass synth.
Funch
Erica Synths Fusion Drone System. Best synth bass I've ever heard.Most of the music demos on YouTube are noise drones, however I came across a video were the person was playing melodic bass lines using an iPad keyboard to trigger the notes most like via a midi to cv converter.

Haven't been able to locate that video again, but the bass sound was fantastic.
RedLab
Moog Prodigy (or in my case a eurorack clone: Prodigy ER-16) is pretty damn good for bass duties.
IR
Volca Bass - use all 3 oscillators

Dreadbox Erebus - the triangle wave is especially very good, and the filter is well suited to bass

anything can be farty if you play low enough though.
Rigo
Yamaha CS30 ?

Read the funny description in German:

http://tastronauten.de/yamaha-cs-30.html

Or via Google Translate
Quote:
YAMAHA CS 30
Year of construction 1977 to 1980

The CS 30 was and is in a sense a tough nut to crack. He has so many adjustment and routing options that we sometimes still stand shaking his head and wondering where the sounds actually come from and where they disappear when we release the button.

The CS 30 is great for making strange alien sounds. But he can also come pretty straight. Otherwise, I know of no other synthesizer that can come up with a foot position of 128.
Volker had the floor in the living room and could open from there the glass doors of the kitchen cabinet and - depending on the depth of clay - pretty, small cracks in it. Until his wife put the CS 30 back in front of the studio door.
heckadecimal69
I was going to say your mom but then I read the qualifier. Rockin' Banana!

...I'll let myself out.
drift
hinterlands303
Analog Solutions Nyborg 12 is my go to for bass right now. It has the SEM filter and incredibly thick sounding oscillators (plus sub osc). Super snappy envelopes as well. Unlike ladder filter designs, you don't lose any low end when introducing resonance.

I had the DFAM and also loved it but traded it for the Nyborg so that I could control it directly from MIDI when playing live.
gringostar
Plugging the Hertz Donut mk1 for Bass. The mk2 is missing a bit of punch that the mk1 has which is why I kept the mk1. Haven't gotten the mk3 yet but I love what I've heard of it so far.

Outside of that I'll use my DFAM or MS-20.
sleestack808
I think a bunch of squares. Like unison mode into a filter is the way to go.
computer controlled
Behringer Neutron is missing from these lists. This thing has some balls.
Rex Coil 7
Most of the following are between $300 and $500 solutions:

* Nord Modular (or Micro Modular).

* E-MU Proteus 2000.

* E-MU XL-1 Xtreme Lead.
acidbob
For bass, in order:
Digitone
SH101
Boog
ASOL Semblance
Blofeld
Juno106
Virus
A4 MK1
soundinett
Doepfer MS 404. Have 2 of them.

Red Electric Rainbow
Rex Coil 7 wrote:

Damn. I would love a Nord Modular for $300.
Rex Coil 7
Red Electric Rainbow wrote:
Rex Coil 7 wrote:

The Nord Micro Modulars sell for less than $300.00 if you're patient. I'm on my fourth Micro Modular by now, bought the first one brand new in 2002 (I believe) from Sweetwater. The other three have been used ones, I've not paid more than $325.00 for any one of them.
Red Electric Rainbow
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Rex Coil 7 wrote:

The Nord Micro Modulars sell for less than $300.00 if you're patient. I'm on my fourth Micro Modular by now, bought the first one brand new in 2002 (I believe) from Sweetwater. The other three have been used ones, I've not paid more than $325.00 for any one of them.

I’ve never considered the micro. How does it stack up?
Rex Coil 7
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Rex Coil 7 wrote:

I’ve never considered the micro. How does it stack up?
It's exactly the same as the four-engine "Modular" but it only has one engine. It's still polyphonic, within the limits of the internal CPU.

So the full sized Modular has four "slots" (A, B, C, D) which are essentially four complete synths. The Micro has one slot only. The Micro is still full-on stereo, still has stereo inputs for processing external signals as well, and also has all of the power that one "slot" of the Modular has. It uses all of the same programming as the Modular, it can even upload some of the Modular patches as long as those patches only require one slot.

There are literally tens of thousands of Micro patches available on the web. I have over 20k patches on my HDD for the Micro/Modular.

The main thing I like about the micro is that it only has 4 knobs and a few buttons, with a simple LED display. Why do I like that more? There is less to fail/go bad. Let's remember that the NEWEST Nord Modular or Micro Modular is going to be about 17 years old ... the fewer moving parts there are, the less there is to fail. So how to control the Micro with so few controls? .... I've picked up a neat little MIDI controller that is 100% programmable and works just great with the Micro. It's made by MIDI Fighters, and called the "Twister". It provides as many as 64 fully programmable knobs (with LED rings, like the Nord Lead 3 used) as well as 64 fully programmable push buttons.

It's the one on the left in this picture (those are mine).

There is a free download editor for the Twister ... this video goes over the essentials .....

Damned things are built tough as a shovel, I reckon it will outlive me!

There are many videos on YT of the Twister as well as the Nord Micro Modular.

thumbs up thumbs up
Alphaman
the Bass Section of the Akai Rhythm Wolf^^
Funch
Found that Erica Synth Fusion drone system bass demo.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube .com/watch%3Fv%3DNDxH7RfwtNM&ved=2ahUKEwiS1pvJy-rhAhWBq54KHVc2AeUQwqsB MAB6BAgIEAU&usg=AOvVaw0CO7_lIardRMS2VOzySOKk
Rex Coil 7
Funch wrote:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube .com/watch%3Fv%3DNDxH7RfwtNM&ved=2ahUKEwiS1pvJy-rhAhWBq54KHVc2AeUQwqsB MAB6BAgIEAU&usg=AOvVaw0CO7_lIardRMS2VOzySOKk

I'm not hearing anything that cannot be done with a $300.00 ROMpler. That Erica Fusion stuff is EXPENSIVE!! VCO, Mixer, and VCF exceeds $1200.00. So let's see here ... a $300.00 ROMpler with 2k sounds, 16 voice (sixteen separate synth engines!), 128 note poly, stereo output ... vs ... a $1,200 monosynth (Erica Fusion) who's sound can be easily emulated by much less costly gear.

So are we after prestige here? .... or are we after pragmatic choices about adding bass sound capability to the rig?

I know where my money would go, that's certain. Or, perhaps better said, I know where my money would not go, that's certain.

thumbs up
Shledge
I'm not sure if you're being stupid or trolling. I hope it's the latter.

Why even go modular when a fucking ROMpler can do it all? d'oh!
SynthBaron
I would have to say the Steiner-Parker Synthacon filter is my new favorite for rip your head off phat bass sounds.
Shledge
As for bass synths which don't sound "farty" - the SH-101. Rubber/plastic heaven. cool
Funch
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Funch wrote:

I'm not hearing anything that cannot be done with a $300.00 ROMpler. That Erica Fusion stuff is EXPENSIVE!! VCO, Mixer, and VCF exceeds $1200.00. So let's see here ... a $300.00 ROMpler with 2k sounds, 16 voice (sixteen separate synth engines!), 128 note poly, stereo output ... vs ... a $1,200 monosynth (Erica Fusion) who's sound can be easily emulated by much less costly gear.

So are we after prestige here? .... or are we after pragmatic choices about adding bass sound capability to the rig?

I know where my money would go, that's certain. Or, perhaps better said, I know where my money would not go, that's certain.

thumbs up
of course sound is subjective and of course when we hear a YouTube video of analog gear we are hearing a romper because that analog gear is being sampled for the recording. Then it gets compressed to deal with bandwidth concerns however you can still pick up a harmonic content that will definitely sound better live.

I use digital and analog gear, both have their place. However analog gear used live in a studio where I hear the analog signal, and not a digital sample of that analog gear, sounds, feels better and has more modulation character to my ears, even if 40 percent of that audio is run into a digital verb.( he's running it through a digital verb and recording it to digital)

That whole Fusion synth system can be had used in mint condition for around $1650 and you can run digital rompers through it. Two systems just sold on reverb.com.

A delay ensemble just sold for $250 in mint condition. Used VCO's are $350 or less.

Thanks for enbedding that You Tube vid.
UltraViolet
computer controlled wrote:

If the Neutron is any indication of what Behringer can do when they don't copy something, then the future may bring some great synths from them.
umma gumma
I think if you can only get fart bass sounds out of a synth, the problem is not the gear

lets turn this around...WHAT IS THE BEST SYNTH FOR FART BASS SOUNDS?

seriously

that sounds like a great concept for Metasonix, actually:

THE FUCKING FARTER!!

grin
UltraViolet
umma gumma wrote:
I think if you can only get fart bass sounds out of a synth, the problem is not the gear

lets turn this around...WHAT IS THE BEST SYNTH FOR FART BASS SOUNDS?

seriously

that sounds like a great concept for Metasonix, actually:

THE FUCKING FARTER!!

grin

I think there is already a thread out there somewhere on just that topic.
zaphod betamax
The Dreadbox Abyss can go quite low.
I use it for bass poly, but with the ADSR set different.........
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCPXARoBouM
IR
sleestack808 wrote:
More FM. More rubbery. Any thing other than the fart category of your standard go to bass synths. Euro rack, modular, stand alone keyboard. All fine. All suggestions welcome.

Thanks!

Pretty much every recommendation is something else, it might have been better to start a "Worst bass synths in the fart category" thread to know what not to get.
umma gumma
I did a search for "fart" here, and got this:

"No topics or posts met your search criteria"

:(

muff's needs more beans
UltraViolet
That confirms it. There should have been dozens if not hundreds of hits. Search must still be broken.
sleestack808
Fart bass is easy. Chewy bass sounds are not that easy. If you really want to get anal (heh) about it. I vote mks-80 in unison mode slightly detuned. I really need to get one again.
Hyberus
I tend to use the Roland S1M. But, when SynthProf has worked his magic on it (soon, I hope) I will be returning to the joy of the Octave Cat SRM (with Philip Rees MIDI/CV convertor)
lionel
Macbeth micromac R !
It seems to be moog-D like (i don’t have the model D)
umma gumma
I got some pretty good bass sounds out of my moog grandmother, last night

no farts

although a track called "the farting grandmother" could be fun
dannyrichardson
The Diva Basses are some great VST's!
acidbob
UltraViolet wrote:

If the Neutron is any indication of what Behringer can do when they don't copy something, then the future may bring some great synths from them.

I would say it's more in the "farty" category, isnt it more of a lead type synth? I only played it once and does not have the same bottom end as the Boog at all.

I would say the novation bass station would be a better contender.
DiscoDevil
Hyberus wrote:
I tend to use the Roland S1M. But, when SynthProf has worked his magic on it (soon, I hope) I will be returning to the joy of the Octave Cat SRM (with Philip Rees MIDI/CV convertor)

I have the SRM Rev A with the SSM2040 and the sub bass out of playing just the tuned filter is the most ridiculous bass in my studio.
Red Electric Rainbow
UltraViolet wrote:

I felt like that about the DM12. I know its based on the Juno but I felt like it really exceeded expectations to become a poly with its own distinct characteristics. Also super capable of some nice smooth bass.
1040df
anselmi wrote:
sub-37
of course you can go monster and bring it all to the front, 2 oscillators + sub + noise + feedback...and also the distortion in the filter...everything to release a kraken bass

+1

Awesome bass synth. Cheaper alternative would be the Boog Model D
mgallagher641
+1000 on the SH-101

It does a load of classic bass sounds. Big square thonks, massive jungle sub bass, rave saw, Italo PWM octave basslines. Goes really deep and fits into the mix like a dream.

Another thing I've found surprisingly good for bass is the 2 op FM mode on Rings. One thing the SH-101 won't do is the DX100 Solid Bass type patch. You can get a version of this out of Rings. It's a secret mode, accessed by holding the mode button when set to modal synthesis (LED = green), until the LED starts flashing.

I used to use a Waldorf Pulse for bass and it was really heavy and deep, but it was hard to fit into a mix. It was so massive sounding you either had to pull the filter down a lot and just use it for deep sub, or make it the centrepiece of the track. Probably good for some kind of upfront Euro trance sound, but it wasn't suited to anything understated. The SH-101, by comparison, fits into the mix a lot more easily.
Hyberus
DiscoDevil wrote:
Hyberus wrote:

I have the SRM Rev A with the SSM2040 and the sub bass out of playing just the tuned filter is the most ridiculous bass in my studio.

That's what I have, too; and that's what I'm looking forward too again
the tone ranger
I’ve got some decent bass sounds out of the 0-Coast.
Notron fn
How about the Pioneer Toraiz AS-1?

I just picked up a minty one for $325

hemeroscopium
Ciat Lonbarde Tetrax organ. When you modulate its FM it gets really good really fast.
realtrance
Arturia Microfreak! Use the "Superwave" engine with square wave as a choice, detune and balance to your taste.

Or the 2-op FM engine.

Plenty of bass on tap here!
0BSRVR
This thread has me wondering. In your opinion, what bass synths ARE in the “fart” category?
3hands
I have a couple.

Korg MS10 with pwm. Thick, and deep.

Roland SH3a. Again, square waves, and use the 8 foot OSC so you can mix in some chorus.

Korg DW8000. That classic 80s synth bass. Minimal resonance, 16th note basslines Jump out of this thing.

Finally, the Jürgen Haible living OSC (I have the living memory), through the doepfer A-106-5 SEM Filter, and using Maths as a complex env gen. Sounds unreal.
Sounds From The Shed
Havent read through all this but I would suggest a Nyborg 24 or Leipzig

All sounds percussion included bar strings are Nyborg 24, strings are prophet rev 2
bitflip
1040df wrote:
anselmi wrote:
sub-37

+1

Awesome bass synth. Cheaper alternative would be the Boog Model D

Boog does bass! In my case, it bumped Slim Phatty from the lineup, no matter how i tried i just couldn't get Slim to sound like a Moog hmmm.....
calaveras
ok this is one I forgot about because I have enough synths that I usually run one as a dedicated bass only synth.
But one of the coolest sounding things is to use a track on the Machinedrum for bass. Either using the plain old sine wave and just Plock-ing the pitch by ear.
Or using a kick drum patch and just boosting the shit out of the decay and/or fuzz/distortion.
It's not an analog bass sound at all. But you can certainly get in the neighborhood of glitchy 'lately bass' or just a nice solid sub boom.
Rex Coil 7
sleestack808 wrote:
... Any thing other than the fart category of your standard go to bass synths.

Euro rack, modular, stand alone keyboard. All fine. All suggestions welcome.

Thanks!

Rex Coil 7 wrote:
... let's see here ... a $300.00 ROMpler with 2k sounds, 16 voice (sixteen separate synth engines!), 128 note poly, stereo output ... vs ... a $1,200 monosynth (Erica Fusion) who's sound can be easily emulated by much less costly gear.

thumbs up

Shledge wrote:
I'm not sure if you're being stupid or trolling. I hope it's the latter.

Why even go modular when a fucking ROMpler can do it all? d'oh!

Go piss up a rope, Sludge. Read what Member *sleestack808 said (the OP, quoted at the top of this post) ... allow it to penetrate that thick skull of yours.

... your ass sucks buttermilk .... lol lol Mr. Green Mr. Green hihi hihi

thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up
mookmoof
Voyager got that earthquake
oscilloscope
Check this video, the band got plenty of synths, but for the bass they chose a bass guitar. Listen starting at 4:15 ... I even doubt a bass synth can do that.
https://youtu.be/jZfPXXQs_Qg

But otherwise (and if unwilling to cough up over a grand for an OP) I'd suggest:
dubonaire
oscilloscope wrote:
Check this video, the band got plenty of synths, but for the bass they chose a bass guitar. Listen starting at 4:15 ... I even doubt a bass synth can do that.

Such a sweet tune. The global cafe tune of the turn of the millenium.
anselmi
oscilloscope wrote:

Air use an electric bass because they was after the very specific bass sound on History of Melody Nelson´s record,
Nicolas Godin said that in an interview, and that he found this sound in a ‘62 Burns Bison (not in the video though), so a bass synth never was an option for them
Eurocat
Kanye gets all his super low end bass by sampling Kim’s farts. That bitch pushes out some low end rumblers.
Gaetan
oscilloscope wrote:

I'm sure you could have something that alive and groovy with a synth, but it requires playing it yourself with a lot of expressiveness (mod wheel, velocity). Used to be more common in the 70s. That said, sound-wise, a bass synth will never sound like an electric bass and vice-versa.

Killer track though.
The Grump
My MW1 rev A, hands down. Those filters are like nothing else. Surgical precision bass that stays tight no matter how low you go.
umma gumma
The Grump wrote:
My MW1 rev A, hands down. Those filters are like nothing else. Surgical precision bass that stays tight no matter how low you go.

what is an MW1?

Muff Wiggler?
Mutant Warmonger?
Muscular Woman?

???
drift
umma gumma wrote:
The Grump wrote:

what is an MW1?

Muff Wiggler?
Mutant Warmonger?
Muscular Woman?

???

Waldorf Microwave 1
sutekina bipu-on
ts10/ts12.....
vingtdieux
CF3
Any bass synth..... minus the resonance and envelope amount
CosmicFlight