MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Pioneer Toraiz “Squid”
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next [all]
Author Pioneer Toraiz “Squid”
dubonaire

Link to the product page is a 404.
SweetNuthin
Wow, it's incredible
IR
I don't see any sound outputs on the back, so I'm thinking this is just to use with a computer.

Real MIDI jacks on it though, no squid cables.

(not that I'm disappointed in that particular respect lol )
euromorcego
now that looks interesting.

https://www.pioneerdj.com/en/news/2019/toraiz-squid-multitrack-sequenc er/

with cv/gate (2x) and DInSync. But sequencer only ... which is good for me but i think the market for plain sequencers is limited (I expect that many of the "target group customers" people will expect some sample player capabilities).

tioJim
£519

That is a STEAL!
tioJim
euromorcego wrote:
but i think the market for plain sequencers is limited

Ooh maybe, I'm not so sure though

Squarp Pyramid is very popular. There's lots of love for the Cirklon. Even venerable Alesis MMT8s don't hang around for too long on eBay and people have been wanting a sequencer only box from Elektron for forever
tioJim
SweetNuthin wrote:
Wow, it's incredible

Looks like a lot of FUN. I was doing some linear recording in my DAW yesterday. That was NOT fun :(
jonne74
Groove bend sounds interesting.
DiscoDevil
Wow. Instant buy.
nectarios
Massive. The price is right too...although 2CV/Gate ain't gonna cut it, so a Mutant Brain or some fancy MIDI to CV will be handy to expand the output count.

It looks fun though, Rene patterns there too. Cheaper than some euro sequencers with far less features, but of course this is a Goliath company.
xonetacular
For some reason I have a strong aversion to 4x4 pad grids but at that price point it's a buy. Might just not replace all my sequencers. Pioneer tends to get UI design right which is a problem with most sequencers.
tioJim
xonetacular wrote:
For some reason I have a strong aversion to 4x4 pad grids but at that price point it's a buy. Might just not replace all my sequencers. Pioneer tends to get UI design right which is a problem with most sequencers.

Yup 4x4 grid for x0x sequencing not my first choice (good for MPCs though) but like you say, at this price and the feature set in general, I'm in!

A couple of UK retailers have told me it should be in next week
nectarios
4x4 is brilliant imo. But then again I have been using Maschine, Rene and the MPC Live so i am used to it.

I was sure something like this was not in my radar...but I keep watching the videos and read up on it...
xonetacular
I was super happy to get rid of maschine, hated rene too. Give me 1x16 any day. I could live with 2x8 but 4x4 is kinda yucky.
nectarios
Fair enough. I guess 4x4 allows more flexibility for designing the UI + the snake modes that allow different patterns...and of course all the people that have been using MPCs to make beats for like, decades.
ziggomatic
This looks awesome!!!

Seems like a killer priced standalone sequencing solution for hardware based setups, but with only 2 MIDI and 2 CV outputs????
nectarios
ziggomatic wrote:
This looks awesome!!!

Seems like a killer priced standalone sequencing solution for hardware based setups, but with only 2 MIDI and 2 CV outputs????

Yeah, you'll need MIDI gear with Thru ports for daisy chaining and then you'd need MIDI channel offset delay to compensate for daisy chaining.
If it had 8 CV/gate I would have made a pre order on it.
xonetacular
ziggomatic wrote:
This looks awesome!!!

2 midi outs is kinda typical for sequencers. most don't have more than 2-3. get a kenton midi thru 5/12 if you don't want to daisy chain.

2 cv outs is a valid gripe but still double the cv outs the squarp pyramid has.
ziggomatic
Yeah I’ve definitely come to expect less hardware midi outputs on newer products but it’s unfortunate that’s the case. I got a Kenton thru-12 for use with the Akai Force’s single midi output and as long as I keep the number of midi through tracks reasonable there isn’t much latency.

2 outputs are indeed better than 1 (cough cough Force), and some sort of midi delay compensation would be an AMAZING feature for the Squid.

I know we all never stop gushing about the Cirklon but one of the most useful under the hood features with an all-hardware based setup is midi delay compensation, which most newer hardware sequencers lack. Cirklon does it extremely well letting you adjust on an individual output basis.

Again though for the price this looks massive.
tioJim
nectarios wrote:
Fair enough. I guess 4x4 allows more flexibility for designing the UI + the snake modes that allow different patterns...and of course all the people that have been using MPCs to make beats for like, decades.

Yeah totes, that's what swings it for me. xOx on 4x4 doesn't _seem_ intuitve to me but I'm open to it ... I've never tried it to be fair hihi
Panason
Fuck off, Pioneer.

It would be really foolish to buy this new. It will be abandonware in a year or two and will go for half the RRP second-hand. Also, bugs and ommisions and engrish user guide that doesn't actually explain all the workings of the machine.
DiscoDevil
I'm a fool. This thing appears to be able to replace at least 2 of my Zaqs, the Engine and one of my SP-16s. It's a no brainer. Already ordered.
tioJim
Panason wrote:
Fuck off, Pioneer.

It would be really foolish to buy this new. It will be abandonware in a year or two and will go for half the RRP second-hand. Also, bugs and ommisions and engrish user guide that doesn't actually explain all the workings of the machine.

Pinoeer a trigger word, along with Elektron? Who knew?!

NURSE!
Panason
Elektron still holds the crown of scumbuggery but Pioneer are trying hard to win it.

The Squid XXS will be out soon!

Be sure to join the amazing Pioneer Dj forums to express your love thumbs up (good luck)
tioJim
Panason wrote:
Elektron still holds the crown of scumbuggery but Pioneer are trying hard to win it.

The Squid XXS will be out soon!

Be sure to join the amazing Pioneer Dj forums to express your love thumbs up (good luck)

Your arguments are baseless

Of the three Pioneer production products none have been superseded by newer boxes

They've all had updates

I'm looking at the Squid manual now. It's perfectly readable

Anyway, forgetting Mr. Happy pissing on our chips, back to the Squid ... looks ace, like if you agree :-D
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next [all]
Page 1 of 11