MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

ES-40 w/MIDI Expansion Questions
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author ES-40 w/MIDI Expansion Questions
shreeswifty
Hello

i have an ES-40 setup that has the ESX8CV, ESX8GT, ES-7 and the midi expansion. i am working with a MAC & a FW Sound card at 96K.

here is a modular grid example of what i have
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/771464

I am currently using the Gridlock App that enables LaunchPad Pro to send a Drum Sequence through to the ESX8GT and it works perfectly

I am capturing CV from external sources via the ES-7 and using it to drive VST plugins

I am using REAKTOR inside Ableton to send chaotic voltages out to CV 3,4
I am using Silent Way to send CV/LFOs out 5,6 and i am using Numerology to send CV/Sequences out ESX8CV 7,8

Everything is setup and working but i am unable to get midi out of the DIN expander. i have it on 5 to at 5/1 & 5/2 i see the blinking clock on 5/1 but attaching a midi cable to my ETC [Critter & Guitari] video synth i see no midi input in the config screen.

I would like to send multiple clocks out to Video mixers fro BPM sync if possible

IS there/are there a Ableton Session that on can access that has everything working inside ONE project [a little GT, CV ES7 input and midi output [in one session?]

Everything else is working nicely but i would really love to use the extra clocks to add some midi sync & complexity to my Roland mixers.
os
How do you have the ES-4 Controller set up to output MIDI clock?
shreeswifty
i tried to set it in the ES-40 to send clock out on 5/1

but do i also set it in SW SYNC? I've tried pairs on 1/2, 3/4 and i get lights but no data
os
No, you don't use SW Sync to send MIDI.
shreeswifty
Are you saying MIDI is only handled from the ES-40 voice controller?
What i would like to do is send [If need be] 4 MIDI out Pairs or 8 individual outs that are synced to the BPM in ableton. I just do not know how to send note messages from an instrument in ableton out to a specific channel so for example if i set 5/1 with Clock on the ES40-Controller and i want to send MIDI Notes out through a different DIN how do i do that?
os
You add another ES-4 Controller, inserted after the first, and send the MIDI to that.
shreeswifty
So first Es4 controller for clock the second receives midi notes?
os
Yes.
shreeswifty
So i tried this
Added a second ES-4 Controller and nothing happens
i can set the first one to actually send out midi information to a device that is hooked up on 5/3 but i cannot get anything to come out of the 2nd es4-vc
shreeswifty
Let me clarify what i am testing
what i want to do is have midi sequences in sync with the Ableton BPM send midi out to the various midi outs

So i assume i need a VC for each output

Can i place the vc on each track or do i have to keep stacking it inside the main track that has my "original" on in there [the one routed out to the SPDIF via 9/10]

Will multiple routings to the SPDIF outs inside one session confuse things?
os
You don't want the Voice Controller, you want the ES-4 Controller. Perhaps that's what you meant.

You need an ES-4 Controller for each output. All stacked up as an insert chain.

Quote:
Will multiple routings to the SPDIF outs inside one session confuse things?

Yes.
shreeswifty
Can you tell me how to configure my Es-40 System so i can send midi from a track in Ableton out through the MIDI/DIN Expander please?

Things i can do

USE THE NOVATION Launch Pad PRO w/ Gridlock to send GATE/TRIGGERS to ESX8GT

USE REAKTOR BLOCKs to send Chaotic CV to ESX8CV

USE ES-7 to take CV from the Modular @ drive VSTi

What i cannot do yet:

i would like to take midi notes from a mid file placed on any track and play it out to the ESX8MD
i do not know how to route this properly
i would be very grateful for some help

I've created a Ableton Template that is working except for the ESX8-MD
After looking at this might you make a suggestion or better still save as?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q3zo8vk0v8n40in/CRUSOE99%20Project.zip?dl=0
os
You want an ES-4 Controller on the 'out to ES-40' track.

In the plug-in's 'MIDI Out' section set channel to 1. Choose the appropriate output for the 8MD. Then on your MIDII track set the 'MIDI to' to the 'out to ES-40' track, and input 1 of the plug-in (which will be called '1-SW ES-4 Controller' or similar).
shreeswifty
Hi

I have done that and i can see midi notes coming from one channel
But only one channel

I cannot seem to use the Gridlock AMXD at the same time
Gridlock seems to be sending out to that channel as well

I do not understand how to do multiple tracks

so for example i want one midi going out 5/4 and i want a second midi going out 5/8

If i place two Es-4-controllers one after each other only the first one works
os
For two MIDI outputs from two MIDI tracks, you want two ES-4 Controllers on the same (audio) track. You need to route each MIDI track to the right plug-in (not the track input).
shreeswifty
yes that is the most confusing part
could you share a picture of the right way it should look?
os
shreeswifty
awesome, i'll try this tonight
Baldanders
Hi there, I am in a similar situation, and I also don't get what to do.
-I have a ES-40 and an ESX-8MD, running Ableton 10 on a Win10 PC.
-I get MIDI out from the first output, I can select which MIDI channel my Ableton MIDI track is sending to in the chooser as in your screenshot above.
-I can't get more than one ESX-8MD MIDI port to work at any time.
-I would now like to output MIDI on all eight ports. I use several multitimbral synths / samplers.
-How can I get multiple MIDI channels on more than one ESX-8MD output? The problem I am facing is that I can only have the VST Instrument version of the ES-4 Voice Controller once, as the first "instrument" plug-in on a track. I can only open more instances of the VST effect version of the ES-4 Voice Controller, and this isn't multitimbral. So there's only a single input for it, other than in your screenshot above.
The LEDs are also blinking kinda randomly on some of the ports (not on the first one, there it works like a MIDI activity indicator).
Thanks a lot for pointers!
os
Quote:
I can only open more instances of the VST effect version of the ES-4 Voice Controller, and this isn't multitimbral. So there's only a single input for it, other than in your screenshot above.

This is a limitation (bug?) in Live's VST implementation. They should really fix that (perhaps you could mention it to Ableton support.)

FWIW the VST3 offers all 16 MIDI channels in Live.
Baldanders
os wrote:

FWIW the VST3 offers all 16 MIDI channels in Live.

Hi os, thanks a lot for your help. I tried to install the VST3 version of Silent Way, but for some reasons it won't show up in Ableton. I do have other VST3s installed and working correctly. Do you have another tip? Thanks!
os
Odd - it's working here. Where did you put the .vst3 file?
Baldanders
os wrote:
Odd - it's working here. Where did you put the .vst3 file?

I put it in the folder Program Files>Common Files>VST3. The standard VST3 folder, in which I also have the other (recognized) VST3s. Sorry to bother you with this.
Baldanders
Hm. I tried to rescan the plug-ins again, and realized Ableton Live hangs up when it comes to scanning Silent Way, just a spinning wheel next to the rescan button for 20 minutes. It's Ableton 10.1 Standard.
Baldanders
I got on the Ableton Beta Program, hoping it's an issue with Live that might be fixed in the Beta already, but no, the VST3 scan again hangs when it comes to Silent Way.
I gotta say if I had known how complicated it is to get stuff I just took for granted (being able to address all MIDI channels etc) to get going, I would have simply gotten an USAMO instead of the ES-40 and ES-8MD. The Expert Sleepers demo videos ("There you have it, jitter free MIDI from Ableton Live"...) didn't really do too much to disclose the complexities involved.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2