MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Midi module for Linnstrument
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Midi module for Linnstrument
Velazquez
Hi,
please, advise me which midi module would work best with Linnstrumet 128.
I have μTune, but I have not used the Midi option so far. I never really used Midi smile
What would you recommend to an inexperienced user? Is my Tubbutec enough?
I would like to use Linnstrument with E352 and 4ms SWN, which will soon appear in my case.
dotjayess
A couple of questions:

Are you planning to be able to play polyphonic, or leverage the MPE capabilities? If so, do you have enough voices or plan on expanding the voices in your rack to achieve this?

Do you wish to connect via USB or MIDI DIN? A module with a USB Host connection could power the Linnstrument and send midi data. If using MIDI DIN connection, the Linnstrument to have external power.
dotjayess
I just looked up the uTune, this should be plenty to get you started. This can provide 2 channels of Midi to CV conversion.

You would need to connect the linnstrument via Midi DIN and power the linnstrument externally via the usb connection. You would then configure the linnstument to send on the specific channels the uTune is configured to listen on.

While you wont be able to do proper MPE with this setup because the uTune only has 2 pitch and gate outputs, you could put the linnstrument in MPE mode and limit it to the 2 channels configured on the uTune. Connect the pitch and gate outputs to 2 different voices and be able to play 2 note polyphony with your current setup.
JES
Honestly, MPE on a modular is going to get big and expensive fast. An expert sleepers fh 1 or 2 can give you two full voices with pitch, gate, velocity, aftertouch and you get most of the benefits. One for each split. Yeah, no MPE but it’s easy to get hung up on specs. For MPE, I use software, which seems to be Roger Linn’s approach as well.
Velazquez
dotjayess wrote:
A couple of questions:

Are you planning to be able to play polyphonic, or leverage the MPE capabilities? If so, do you have enough voices or plan on expanding the voices in your rack to achieve this?

Do you wish to connect via USB or MIDI DIN? A module with a USB Host connection could power the Linnstrument and send midi data. If using MIDI DIN connection, the Linnstrument to have external power.

I would like to use it for polyphony. Mostly a six-voice polyphony. Mostly a six-voice polyphony. 4ms WSN has six independent 1v/oct. I can power it externally. I would like to be able to use all sensors like velocity, loudness, timbre and pitch.

So the best would be a module that gives me the opportunity to create a six-voice polyphony. Or maybe some solution is to buy two expanders to μTune:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/tubbutec-%CE%BCtune-expander

Unfortunately, they are not currently available and terribly expensive. I'm beginning to doubt whether Linnstrument is a good solution with a modular system :(
dotjayess
I think you should do some much deeper research before your next purchase.

It sounds like you are seeking a 6 voice MPE setup, based on the SWN, controlled by the linnstrument, as you mentioned you would like to use all axes of expression offered.

Do you understand the modes which the SWN operates in? If you use the 1v/oct jacks to control the pitch of each voice you do not have control of each voice's vca. You are not getting 6 discrete voices that can be externally controlled like a proper polysynth. There appears to be note change detection for the VCAs if run in this mode, but none of us know how well that actually works, or what midi to cv module would be best for this use case. I think you have created square peg/round hole situation for yourself.

As mentioned by JES above polyphonic or MPE in eurorack is going to get expensive fast. Blindly buying a linnstument with no MIDI experience and an unreleased module you have no idea of how or if it is even possible to integrate with the Linnstument is not a recipe for success and will only lead to frustration.

Seeing as you mentioned the uTune expander is terribly expensive, I honestly do not know what to recommend that would fit your budget and meet your goals.
Velazquez
dotjayess wrote:
I think you should do some much deeper research before your next purchase.

Fortunately, I have not yet bought Linnstrument smile I wanted to first learn something on the forum and then finally decide. I have a good opportunity to buy Linn cheaply, but I see that it is better to wait for SWN.

dotjayess wrote:
Seeing as you mentioned the uTune expander is terribly expensive, I honestly do not know what to recommend that would fit your budget and meet your goals.

Maybe I was exaggerating that the uTune expander is terribly expensive smile
It's a lot for an expander, especially if you have to buy two of them. Maybe it's better to buy something else at a similar price or even a bit more expensive? My budget is not so tight. It's more about whether it's worth spending so much for two expanders.

I would be happy to hear some recomandations. The price is not so important. I care more about how it works.
dotjayess
Your best options right now to get multiple channels of midi to cv would be:

Polyend Poly - 8 Channels of Gate, Pitch, Velocity, and Modulation

Endorphines Shuttle Control - 16 arbitrary assignable CV outs which can be assigned from nearly any midi message. Or configured with tempo synced clocks, LFOs pattern generators, etc.

Expert Sleepers FH-2 - Similar feature set to the Shuttle Control, only less outputs, expandable.

Mutable Instruments Yarns - 4 Channels of CV/Gate Conversion
batch
I use the FH1 + 3 expanders for my Linnstrument. Works well. I use both splits so have 8 midi channels running
Velazquez
If I decide to buy Linnstrument it will be probably in the configuration with Endorphines Shuttle Control. Such a first marriage of both modules, but probably not for a lifetime smile

Thank you for your help!
Sleipnir
Velazquez wrote:
I would like to use it for polyphony. Mostly a six-voice polyphony. Mostly a six-voice polyphony. 4ms WSN has six independent 1v/oct. I can power it externally. I would like to be able to use all sensors like velocity, loudness, timbre and pitch.

That part right there is what you need to really sit down and think about.
A 6-voice modular means 6 copies of your entire modular, including having to patch everything 6 times.
Ask yourself why it has to be modular (besides the fact it’s damn sexy).

The Linnstrument is amazing for modular (very expressive for 1-2 voices) but there is a reason poly modular is a rarity. I have over $30,000 in modules and I can’t do 6 voices.
seamonkeyman
I've run my modular as a 6 voice poly.

I'm using the Analogue Systems RS-370 Polyphonic Harmonic Generator to handle midi to CV duties, and Analogue Systems 2xRS8000's full of AS modules to handle most of the heavy lifting. On top of that I also have another big case to fill any gaps. So, it can be done, but you have to be a bit nutty/committed to get there. It's fun to do, to prove you can do it, but I don't patch that way regularly.

I'm not sure if the RS370 could work with a Linnstrument (I have one, but I've never tried), it may not have enough outs to handle the MPE info. As above Expert Sleepers may be the way ahead
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1