MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Routing MIDI to/fr Mult. ES Modules (Disting, General CV)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Author Routing MIDI to/fr Mult. ES Modules (Disting, General CV)
Naive Teen Idol
I've read through the forums and manuals but am still a bit confused.

At present I have the Disting mk4 and MIDI breakout (and love it). Were I to get another Disting or the General CV, would I need to replace the MIDI breakout with a Select Bus breakout to run MIDI to both modules? Or does the Select Bus not process the same MIDI information (meaning I would need both)?

Ideally, I'd like to have one breakout module send MIDI to and from the multiple ES modules. I do not (yet) have a module (i.e., Rene 2) that saves or initiates states.

Apologies if I missed a post that already answered this. I know some of this has been covered in various threads here but I'm not sure if it's all in one place or not.
os
A Select Bus breakout will send MIDI into multiple modules. It won't send MIDI out of them.

The disting will interpret MIDI on the select bus as regular MIDI. The General CV will not, currently - it will only use the select bus for select bus operations.

One thing you could do is daisy-chain the distings and use the 'soft thru' functionality.
Naive Teen Idol
Would a Soft Thru daisy chain work for a MIDI Breakout, Disting and a General CV? Or would that require a DIY switch?
os
You could go

Breakout -> Disting -> (soft thru) -> General CV

You couldn't use the disting's MIDI out in this scenario, but you could feed the GCV's out to the breakout's out.
Paranormal Patroler
Is it possible to have a disting mk4 act as the select bus sender/controler? If not, is it something you'd consider adding in a firmware update? Seems very reasonable to be able to control Distings from one Disting.
os
It's not, and it's a hardware thing. There's no way the disting can send on the select bus. It's just not connected that way.
Paranormal Patroler
No worries, I assumed that would be the case. I can't think of any other reason why yhe Disting doesn't cover that ground also. Thanks for verifying.
Paranormal Patroler
Curious, isn't there a way to connect the MIDI expansion header to the select bus? Granted, the module wouls have to send the appropriate message then, but humour me, is that impossible?
os
You could connect the MIDI breakout to the select bus breakout, yes.

https://expert-sleepers.co.uk/selectbusbreakout.html
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Page 1 of 1