MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Behringer Neutron (loud 150hz hum, buttons don't work)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Behringer Neutron (loud 150hz hum, buttons don't work)
Rex Coil 7
Bought a used Neutron. When powered on with the volume knob on "1" (first volume control marking) all I get is a pretty loud hum around 150hz or so. None of the VCO range buttons work (pressing them does not move the range LEDs at all).

Is this something that is fixable via firmware upload or some other magic handshake? The power supply seems to be putting out the correct voltage, even under load.

seriously, i just don't get it
Hyberus
Contact Behringer Care. It doesn't sound like a firmware problem, so it may be hardware related. Either way let them investigate it for you
Rex Coil 7
Hyberus wrote:
Contact Behringer Care. It doesn't sound like a firmware problem, so it may be hardware related. Either way let them investigate it for you
Thank you! I've never even heard of Behringer Care before. So thank you for the help, I'll get right to it!

The Chewbacca Defense
Rex Coil 7
lol lol lol I'm trying to do too many things at once here, consequently I'm not getting forward. Last night our deaf cat "Peep" stepped on the power switch for the power strip that our TV and DVR box are plugged in to and shut the power off on them. Somehow, that roasted the cable/DVR encoder box and we've had no TV/cable since then. We got the encoder replaced today but the boot up routine is totally different ... so I've got PDF files open to get that done, plus attempting to deal with Behringer, and on hold with the cable provider waiting for them to ping to encoder.

I'm tripping over my own feet here!!! ....

lol lol

Maybe do one thing at a time, yea?

d'oh! d'oh! d'oh! d'oh! d'oh! d'oh! d'oh!
Muzone
There's a factory reset button sequence that might help....

Factory reset procedure:
Wile pressing the "OSC SYNC", "PARAPHONIC" & "KEY TRK" buttons, power on the Neutron. The LFO LEDs should display a pulsating pattern.

Pot calibration:
While the LFO LEDs are pulsating, turn the OSC1 Shape pot fully counter-clockwise and the OSC2 Shape, LFO Shape, LFO Rate & Porta pots fully clockwise. When the pots have been correctly positioned, press VCF "MODE" and LFO "KEY SYNC" simultaneously.
Rex Coil 7
Muzone wrote:
There's a factory reset button sequence that might help....

Factory reset procedure:
Wile pressing the "OSC SYNC", "PARAPHONIC" & "KEY TRK" buttons, power on the Neutron. The LFO LEDs should display a pulsating pattern.

Pot calibration:
While the LFO LEDs are pulsating, turn the OSC1 Shape pot fully counter-clockwise and the OSC2 Shape, LFO Shape, LFO Rate & Porta pots fully clockwise. When the pots have been correctly positioned, press VCF "MODE" and LFO "KEY SYNC" simultaneously.
Y'know, I've looked around a fairly good bit on the web about just such a ~factory reset~ sequence and was unable to locate it. That said, thank you very much for the help, I'll give that a whack after supper this evening.

Big help!! Thanks again.

thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up
Muzone
If you "do facebook" there's a helpful group for Neutron
https://www.facebook.com/groups/BehringerNeutron/
There's a couple of posters who are testers &/or seem to have a hotline to the development team.....
Rex Coil 7
... contacted Behringer a few days back, no reply yet. I'll hit them up again later today ...
Hyberus
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
... contacted Behringer a few days back, no reply yet. I'll hit them up again later today ...

At least one of the testers monitors the Neutron FaceBook page.
calaveras
It's a used Behringer. That is the lowest possible rung on the gear ladder. You can't expect much.
Rex Coil 7
calaveras wrote:
It's a used Behringer. That is the lowest possible rung on the gear ladder. You can't expect much.
... Except that after I made contact with them they've issued an RMA number and they're repairing it under warranty with no cost to me. They even sent a shipping label so I could ship it to them on their dime.

I have no qualm with Behringer. I'm not one of those that cares about the "cloning" meh people get their undies in a knot about. Not one bit do I care. This is the first Behringer unit I've ever had fail. My brother owns one of their 24ch mixers, I have two compressors, and the Neutron.

Nope, don't care one little bit. They're treating me right.

thumbs up
Funch
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
calaveras wrote:
... Except that after I made contact with them they've issued an RMA number and they're repairing it under warranty with no cost to me. They even sent a shipping label so I could ship it to them on their dime.

I have no qualm with Behringer. I'm not one of those that cares about the "cloning" meh people get their undies in a knot about. Not one bit do I care. This is the first Behringer unit I've ever had fail. My brother owns one of their 24ch mixers, I have two compressors, and the Neutron.

Nope, don't care one little bit. They're treating me right.

thumbs up
not sure its entirely the cloning issue that gets Behringer the bad rep. Lots of companies clone all kinds of products that are in the public domain with expired patents.

I drew the line when Behringer tried to sue members of a web forum. I purchased the model D before that all went down and I ignored other folks who were criticizing Behringer for their questionable business practices. I even defended the company by reasoning that many companies engage in the same type of questionable Behavior and the model D was only $254 and sounds great, wobble jacks and all.

Then you realize that we humans are very good at coming up with rationalizations to defend any action the favors our bottom line, whether that be dollars, perceived social status or ego gratification.

However at some point you get tired of supporting low life and have to decide whether or not to vote with your wallet.

No more Behringer for me but I don't care if other people don't make that choice.
Rex Coil 7
.. if you knew what went on in any number of big businesses that are patronized a thousand times each day, you'd never buy anything from anyone. ("you" in the rhetorical sense).

I'm not privy to German libel laws, there's a good chance they're very different from libel laws in other countries/cultures. I've seen many lawsuits for far less, that is sure. So I elect to not make a judgement on Behringer.

I'd also point out that only one side of the entire story of Behringer is known. I learned a long time ago to reserve judgement until I know all of the facts from both sides of a given issue.

Look, folks are free to make their own choices. Just as I am. I don't care what others chose to be angry about. I've never been one to follow the pack on pretty much anything. I'm also done defending my choice to purchase and own a Behringer device. Those of you that chose otherwise, you may continue to be angry about something you can do nothing about. I chose another path. Life is far too short. A very wise man once said "My heart surgeon said there are two rules you need to live by .... 1.) Don't sweat the little shit. 2.) It's all little shit."

thumbs up

More bitching and using this thread as a platform to whine about the Bad Ol' Boogeyman Behringer and I'll simply ignore the posts. Go cause trouble elsewhere, I'm not having it.

Careful up there on that tall horse some of you ride. It's a long way down when it bucks you off .... and it will buck you off, that is certain. We live in a circular universe ... what you put out will come back to you ten fold. Good or bad. There isn't one single person on this planet that is free of mistakes, free of making bad choices, free of imperfection. Not one.

pbear :(

EDIT: One other thing to consider ... I bought this Neutron used, Behringer already got their money from someone else on this. Therefor I'm not supporting a (and I quote) "low life business".

I'm 58 years old. I don't want to spend any more of my time on petty issues. I have already tried saving the world ... twice ... but the world doesn't want to be saved. So I have given enough of my self, my soul, my mind, my body. What I have left is devoted to spending my time with my family.

thumbs up
ngarjuna
So not knowing even the most basic facts of the case (like what country the suit was in or the fact that the suit was so baseless it fell immediately to an anti-SLAPP motion) you still feel comfortable posting a multi-page essay about how you feel about your (factually incorrect) impressions. Speaking of high horses...
oscilloscope
calaveras wrote:

So you don't like Behringer products. Got it.
But there is no need to be supercilious or snotty about it.

lol
oscilloscope
Funch wrote:

No more Behringer for me but I don't care if other people don't make that choice.

Thanks ! That's very big of you. thumbs up
Funch
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
.. if you knew what went on in any number of big businesses that are patronized a thousand times each day, you'd never buy anything from anyone. ("you" in the rhetorical sense).

I'm not privy to German libel laws, there's a good chance they're very different from libel laws in other countries/cultures. I've seen many lawsuits for far less, that is sure. So I elect to not make a judgement on Behringer.

I'd also point out that only one side of the entire story of Behringer is known. I learned a long time ago to reserve judgement until I know all of the facts from both sides of a given issue.

Look, folks are free to make their own choices. Just as I am. I don't care what others chose to be angry about. I've never been one to follow the pack on pretty much anything. I'm also done defending my choice to purchase and own a Behringer device. Those of you that chose otherwise, you may continue to be angry about something you can do nothing about. I chose another path. Life is far too short. A very wise man once said "My heart surgeon said there are two rules you need to live by .... 1.) Don't sweat the little shit. 2.) It's all little shit."

thumbs up

More bitching and using this thread as a platform to whine about the Bad Ol' Boogeyman Behringer and I'll simply ignore the posts. Go cause trouble elsewhere, I'm not having it.

Careful up there on that tall horse some of you ride. It's a long way down when it bucks you off .... and it will buck you off, that is certain. We live in a circular universe ... what you put out will come back to you ten fold. Good or bad. There isn't one single person on this planet that is free of mistakes, free of making bad choices, free of imperfection. Not one.

pbear :(

EDIT: One other thing to consider ... I bought this Neutron used, Behringer already got their money from someone else on this. Therefor I'm not supporting a (and I quote) "low life business".

I'm 58 years old. I don't want to spend any more of my time on petty issues. I have already tried saving the world ... twice ... but the world doesn't want to be saved. So I have given enough of my self, my soul, my mind, my body. What I have left is devoted to spending my time with my family.

thumbs up
hard to respond until I get the straw out of my teeth, such is the life of a straw man.
Panason
sounds like a dead Beutron. I think you will be happy with it once you get a working unit... It's exactly what it's supposed to be and sounds truly massive.. In fact, if used for bass duties you may have to use EQ to trim some of the fat SlayerBadger!

I know where calaveras is coming from as well. I don't expect my Neutron to work in 5 years' time but hey, it was cheap.
onthebandwagon
Rex Coil 7 wrote:

Thank you for sharing your fascinating life story.
Panason
shoo
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1