MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Stands I'm working on for the Make Noise Powered Skiff
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Stands I'm working on for the Make Noise Powered Skiff
chuckleone
I wanted to 3D print myself some stands for the Make Noise powered skiff so I did a little design sketch in Fusion360.

What do you think?

I'm hoping to get a few printed out in the next fews days to see how well they work and how I like the angle. I may end up designing a second set that have a steeper angle that's better for sitting, etc.

Would anyone be interested in a set(2) if I made these available for a few $$$ on reverb or etsy?
Catchthehare
It looks good to me... But personally I would get rid of the back lip and trim the front one a bit. Not sure what dimensions you are working with - the important part is make sure it is wide enough so it doesn't easily tip left or right. I can see that the back lip will make some difference in the stability holding the skiff in place, but if you're planning on selling them then at least people can use them for other size cases / gear, and that opens up your market. Just my two cents thumbs up
Groundloop
I'd be interested in a stand for two MN skiffs, but I don't know enough (read: anything) about the limits of 3D printing. I've got one skiff now and I'm perfectly happy with it sitting flat (on a lower than "normal" table), as it's got PP and René in it. I've been thinking of getting a new case to replace the Mantis that I have, and have seriously considered getting 2 more MN skiffs, but would need some kind of stand for them.

Enough about me! Design looks good so far, and I'm interested to see what they look like when printed.
chuckleone
Thanks for the feedback!

I’m working with dimensions of the make noise skiff that I’ve gotten from measuring mine and from grabbing info off the MN website.

I’m down for making a universal version and stands for larger ones but for the first iteration I’d like to keep it focused on the MN case so that I can get something really fine tuned for that one. It’s easy enough for me to mod the original design files but not so easy to print and test prototypes for cases I don’t have access to.

I’ll post some pictures when I have a couple printed. Cheers!
chuckleone
Here is a draft quality 3D print of the stands i designed:

They fit the Make Noise Skiff like a glove:

I designed them with the Korg Volca stands I got off thingiverse by user Will695 so they line up perfectly creating an almost seamless workspace

https://www.thingiverse.com/Will695/about

I also added a soft rubber anti slip tape to the bottoms to keep things nice and stationary.
Abyssinianloop
These look great. Just the right amount of angle for my needs too.
chuckleone
Abyssinianloop wrote:
These look great. Just the right amount of angle for my needs too.

Thank you!

I started working on a second set that have a steeper angle for even better seated usage:

cackland
These looks great. Well done.

Are you only building for MN skiffs atm? Or planning on doing other designs?
chuckleone
cackland wrote:

Are you only building for MN skiffs atm? Or planning on doing other designs?

At the moment I'm focusing on the MN skiff since I have one and can easily test my prototype prints. I can easily modify the design to fit other cases but it would be difficult for me to test them since there are no stores within a 100 or so miles of where I live that carry modular gear.

I would love to branch out to other manufacturers' skiffs, I just need to figure out a way to get hold of their cases for design and testing.
insoul8
I'd probably grab a set of the steeper ones for the MN skiff. How much are you thinking of selling them for?
chuckleone
insoul8 wrote:
I'd probably grab a set of the steeper ones for the MN skiff. How much are you thinking of selling them for?

I'm still figuring my total cost but I'm thinking a set(2) with adhesive anti slip material strips for the bottom would be somewhere around $20-$25.
chuckleone
cackland wrote:

Thank you!
insoul8
chuckleone wrote:
insoul8 wrote:

I'm still figuring my total cost but I'm thinking a set(2) with adhesive anti slip material strips for the bottom would be somewhere around $20-$25.

Awesome. Put me down for a set. smile
chuckleone
insoul8 wrote:
chuckleone wrote:
insoul8 wrote:

Awesome. Put me down for a set. smile

Cool. I'll update this thread when I get to the point where they are ready. I still need to print and test a set of the steeper stands to make sure the design is correctly balanced before I could fill an order.
chuckleone
Also, as a side note - the steeper design that I posted is 5mm narrower that the original design. The ideas was to make them narrow enough to fit in between the offset rubber feet that ship with the MN skiff. I have yet to test this feature but if it works well I may end up making the original design narrower to work this way as well.

We'll see how it goes.
chuckleone
First prototype of the upright angled stands:

So far the balance of them seem good, at least without patch cables attached. Tonight I'll add the rubber anti slip pads to the bottom and be testing these stands all week. I gave the original stands(lower angled) a go for an hour or so last night and they work well. I'm thinking I'll keep both designs and market them as geared toward either Live or Studio(upright) use.

I'm hoping to have a finished product design this week and will start taking orders and/posting available sets on Reverb within the next few weeks.

I know there are options out there that are more open in design for use different brand cases and I would really like to explore developing something like that next. I just need to figure out a good way to test them with other cases. I think if these 2 designs are balanced properly, I can iterate on them and create a set that can be used with other skiffs and possibly other products such as controllers, desktop synths and groove boxes.
behndy
i am LISTENING. look nice suh!
cackland
How stable are these? Do you any material underneath to stop slipping? Rubber feet etc?
chuckleone
behndy wrote:
i am LISTENING. look nice suh!

Thank you! Will keep you posted on this.

cackland wrote:
How stable are these? Do you any material underneath to stop slipping? Rubber feet etc?

There's an adhesive strip of ant-slip rubber on the bottom. I've tested the lowered angled set and they are very stable with this added. I'll be testing the upright angled tonight(patching and playing) and will report back but I do not believe there will be any issues with stability.
forrest
Very nice, 3d printing is so cool.. I'd pick up a pair of these so long as they were sticking well to the table surface..

"I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. "

good movie too..
chuckleone
forrest wrote:
Very nice, 3d printing is so cool.. I'd pick up a pair of these so long as they were sticking well to the table surface..

"I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. "

good movie too..

Thanks.

I think I'll post some clips of them use for people to see how they work in action.
cackland
Good to hear these are stable.

Curious, how long does a set take to print? Are you looking at a variety of colors?
chuckleone
These take about 4 hours per pair to print. If there’s enough demand for it I would offer various colors.
miguchi
chuckleone
Looks good! It would be a great excuse to use Fusion's Shape Optimization tool!
cackland
chuckleone wrote:
These take about 4 hours per pair to print. If there’s enough demand for it I would offer various colors.

Wow.. didn't realize it was that long of a process.
chuckleone
cackland wrote:
chuckleone wrote:

Wow.. didn't realize it was that long of a process.

It's approximately 2 hours per stand at the current quality level and infill amount. I could shave off a bit of time by playing with the settings a bit but I'm pretty happy with the results so I hesitate to mess with it too much.
cackland
Of course, not saying to reduce the quality or anything to reduce to amount of print time.

Just didn't realize that 3D printing took that long. I'm sure it also depends on the settings you mentioned and perhaps the type of printer. I wouldn't know, only speculating here as never owned one.

The technology is fascinating though.
DDJ
I'd grab a set of the the less steep option!
Abyssinianloop
I'm also eager to pick up a set of the less steep option in black.

These will be great!
chuckleone
Update:

After several days of testing I've decided that the steeper angled set(I'm calling these the Studio set) need some design tweaking. They seem to pitch forward a bit and I feel that they could cause the skiff to tip forward during use. I will make some changes, print another prototype and test again.

The lowered angled set(I'm calling these the Live set) are proving to work very well. I performed a 4 hour live session on Friday using these and they are very stable. They worked really well placed on a folding table allowing room in front of the skiff for a Novation Circuit, Korg Monologue and a small 6 ch mixer, while also allowing for cabling to be run underneath the skiff.

Here's a picture of the setup I used that night:

I feel confident moving forward with making the Live set available to anyone who wants them.

DDJ wrote:
I'd grab a set of the the less steep option!

Abyssinianloop wrote:
I'm also eager to pick up a set of the less steep option in black.

These will be great!

Please PM me and I would be happy to get the process going.

The price for the set(2) will be $25 USD payable via paypal. Price includes shipping to anywhere in the continental United States.

For anyone outside the continental US, including international sales, the price may be a bit higher to accommodate for additional shipping costs. I can get you a quote for cost before we proceed with the transaction.

Anyone interested in the Live set please PM me, those looking to grab the Studio set please be patient and I will have a revised design available soon.

Thanks everyone!
Abyssinianloop
My set just arrived and I took a few pics to show how they work in my setup. I always patch and play sitting in front of my system and I prefer my rack upright so I can stare directly at it. My main rack is an Elite Modular 104 HP in a guitar stand. I also have a MN skiff sitting flat in front of the main rack, which I like except for the fact that it forces me to hunch forward to see what I'm patching.

Chuck's stand allows me to stitch my two cases together seamlessly into a perfectly cohesive system at just the right angle. I know he's designed these as the performance set for use while standing but they're a perfect solution for a seated situation as well.

As far as quality goes, they are a perfect fit for the MN skiff, absolutely stable, and extremely lightweight. I suspect they are rather durable as well. Just exactly what I'd hoped they would be.

chuckleone
Abyssinianloop wrote:
My set just arrived and I took a few pics to show how they work in my setup. I always patch and play sitting in front of my system and I prefer my rack upright so I can stare directly at it. My main rack is an Elite Modular 104 HP in a guitar stand. I also have a MN skiff sitting flat in front of the main rack, which I like except for the fact that it forces me to hunch forward to see what I'm patching.

Chuck's stand allows me to stitch my two cases together seamlessly into a perfectly cohesive system at just the right angle. I know he's designed these as the performance set for use while standing but they're a perfect solution for a seated situation as well.

As far as quality goes, they are a perfect fit for the MN skiff, absolutely stable, and extremely lightweight. I suspect they are rather durable as well. Just exactly what I'd hoped they would be.

I'm so happy that these worked out well for you! Your setup looks great!

Thank you the update and posting pics!
hallospceboy
Those look great! I was trying to get my friend to print some up for me and he never got around to it...
Very soon I'll be investing in a two panel Serge. Any thoughts on 4U?
chuckleone
hallospceboy wrote:
Those look great! I was trying to get my friend to print some up for me and he never got around to it...
Very soon I'll be investing in a two panel Serge. Any thoughts on 4U?

I'm definitely interested in expanding the selection to other cases and sizes in the future.
hallospceboy
i will follow up once i get my system... bookmarked the thread!
chuckleone
hallospceboy wrote:
i will follow up once i get my system... bookmarked the thread!

Awesome, have fun! Keep us posted!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 2