MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

External input, gate/trigger detector, env.follower
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author External input, gate/trigger detector, env.follower
mem0ryM4gnet
I want to replace my very old Doepfer A-119 external input module cause the amp doesn't work right anymore.
Regarding the gate/trigger detector there seem to be a bunch of modules out there that work in the same way as the A-119 - a gate signal is generated whenever the signal/env goes above an adjustable threshold...
What i would prefer is a trigger generator that works like the one in the Schippmann ebbe und flut: there is no threshold parameter, but only a slow or fast mode. A trigger is generated whenever the signal is rising - also when its quiet..... Kind of hard to explain, but its by far the best trigger generator i've ever had the joy to play with (with electric guitar, but also when processing anything else)...
Now im wondering if there is anything like this out there in a eurorack module ?
Ideally Schippmann would release a new module with just the trigger detector and env. follower of the ebbe and flut, for a price that i can afford....
Or maybe its possible to patch such a trigger generator with existing modules ?
Joe.
The Envelope Follower's output into a slope detector like Elby's?
mem0ryM4gnet
Wow, this looks great! Not sure why i didn't find that before...Thanks for the tip!
Joe.
It's a nice module, but it's about half a meter deep, make sure you have room in your case first thumbs up
electricanada
mem0ryM4gnet wrote:
I want to replace my very old Doepfer A-119 external input module cause the amp doesn't work right anymore.
Regarding the gate/trigger detector there seem to be a bunch of modules out there that work in the same way as the A-119 - a gate signal is generated whenever the signal/env goes above an adjustable threshold...
What i would prefer is a trigger generator that works like the one in the Schippmann ebbe und flut: there is no threshold parameter, but only a slow or fast mode. A trigger is generated whenever the signal is rising - also when its quiet..... Kind of hard to explain, but its by far the best trigger generator i've ever had the joy to play with (with electric guitar, but also when processing anything else)...
Now im wondering if there is anything like this out there in a eurorack module ?
Ideally Schippmann would release a new module with just the trigger detector and env. follower of the ebbe and flut, for a price that i can afford....
Or maybe its possible to patch such a trigger generator with existing modules ?

You may find the Ladik J-110 interesting.
Gizmo
You may find the synthesizers.com Q118 useful.
Funch
https://sonicsmith.com/products/convertorplus/

Its the panel size of eurorack but in tabletop form.Guessing it could be adapted to fit a eurorack case.
mem0ryM4gnet
electricanada wrote:

You may find the Ladik J-110 interesting.

Yes, very interesting too indeed, thanks!!
I'm intrigued by these Ladik modules in general.
The harmonics LFO for example looks very cool too... I just wish it would go a bit higher into audio range.
I like their size as well though...very compact!
And the prices too!
mem0ryM4gnet
Gizmo wrote:
You may find the synthesizers.com Q118 useful.

Thanks, but, eurorack here...
I guess i should have posted this in the dedicated eurorack forum which i discovered a bit too late..
mem0ryM4gnet
Funch wrote:
https://sonicsmith.com/products/convertorplus/

Its the panel size of eurorack but in tabletop form.Guessing it could be adapted to fit a eurorack case.

Hell yes, i've definitely been living 'behind the moon', as we say here, these last few years.
Also very interesting stuff! Regarding adapting it to fit eurorack . i'm not really a DIY guy, at least when it comes to 'hardware'... It would probably fall apart after 2 weeks...I think i wait for someone to release a eurorack ACO .
Rex Coil 7
* Dot Com Q118 Instrument Interface.

* Dot Com "BOX1" to house it in.

* Dot Com "QPS4" power supply.

= a very handy instrument interface .... that is "stand alone" and may be used with any/many systems, no matter the format. It sends both a trigger and a gate signal when the incoming signal exceeds the fully adjustable threshold control. It also sends an "envelope" signal when the incoming signal exceeds the threshold that you've set with the Threshold control. A well spent $92 bucks. Mounting it in a single space enclosure (yes, there is such a thing and it's called the "BOX1"). The "BOX" series enclosures already have the module power cables and power distribution all pre-installed in each "BOX" enclosure, no matter the size (BOX1, BOX2, BOX4, BOX11, and so on).

I mean, at least give it all a look-see before you say ~no~. This little setup will provide you with what essentially is a desktop instrument interface with Gate, Trigger, Envelope, and "To Amp" outputs and fully adjustable threshold control. The "AMP" output is the boosted incoming signal that you patch into your modular synth.

Q118 Instrument Interface LINK = https://www.synthesizers.com/q118.html

BOX1 Enclosure LINK = https://www.synthesizers.com/qcb124.html

QPS4 Power Supply LINK = https://www.synthesizers.com/qps4.html

Rockin' Banana! MiniMoog
mem0ryM4gnet
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
I mean, at least give it all a look-see before you say ~no~. This little setup will provide you with what essentially is a desktop instrument interface with Gate, Trigger, Envelope, and "To Amp" outputs and fully adjustable threshold control. The "AMP" output is the boosted incoming signal that you patch into your modular synth.

Cool, I did have a closer look at the Dot Com modules in general, and they are way more affordable than I (for whatever reason) thought.
But anyway, I suspect you may have been miss-reading my initial post, where i first say that i want to replace my A-119 but then say that I'd prefer something that works different from a threshold-based gate-detection.
That said, i may end up getting *both* a threshold-based input/amp and env.follower such as the A-119 in combination with something like the elby slote detector that was suggested earlier...
Then i'd have max. control/flexibility...
The Ladik J-110 would be the cheapest option, but i'm uncertain how good the amplifier-part of the module is and if it can for exmpl handle electric guitar DI okay.. (same for other Ladik modules like the audio to trigg...). The A-119 does that really well in my experience.
I'm sure the Dot Com module you link to also handles passive pickups fine (says so on the page), but even with that, I actually prefer to have it all within the same system. Also, for me personally, the Dot Com stuff in general does not appeal as much as some of the euro stuff such as intellijel and also Doepfer themselfes etc... Dot com is more traditional-modular-synth-type-stuff with a moog-ish feel to it (at least visually) and thats not so much what i'm into.. Obviously its different for others, and every manufacturer has its own 'character' and sound to them - its just that i have a hard enough time to keep up with all the eurorack modules that are out there these days so i'm not very motivated to even add another type of syystem/format to my setup smile
The words i used may have been confusing. I still think that the A-119 is a great module for the features that it has. DI guitar sounds really good, in general the amp was quite good and low noise etc., env. follower works well, so does the threshold-based gate.
As said, mine was very old. There are four modules from the first Doepfer A-100 system that i bought (~20 years ago, secondhand) that i still have in my system today. I sold most of that first system at some point, except for the A-119, my beloved (still!) A-121 filter*, a simple A-145 LFO and a A-145 dual ringmod.
They are all in my system still, just the amp part of the A-119 gets really noisy past ~ 7 o'clock AM knob position now. With an external DI / preamp / amp, it still works as an env follower / gate detector etc... which is what i was doing these last few weeks, but, I want to get everything within my system again as it was so i can plug+ play guitar directly into it without anything else, plus with somewhat different / more features (gate on rising / falling level etc..).

*The A-121 is THE filter for me, it was the first one i got (together with an A-120 which i never really liked much). I've played with countless others trough the years, including amazing ones such as the Schippmann, but the A-121 still sounds really good every time i get back to it. (its the discontinued CEM3320 based one)
Parnelli
I picked up a Befaco I2 for this purpose, but I have't used it much yet.... what little I have I like it though.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1